Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy to let,finance question.

Options
  • 16-11-2006 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

What method do people raising finance for a buy to let property use?
    Do they take a investment loan or a remortgage or what do they do?
    a friend is thinking of going down this route and i decided to ask the people in the know.YE LOT!!

Regards,

Kieran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

kmb wrote:
    They dont pay paye
    I wouldnt be going round publicising that......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sarahhurray

presumably they are self employed which is why are they are not paying paye, perfectly normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Apologies I got a bit mixed up I thought he was talking about tax on the rent of the new property

To answer the original question it really depends on the rental potential and the ability to meet the monthly mortgage repayments. And it also depends if the bank is happy with taking on the risk. It might be better to do a remortgage, I am assuming that the remortgage would be on their Principle residence. Buy to lets generally have a higher interest rate and so it would be best to remortgage at the lower rate. (I'm making the assumption that there is an existing mortgage on the Principle residence, it is variable and there is enough equity to release from the property).

TBH your friend is best talk to a Mortgage advisor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

Thanks lads, i will advise him that.

regards

kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

stepbar wrote:
    It might be better to do a remortgage, I am assuming that the remortgage would be on their Principle residence.
    Stand alone mortgages are available for BTL's but at a lower Loan to Value in most cases.
    stepbar wrote:
    Buy to lets generally have a higher interest rate and so it would be best to remortgage at the lower rate.
    Generally yes but not always. It depends on a number of factors.
    stepbar wrote:
    TBH your friend is best talk to a Mortgage advisor
    @kmb - PM me if you want more info

• Advertisement
Advertisement