Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best new bands in 2007

Options
  • 15-11-2006 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

who will be the best new indie bands next year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

How do I know? I can't see into the future. Sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Let me guess, whoever has the most catchy song and least talent out of the lot. I just dont know their name yet.

Lety me say now that I hate Indie but dont mind alternative, so thats why im in this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

My money is on Air Traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Mushy wrote:
    I hate Indie but dont mind alternative
    That has to be the stupidest statement I've ever read on this forum....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just write to NME they'll tell you the next hippest thing tbh :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ooh actually if the world has any sense pop noir experts Luxembourg will be plucked from obscurity.

They released their debut album last month, and its fantastic
    me wrote:
    ‘Front’ is the debut album from Luxembourg, a five piece currently based in London. For the past 5 years they have been tirelessly devoted to writing beautiful and thoughtful guitar-driven pop songs. Despite their efforts they remain unsigned to the bewilderment of their ever-growing fan base. This album has been made available of Dogbox Records, a record label run by two Luxembourg fans.

Luxembourg describe themselves as ‘pop noir’ – a kind of pop music with a dark undercurrent. Punching guitars, raunchy riffs and bouncing keyboard melodies are the order for the day on this record, with singles “What The Housewives Don’t Tell You” and “Sick Of DIY” being perfect examples of this sound.

These tracks are punctuated by beautifully elegant songs such as “Mishandled” and “Down On A Sunny Street”, proving that Luxembourg have a lot more to offer and are definitely not one trick ponies. It’s on these more delicate moments that David Shah’s choirboy falsetto becomes most effective and moving.

Like Cocker and Morrissey before him, Shah’s storytelling lyrics analyse his life and his relationships in an engaging and witty way. ‘Single’ is a heartbreakingly brutal assessment of David Shah’s situation – ‘I can’t spend another summer burning copies of my debut single in my bedroom…I wouldn’t wish my life upon anyone/So let's abstain’. This is one of those albums whose sleeve notes are rarely to be found neatly slotted inside the case. Instead it lies at my bedside, constantly referenced whilst I listen to the album.

I find it incomprehensible that this band are not dominating the airwaves, playing on Jools Holland, on Parkinson, leaking from the earphones of every shy teenager locked away in his room or playing in a businesswoman’s car as she navigates through peak-time traffic. Unlike every other “obscure” band I bore my friends with, there is no real reason that this band is not massively popular. Yet still the industry stands aside when they should be clamouring for Luxembourg’s signature on a contract. Someday they will regret their foolishness. An album this good cannot remain unnoticed for much longer.

JC2K3 wrote:
    That has to be the stupidest statement I've ever read on this forum....

Yeah, it can be very easy classed as that way. But I find Indie and Alternative two different things. Id call Franz Ferdinand and the Killers, Indie, but would never consider them alternative. IUd even consider Smashing Pumpkins alternative, and Muse aswell, but definately not indie.

Any prizes for stupidest statement on the website...no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Mushy wrote:
    Yeah, it can be very easy classed as that way. But I find Indie and Alternative two different things. Id call Franz Ferdinand and the Killers, Indie, but would never consider them alternative. IUd even consider Smashing Pumpkins alternative, and Muse aswell, but definately not indie.
    I'd agree with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

muse would be indie tbh? anyway fields seem quite good but they are hardly 'new' i guess...

Mushy wrote:

Any prizes for stupidest statement on the website...no?
    So essentially you call "alternative" any modern guitar music that's not clearly rock/metal that you like and "indie" anything you don't like?

tbh, "Indie/Alternative" has become a category to lump modern, manufactured pop bands with guitars(Franz, Killers, all that crap) in with any band from the last 20 years or so that wasn't typically rock/metal/punk and generally on a major label.

The term "Indie" really means bands on an independant record label, and "Alternative" has its origins as a word to describe bands differing from any usual rock formula in the 80s/90s. Both terms essentially have lost all meaning and it makes no sense to say you like "Alternative" but not "Indie" consdering the ambivilance associated with both words.

Essentially this board should be split into "Alternative Pop" and "Alternative" or something, but it's not gonna happen. At least the Experimental forum gets some out of place posts out of this forum.
    </rant>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

Los Campesinos

Catchy band that wear their influences on their indie sleeves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Klaxons

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

My picks for 2007 are:

The Pink Pandas
    Walking Under Moonlight
    Salty Tango
    Les Diaboliques
    Grimace Girlz feat. Fr. Pete O' File

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Klaxons

what he said^

So essentially you call "alternative" any modern guitar music that's not clearly rock/metal that you like and "indie" anything you don't like?

Alternative means different, so anything that sounds different, I'll call alternative. Some of the modern guitar music( as you said "Franz, Killers, all that crap") I'll call Indie. All those bands, probably even including Arctic Monkeys, I'd class as Indie, thats just me though. I didnt necessarily say I like all types of Alternative, just bands Id consider different that I do like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Klaxons
    Yup.
    and maybe The View.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

doesn't Indie mean on an independant label, I'd hardly call Arctic Monkeys indie anyway, if anything they're pop-rock

tywy, thats what its supposed to mean. But genres are thrown around a lot too much nowadays. Take the MTV EMA's the other week, the Killers won Best Rock...Im sure nobody else calls them rock. Maybe pop-rock is a better word for what I was calling Indie earlier though.

Mushy wrote:
    Alternative means different, so anything that sounds different, I'll call alternative. Some of the modern guitar music( as you said "Franz, Killers, all that crap") I'll call Indie. All those bands, probably even including Arctic Monkeys, I'd class as Indie, thats just me though. I didnt necessarily say I like all types of Alternative, just bands Id consider different that I do like
    'Different'? Different from what? Different from Mozart? This doesn't make any sense. Everything's 'different' when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

DadaKopf wrote:
    Everything's 'different' when you think about it.
    Yea, best you don't think about that too much, Dada.

Different from the mainstream radio-friendly sounding stuff I think is what's meant. Indie = independent label, but not all indie is alternative by any means.

Bands like Frans Ferdinand, Killers, etc. are a dime a dozen these days, therefor not alternative.

• Advertisement

tywy wrote:
    doesn't Indie mean on an independant label, I'd hardly call Arctic Monkeys indie anyway, if anything they're pop-rock

yes it does

hence the Arctics, signed to Domino an indie label are an indie band

but yes they play pop-rock

Goodshape wrote:
    Yea, best you don't think about that too much, Dada.

Different from the mainstream radio-friendly sounding stuff I think is what's meant. Indie = independent label, but not all indie is alternative by any means.

Bands like Frans Ferdinand, Killers, etc. are a dime a dozen these days, therefor not alternative.
    "Alternative" isn't a genre though, it's subjective buzzword in relation to music these days.

For example, Mushy said he considered Smashing Pumpkins and Muse to be "Alternative". A lot of Smashing Pumpkins is very radio friendly and wasn't hugely "alternative" compared to other bands of their time. A lot of Muse's (mainly new) stuff I've heard is very radio friendly also, and not very "alternative" IMO.

JC2K3, you said it best there. "IMO". Like, I wouldnt consider Smashing Pumpkins to be radio-friendly from a lyrical aspect, maybe apart from Today. Other songs easily for musical standard, but the lyrics would prevent them from making it. I find them that bit different from other stuff evem of their time, hence the "Alternative" tag from me. Kinda understandable on the new Muse stuff though, songs like Showbiz would be more mainstream sounding stuff...but theres still something about them thats different, the prog-rock influences possibly that give them that edge from other stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

There is way too much debate on this forum over what's "alternative" and "indie". And there are too many people not willing to give some music a chance because it's not "alternative" enough.

tywy wrote:

Well, they're on an independent label.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Please stop the genre talk, it's pushing me over the edge! Back on topic please (which is clairvoyancy from what I can tell).

there are too many people not willing to give some music a chance because it's not "alternative" enough.
    Meh works both ways, there's much more people not willing to try out music because it's too alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

I reckon the Arcade fire will be the best new Indie band ..... mark my words, you heard it here first :D

There is way too much debate on this forum over what's "alternative" and "indie". And there are too many people not willing to give some music a chance because it's not "alternative" enough.
    Yeah, like who cares?

Depends if the music is any good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

As long as music is written for its own sake, and not to satisfy a perceived commercial demand, it's worth checking out. It won't always be good, it won't always satisfy your own subjective tastes, but it at least qualifies as genuine.

But yeah, new bands...

Advertisement