Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buddhism, theism and science

Options
  • 15-11-2006 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just pondering this from a thread I was reading in the Atheism forum.
    That is why I trust science, it at least tries to eliminate or reduce these potential mental lies. Religion and blind faith are the opposite in that they positively wallow in it.

It always struck me as interesting that Buddhism and Scientific Reasoning always seemed to parallel each other in many ways...

"Rely not on theory, but on experience.Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. Do not believe anything because it is spoken and rumored by many... But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." <- From a Buddhist sutra.

So to my mind, Atheism and Buddhism are not mutually exclusive since I don't see Buddhism as being a theistic set of teachings. The 'mental lies' brought up in the quote above reminds me of the Buddhist notion of seeing your true self.

Vastly oversimplified, but I can see the secular scientific standpoint and the Buddist standpoint to be similar sides of the same coin. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I am not up with my buddhist teachings too much, but I think Buddhists can be atheists, according to them?
    Asiaprod says he is an Atheist and a Buddhist, I think.
    There is no god is buddhism and Buddha is not held as such, I would imagine. So there is no reason a Buddhist might not be an Atheist too, or a number of other things?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Buddhism is by default an atheistic/agnostic religion. Some add in gods to it, but tbh I don't know how that works.
    Yep, buddhism and science are definitely not mutually exclusive. Buddhism is a religion ( though some even dispute that title) that strongly encourages thinking for oneself. That's almost one of the fundamental points in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

bluewolf wrote:
    Buddhism is a religion ( though some even dispute that title) that strongly encourages thinking for oneself. That's almost one of the fundamental points in it.
    You rang!:D I am with you that it is *almost*:rolleyes: one of the fundamental points.

I am indeed, one of those disputers:p .
    The branch of Buddhism I have chosen is Atheistic, no Gods, Bodhisattvas a plenty. That is not to say that other branches do indeed appear to be religiously-oriented, and I have no issues with this branching or orienting of Buddhism since we are indeed strongly encouraged to think for ourselves. The core teachings of Buddhism, and the goals and aspirations of believers, would appear to remain constant, with slight deviations. This universal acceptance of "fellow Buddhists" by Buddhists in general is a contributing factor to my belief. I see Buddhism in the same light as others would view the process of evolution.
    IMHO, we enter through different doors, on the same journey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't think it is a religion but that seems an easy title to put on it when discussing it.

Edit: I also should refresh pages after leaving them open for half an hour..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Religion does seem an easy word to put on it
    especially if you throw in the rebirth aspect etc

proddy: I usually dislike making absolute statements, hence my "almost"
    It IS a very important of buddhism, no doubt about that though!

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote:
    Religion does seem an easy word to put on it
    especially if you throw in the rebirth aspect etc

proddy: I usually dislike making absolute statements, hence my "almost"
    It IS a very important of buddhism, no doubt about that though!
    Have no fear my Lady, I am in an impish mood, I had a brillo day.

Tar., really nice to see you here, and Congrads

Asiaprod wrote:
    Tar., really nice to see you here, and Congrads
    Thanks. :)

I have had only bone friend who was a buddhist so most of what I know are from what he said and read. He eventually gave it up after reading something and disagreeeing with it I believe.

I have always been interested in this side of things http://www.accesstoinsight.org/bfaq.html#veggie
    and the differences between various types of buddhists and why one would follow one over anotehr, their process of thinking etc.

Edit: I would consider myself to be a buddhist without actually being a buddhist, if you know what i mean. I woulodn't really follow reincarnation and some thoughts etc, but for teh most part, we seem to share the same goals.

I have had only bone friend who was a buddhist
    A what!!! ...and you the mod of Spell Czechs. Bad Tar, smack.
    He eventually gave it up after reading something and disagreeeing with it I believe.
    What a shame, it happens.
    I have always been interested in this side of things [meat vs Vegi]
    We debated that here (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055010532). It is a very interesting question.
    and the differences between various types of buddhists and why one would follow one over anotehr, their process of thinking etc.
    That is a real good question. I think for me it is an issue of what resonates with me and my life, and of course, what works for me. Since Buddhism encourages free thought, it would be very hard to try to work out all the differences between the schools. Rather, one has to look to the similarities and use that as the springboard for one's own growth.

Advertisement