Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organising a dig

Options
  • 15-11-2006 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any way for an ordinary lay person as it were to have an archeological dig organized? If the area is on another person's land what are the legal precautions/steps to be taken?
    There's a site in the field next to my father's which I've often thought I'd like to dig/see dug but obviously I don't want to piss anyone off or do anything illegal...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Totally impossible without an excavation licence. You have to appear before a panel for an interview to get one of them...

What you can do though is (with the permission of the landowner) do a surface survey of any features in the field. I'd help you and I'm sure I could get a few more bodies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

boneless wrote:
    I'd help you and I'm sure I could get a few more bodies too.

I'm sure, you can get loads of 'bodies', but will they be any help or are they just too lifeless? :D

mdebets wrote:
    I'm sure, you can get loads of 'bodies', but will they be any help or are they just too lifeless? :D

Well, you'd help Mick!!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lolz at the bodies...anyways thanks for the info I guess not very much will be happening at the moment at least. I will try to have a proper look at the site at xmas when I'm off from college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

boneless wrote:
    Totally impossible without an excavation licence. You have to appear before a panel for an interview to get one of them...

Just to clarify this, the interview is to get a directors licence. Once you have that, then you can apply for a licence to excavate an individual site, but you won't get permission unless you have a good reason to be digging the site up.

• Advertisement

abccormac wrote:
    Just to clarify this, the interview is to get a directors licence. Once you have that, then you can apply for a licence to excavate an individual site, but you won't get permission unless you have a good reason to be digging the site up.

Thank you... you put it better than I did.

OP... where is the field? PM me if you want to... Any obvious features on the surface?

Its just a ring fort at the top of the hill behind our house. I haven't been in it in years (cause its someone elses land and I wouldn't like to trespass) all I know is there is a fairly obvious raised ring. The area is called rathmore so I guess I presumed it may have been important at one stage. This type of thing is fairly common in this country though so there are plenty of other sites which could be or already have been excavated I'm sure.

I think there were 40,000 ringforts at the last count... but hey! It might be good to survey it for a good day out!!

Is it marked on the SMR? Or the OS map?

em, no I can't find it on megolithomania.com (is this site good?) But I did find this;
    http://www.megalithomania.com/show/site/1369

Some of my family are buried there, I'll be up there at xmas and this is very very exciting for me, I can't wait to see it! I didn't realise there so many sites in Sligo worth seeing!

Not a great web site but there can be some interesting pics on it.

Is the ringfort in Sligo too?

• Advertisement

Yeah it is. Couldn't find it on that website, google didn't provide any answers either. Don't suppose you could link me to the OS map?

PM me the townland it is in and I will have a look at the SMR in UCD. I don't have the link to the OS here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭patnor1011

anyone knows something about bog close to birdhill in tipperary? One local told me that people there used to burry loadz of thing into...

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

patnor1011 wrote: »
    anyone knows something about bog close to birdhill in tipperary? One local told me that people there used to burry loadz of thing into...

There are plenty of bogs near Birdhill but Id say the one would be close to Castleconnell which is just inside Limerick.

So what kind stuff were they burying? Rubbish and such!
    Kidding I know the Bog of Cullen in South Tipp seemed to be an area of votic offerings. Perhaps this is the kind of stuff you are suggesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Its just a ring fort at the top of the hill behind our house. I haven't been in it in years (cause its someone elses land and I wouldn't like to trespass) all I know is there is a fairly obvious raised ring. The area is called rathmore so I guess I presumed it may have been important at one stage. This type of thing is fairly common in this country though so there are plenty of other sites which could be or already have been excavated I'm sure.

Just finished digging a ringfort (amongst other stuff) in Kilkenny; the 2nd most boring site type in the world, running fulachts a close 2nd. I have a link to the smr database for you www.archaeology.ie/smrmapviewer/mapviewer.aspx I've been digging for years but only discovered this site recently. It's a database of all smr sites in the country. You can search by county and then townland and it will show you all sites within that query along with the 1820 ish map (can never remember the correct date) You've haven't a hope in getting the site excavated I'm afraid but with the landowners permission you could certainly do a surface survey.

Good link!! ^^ Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

boneless wrote: »
    Good link!! ^^ Thanks!

Your're welcome. I've been playing with it all day; anything to avoid editing the context register :eek:

Meathlass wrote: »
    Your're welcome. I've been playing with it all day; anything to avoid editing the context register :eek:

Post ex sucks!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭smirkingmaurice

Myself and a neighbour of mine had a dispute a few years back over part of a fort he managed to build a shed on. I applied for one of those permits and was refused. Well one night i got the shovel out anyway and dug for 5 hours solid leaving a good sized trench beside his shed, I came across nothing, it was more out of spite than anything else, he shouldn't have been left build his shed on the fort!!!!

Advertisement