Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privacy of Euro Millions Winners

Options
  • 18-11-2006 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I just heard an interview with the owner of the shop that sold one of the Irish winning tickets in last night's draw.

He said that they were going to the cameras soon to try to identify the purchaser of the ticket.

How outrageous is that? Is it even legal?

I wonder if this falls within the purview of the Data Protection Commissioner. If it was me, I certainly wouldn't consent to my identity as a lottery winner being released. In that case, would it not be a breach of the Data Protection acts?

Still, if I was one of the winners I don't imagine I'd be too concerned about anything right now. <sigh>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved up from sub-forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The winners are very likely to become victims of protection rackets, blackmail, and kidnappings from every two bit oppurtunistic crime gang. Their privacy should be protected, but unfortunately wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Don't agree with CCTV being reviewed to find them but from what I know when your woman won it from Limerick one of the conditions of entry was an obligation to go public, not sure if they have the same term applied to people who've won a big prize but not the top one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Got to agree with the OP....I purposely try and avoid doing large lottery draw purchases in shops where cameras are evident, for the very reason of wishing to remain anon in the small chance of a win.

What business is it of the shop owner, who it is bought the ticket? They get some kind of win bonus themselves from this IIRC, so the only thing I can think of is that they wish to have this for tomorrow's comi...sorry, papers.

If I was the winner in this case I'd be concerned about this...and rightly so. You're not placed into the public domain unless it is at your own wish in cases like this and with good reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Wouldn't like that myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

one of the conditions of winning the jackpot in the euromillions us that you agree to puclicity.
    but seeing as though nobody won the actual jackpot they can stay anonymous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wow, going to the CCTV footage is very underhanded.

I'd be very uncomfortable with that myself.

Ah different than the domestic lottery then....be nice to have some sort of opt-out tick box option or something...

Not that I'll likely need to be worrying...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The CCTV footage would only be of use if it could see the numbers on the persons ticket. And that would mean it could see a lot more private stuff like when you type in your pin number.

If the ticket wasn't a quick pick then the issue of copyright could apply.

TBH for €9m you could hire a good lawyer, good PI to dig up dirt, bribe a politician - lots of ways to make the snitches life difficult without having to pay for them to be beaten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

the shop would know what time the ticket was sold so they come fast forward to that time and see who the winner was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

admiralgar wrote:
    one of the conditions of winning the jackpot in the euromillions us that you agree to puclicity.

So does that mean you can't actually collect the money without getting your face plastered all over the papers? :confused: Bummer!

Personally I couldn't care less knowing about who had won and I certainly wouldn't want others knowing I had won either.

Yeah I'd have no problems with general details (sex, status, age, area) being revealed, but names (and by inference, through google) address, etc is no-one elses business....as a player who contributed money to the jackpot pool I'd have no problem not knowing specifically who any winner is...knowing their general details is more than enough for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

admiralgar wrote:
    but seeing as though nobody won the actual jackpot they can stay anonymous

Where does it say that?
    Just went through the national lottery website and all the downloads ...couldn't find anyting to that regard.

I certainly wouldn't fancy having to spend the rest of my life living in constant fear ...not worth it ...not even for 180 Million.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The winners are very likely to become victims of protection rackets, blackmail, and kidnappings from every two bit oppurtunistic crime gang. Their privacy should be protected, but unfortunately wont.
    i hope that doesn't happen to me. i won the euro millions the other night

i won 9 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

where was the ticket won,how much was won

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Two Irish winners of over 9 million euro. Not sure where they were sold. Haven't checked mine yet. I live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Winners privacy should be protected at all costs, imo. There are gangs out there willing to do nasty things to winners relatives to get their filthy hands on some of the money and the organizers of Euromillions must know this. By forcing winners to go public they are putting people in danger. They are only interested in the publicity.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In fairness it's better we know whose defence the last euromillions win was spent on.

Actually, a whole load of people working in the revenue commissioners got pulled up for accessing her record.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

i won 9 euro
    Gimme 3 euro or I'll kill your family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

bennyx_o wrote:
    Two Irish winners of over 9 million euro. Not sure where they were sold. Haven't checked mine yet. I live in hope.
    One was in Limerick apparently. Another Euromillions win in Limerick...the chances of that eh?
    Red Alert wrote:
    Actually, a whole load of people working in the revenue commissioners got pulled up for accessing her record
    She was investigated for welfare fraud wasn't she? Considering the family are a pack of knackers, it wouldn't surprise me. God only knows what they're spending that money on, one can only hope some went to charity. Didn't hear the outcome of the investigation though, maybe she settled it quietly.

Thought it was hilarious that she denied being related to Noddy McCarthy (or was it McNamara?) though and then the papers went and proved the relationship between them.
    He was hiring Sadam Husseins lawyer for his defence, though last I heard she was refusing to pay for it.

The other €9million was won outside Dublin too afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

i won 9 euro

So did i!Can i just go into the shop to cash it?I wouldnt very much like to travel into the lotto building in town,probably wouldnt be worth the 9 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

maxi-twist wrote:
    So did i!Can i just go into the shop to cash it?I wouldnt very much like to travel into the lotto building in town,probably wouldnt be worth the 9 euro!
    Afaik yeah, you can.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

p~b wrote:
    the shop would know what time the ticket was sold so they come fast forward to that time and see who the winner was
    D'oh :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Just get the guy who did Mrs.Doubtfires makeup and collect your winnings as an old lady/transvestite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

rb_ie wrote:
    Noddy McCarthy

Scum.

For every action there's a reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

peasant wrote:
    Where does it say that?
    Just went through the national lottery website and all the downloads ...couldn't find anyting to that regard.

I certainly wouldn't fancy having to spend the rest of my life living in constant fear ...not worth it ...not even for 180 Million.
    yeah is that not just a rumour or some myth, because its not the first time i have heard it, yet i have never heard it from an offical source.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Kold wrote:
    Gimme 3 euro or I'll kill your family
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

do you want it in small unmarked bills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Right to ANONYMITY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

rb_ie wrote:
    One was in Limerick apparently. Another Euromillions win in Limerick...the chances of that eh?
    They must spend all their dole money on the lottery. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The identity of the Limerick winner is in the Sindo today. The other winner was in Mitchelstown, Co.Cork.

This is the one thing that would worry me about winning euromillions, having your details smathered all over the papers. Best thing to do would be sod off abroad somewhere for a while til the dust settles. If I won the normal lottery I'd tell no-one (family included) until I had gone to Lottery HQ on the monday and banked the cash. Tell no-one. Better off doing the euromillions in a shop where nobody knows you, that way even if they check cctv footage it wouldn't matter.

Advertisement