Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSIA Letter

Options
  • 17-11-2006 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭

Got a letter of the bank who i have my SSIA with yesterday with the finish date end of April it.

Its says my current balance is around €18K before tax.

I am doing the max so can I add on €254 every month until it is finished.

What tax will I be paying??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I don't think you pay tax on the capital or 25% govt add on but will pay tax on any interest paid by the bank if its a deposit account or on capital gains if its an equity type SSIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

afaik you pay tax on the growth only at 23%

Exit tax its known as

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Yes, 23 per cent on interest from bank, nothing on money from Govt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

TheDriver wrote:
    Yes, 23 per cent on interest from bank, nothing on money from Govt

Exactly.
    You are paying the DIRT tax because all the interest was paid to your account during the term of the SSIA Gross of all taxes.

Probably in case they have to apply all the taxes that could potentially apply in a case where the T&C's of the SSIA were not adhered to. (like being out of the country, using someone else's money to pay for it, opening multiple a/c's etc)

L.

Advertisement