Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M.r.i.

Options
  • 16-11-2006 6:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Went in for a bloody MRI test yesterday, guess what, I'm now 16.5st and wouldnt fit in the damn MRI tube!! (I used to weightlift so Im broad-shouldered, but by no means a hulk!),... Anyone have this experience before or know if they are all standard size-wise? (seems insane to me). Technician says she sending me to (and I quote) "The Bon" in Glasnevin.... anyone know what she might have meant? I was too stunned from getting jammed in the tube to enquire much? LOL ;) B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

I'd say she meant the Bon Secours hospital in Glasnevin. Near the Met office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

6ix wrote:
    I'd say she meant the Bon Secours hospital in Glasnevin. Near the Met office.
    Aah, makes sense lol. Ever been there, know what its like? B

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Nope, thankfully haven't had to go there, but I think it's private and I do know it's where Charlie Haughey went during his illnesses.

http://www.bonsecoursireland.org/hospitals/dublin/default.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

You can get open MRI's where there is space for the larger gentleman!

They have one as well at the beacon clinic too.

The problem with the open MRI's are the quality of the image is much poorer in contrast to a top of the line closed MRI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Aah, makes sense lol. Ever been there, know what its like? B

I've been recently - it's grand. Staff are lovely, foods not great, but what can ya do :) don't worry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boggles.

As MRI scanners cost a packet, you'd think they'd make 'em all so they could fit say, a happy Bravarian inside them!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

its the new halth fad, every is supposed to be slim etc,

lol, thanks :)
    It did make me giggle in the end I must admit, it was like a scene from one foot in the grave.

Im half in half out of this tube, wedged in like a cat in a drainpipe, as this nurse who is sounding more and more panicked by the minute is saying "I dont think we should try another inch, do you?" while moving the tray im lying on in and out underneath me.

I was wedged, but the tray yer laying on moves by her pressing the button, i swear at one point I seriously thought "Oh thats great, if she presses that button once more Im gonna end up still wedged in here unable to move anything but my mouth, and with my trousers round my ankles!" lol (they had caught on the tray I think).

;)

B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Not an uncommon problem from what I've heard. GF works with similar machines in hospital and she encounters it quite a bit.

Methinks we need a supersize MRI option for *ahem* the larger gentleman like FranknFurter ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ucd_guy

I work in an X-ray dept, FrankFurter, don't be embarrassed - happens a lot! At least we're not gone as bad as the Fat Yanks, who send their super-obese patients to the local veterinary hospitals where they have massive CT/MRI scanners! :D Let us know how you get on with the new scan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the one at the mater private stuck solid with me inside it 1 time, shivvered a lot until i was freed, freezing i was in me paper uniform

Well, a little update / info for anyone who may be in same position.
    The one in Bon Secours turned out to be the same size. Same situation.
    IF in beumount they had taken the 10 seconds it would have taken to measure my shoulders I wouldnt have had to taxi half ways across the city and go through it all again. Argh!

B

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I found the one in St Vincents Private small and I am a size 8 (tiny)...I hope that you managed to find some MRI machine that was able to give you the tests that you needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

There are open MRI's. There is a solution!

they have two magnets aligned parallel to each other rather than a superconductor helix.

Imaging is poorer, but people fit into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

MRIs are trippy.

Make sure to smile throughout, so you can show all your mates what you would look like as a smiling skeleton on a pirate ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

From my trips to the MRI machine the one in beaumont has to be the most impressive, you nearly expect a wormhole to open up (stargate) but anyway I have some photos of
    Strange things in my head that I saw during my MRI, the eyes seem to frea people out the most.

Have made an appt to go use one in the Beacon clinic.
    Should be interesting......

B

Went to the clinic and had the open MRI
    (THANK GAWDS for the medical card!! apparently its some agreement the private clinics have with the public hospitals to take a certain % of patients per year, good to know),...

Managed to get into machine ok, but god that whole experience is a nightmare.
    It took 45 mins and was all loud noises and banging.
    I seriously thought I was going to have one of my seizures while in the thing, NOT somthing you want done if you are at all claustrophic I can tellya that!
    Im not usually, but in there I almost passed out several times. Very scary scan.

They should do a show / contest, "Celebrity M.R.I." whoever lasts the longest wins! ;)

Anyway, appointment to see neuro surgeon is 13 feb, then *hopefully* ill be put on meds that actually *work* and have no seizures for more than a whole month! WooT!! ;)

Is VERY weird, the gave me copies of the scan (had to ask), and it is SO UNBELIEVABLY weird being able to look at the thing that is doing you damage.
    And yes, eyes look very very disturbing on an MRI scan!! LOL :)

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

//Geordie accent

Day 45 in the MRI machine. Franknfurter is going slowly insane

:)

Good to hear you are one step closer to getting what you need - just a shame it took so long

Oh FnF's been insane a long long time lol ;0)
    I invented "insane"!

B :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've also been in the one in Beaumont... It is amazingly claustrophobic isn't it?

We should have a post up pics of your MRI scan thread.... I'm sure I have a copy of mine around somewhere.

Advertisement