Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 25 Biggest Movie Scares

Options
  • 15-11-2006 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

I saw this on Empire's website a few weeks ago and I was wondering what movie scenes scared people the most and what are the scary scenes that Empire didn't include (there are way better ones I know).

I will list the 25 movie scenes that Empire compiled and also add the link so you can read more information on the scenes that they picked.
    Empire's 25 Biggest Movie Scares:

25. Day Of The Dead (1985)
    'The Wall Of Zombie Hands'

24. Mulholland Drive (2001)
    'Burnt Toast Man'

23. The Fly (1986)
    'Baboon Splat'

22. Jurassic Park (1993)
    'Arnold (Samual L Jackson) Lends A Hand'

21. The Others (2001)
    The Door Slams!

20. Gremlins (1984)
    'The Monster In The Cupboard'

19. Alien (1979)
    'Air Duct Assault by the Alien'

18. The Exorcist (1973)
    'A Flash Of Pazuzu'

17. Seven (1995)
    'Sloth - Comes back to life'

16. Ghostbusters (1984)
    'The Armchair Fright'

15. Scream 2 (1987)
    'The Jamie Kennedy Death'

14. Final Destination (2000)
    'Bus Splat'

13. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
    'Baby's Red Eyes'

12. Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1981)
    'Face Melt when Ark is opened'

11. The Thing (1982)
    'Stomach turns into mouth'

10. Halloween (1978)
    'Michael Myers appearing at the door'

9. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
    'Donald Sutherland discovers that is the last human'

8. The Descent (2005)
    'The Crawlers Revealed'

7. The Shining (1980)
    'The Twins In The Hall'

6. The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)
    'Bilbo's evil face'

5. Carrie (1976)
    'Hand from the grave'

4. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
    'Leatherface's grand entrance'

3. Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)
    'Dan Aykroyd's demon surprise'

2. Jaws (1975)
    'Dead body in the ship wreck'

1. An American Werewolf In London (1981)
    'Nazi werewolf dream in a dream sequence'

My personal favorites that is not on the list are:

Salom's Lot: The scene when the bald vampire sneaks into the prison cell where there is somebody sleeping, the guy turns around and the vamp's head pop's up in full view of the camera. I think I was around 8 years old when I saw that.........I didn't sleep a wink for weeks after it!

Exorcist 3: Crap movie, but the scene when the night nurse gets attacked by a sheet covered freak with holding an amputation device scared the crap out of me. This scene is so slow and slow burning that when you think the nothing is going to happen then it does!

The Thing: It was mentioned in the Empire poll, but my favorite scene is when they do a blood test to determine who the creature has been cloned to look like. The tension in that scene is unbearable and when I saw it first I jumped when the creature was revealed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Surprised the end scene of Friday 13th is not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Out of that entire list I would personally think only 1 or 2 are worth of such a title. That list seems more orientated on "most recognised moments in horror" rather then the scariest ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Yeah I know that their list is no the best & that is why I wanted to hear what other people's favorite scary scenes where.

I would say the three on the Empire list that I agree with are the scenes in The Exorcist, The Shining & Alien.

What about you lot? What movie scenes scared you the most?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The crab walk in the Exorcist was freaky as hell, I don't know if that's what is referred to there, but if so, definately a good call. Other then that, I'm not sure really to be honest. I guess the part where the girl comes out of the TV in the ring was a good one was well, although only in the remake, the original one I did not find scary in the slightest.

The Thing as well, not so much any specific scene as the entire movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

The final few frames of Sleepaway Camp, The cenobite scenes in the original Hellraiser (especially the torture room) and Freddy dragging that girl all over the ceiling in the original Nightmare on Elm St.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I agree with the end scene in Friday 13 not being there, it scared the crap out of me.

Also Sakako coming out of the TV in Ring

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

HavoK wrote:
    The Thing as well, not so much any specific scene as the entire movie.
    One that stands out for me in The Thing is when they follow one of the infected guys out into the snow and the circle around him. As the camera pans around him he lifts up his hand and it's all distorted, and he lets out this growl that sent shivers down my spine when I saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre..... when that guy walks through that dorrway at the end of the corridor, a lump hammer crashes on his head, he crashes to the ground and leatherface appears and slams the metal door shut squealing like a pig..... I remember seeing it while it was still banned, must have been around 94 I think..... that sound and image has haunted me since............

Now that should be on the list..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

trendkill wrote:
    The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre..... when that guy walks through that dorrway at the end of the corridor, a lump hammer crashes on his head, he crashes to the ground and leatherface appears and slams the metal door shut squealing like a pig..... I remember seeing it while it was still banned, must have been around 94 I think..... that sound and image has haunted me since............

Now that should be on the list..
    it is there
    the list wrote:
    4. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
    'Leatherface's grand entrance'

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

sorry, i should have been clearer, i knew it was there but i should have rephrased what i was saying,----that deserves to be there, (now that should be there)
    sorry

• Advertisement
Advertisement