Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking taxi driver

Options
  • 15-11-2006 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

I won't say where, but I was out and about this evening and noticed a taxi driver sitting in his cab puffing away while he was waiting for a fare in a taxi rank. His window was rolled up which would have made the car very smelly for his next customer.

Does anyone know if taxi drivers are allowed to do this while waiting for a fare? I thought the smoking ban extended to taxi drivers "on duty", but are they "on duty" if they are only waiting for a fare?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no they are not, we finally live in a fascist state.

I hope you knocked on his window and congratulated him on his unabashed heroism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Who cares? If you yourself find issue with a smelly taxi, report the driver. I fail to see what this thread will achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

there about 2 weeks ago i got a taxi... it was a booked one... he was smoking when i got in... asked where i was going.. asked if i minded him smoking.. i dident really care and said no smaoke away and then he offered me one... at the time i thought about reporting him but couldent really care now...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH with redirect. Feel free to bounce it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

anto-t wrote:
    asked if i minded him smoking.. i dident really care and said no smaoke away and then he offered me one... at the time i thought about reporting him
    It's a bit unfair to say that you didn't mind him smoking and then say that you thought about reporting him. You can't have it both ways!

A large number of the taxi drivers queuing in the holding area in Dublin Airport can be seen smoking in their vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I wouldn't report someone but I think I just wouldn't get in if he/she was smoking in the cab, why should I spend the day smelling like an ashtray, specially after paying the extortionate prices that we pay for taxis these days.. No thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ?banned?

Devon wrote:
    I won't say where, but I was out and about this evening and noticed a taxi driver sitting in his cab puffing away while he was waiting for a fare in a taxi rank. His window was rolled up which would have made the car very smelly for his next customer.

Does anyone know if taxi drivers are allowed to do this while waiting for a fare? I thought the smoking ban extended to taxi drivers "on duty", but are they "on duty" if they are only waiting for a fare?

Thanks.

Jesus, give it a rest.. who cares?
    Its hard enough to have a smoke in this country without people being petty about it. Its too bloody cold going outside this time of year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

?banned? wrote:
    Its hard enough to have a smoke in this country without people being petty about it. Its too bloody cold going outside this time of year anyway.

It is illegal to smoke in any commercial vehicle as they are enclosed working places be it a taxi, van, truck or whatever. It has been illegal to smoke in taxis for years now as a seperate by law.

If one was to report a taxi driver for smoking while serving a fare, you would take it up with the Taxi Regulator's Office initially. It would be an issue that they would have to take seriously as it is a health and safety issue as well as what you may consider unbecoming for a cab driver. But if it is an issue simply whereby the smoke bothers you, either ask the driver to put the smoke out or get another taxi, it would be a lot less hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

?banned? wrote:
    Many non-smokers who don't really want to come out of their taxi smelling like an ashtray care greatly. Report the guy to the Taxi Regulator and/or the OTC hotline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

?banned? wrote:

No I won't "give it a rest" - I care.

If it's illegal, he shouldn't be doing it AND making others pay for his addiction.

If you're willing to "give it a rest", what other laws are you happy to see broken while you're resting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Devon wrote:
    No I won't "give it a rest" - I care.

If it's illegal, he shouldn't be doing it AND making others pay for his addiction.

If you're willing to "give it a rest", what other laws are you happy to see broken while you're resting?

Well, if you do care, have you reported this to anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

I would be very annoyed if I got in a taxi and the driver started smoking...actually if he did it mid journey I would demand to be let out.

Hamndegger wrote:
    Well, if you do care, have you reported this to anybody?

The taxi regulator is sending me out a complaints form.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

There's a mentality in this country that if you can complain about something you should.

Give the man a break, all he was doing was having a cigerette in the comfort of his own car in between fares. There was nothing wrong with this 2 years ago. It just shows how petty some people have become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Tackle69 wrote:
    Give the man a break, all he was doing was having a cigerette in the comfort of his own car in between fares.
    Or to be clearer, all he was doing was having a cigerette in the comfort of his own car which he operates as a public service vehicle in a country where 75% approx of the population are non-smoking in between fares.

Yes I agree with RainyDay. It ceases to be exclusively his own car when he puts the sign on the roof. The paying public should not have to pay for his addiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭last_orders

id not take the whole matter too seriously, if ya see a taxi driver smoking just get another one, if the driver sparks up mid journey jus ask him to put it out, whats the worth in potentially risking a person's career jus because ya dont like the smell. its not like the driver was cackling at his hideous scheme to murder people with the dreded second hand smoke, he was just relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

whats the worth in potentially risking a person's career jus because ya dont like the smell.
    He (the driver) would be putting his career at risk (not the passenger who is entitled to report it).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You are not allowed to smoke in a passenger service vehicle. Taxi/hackney/limo/minibus whatever.....end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Correct and right.... no smokum in taxi... if the guy/gal lights up ...bang Flutt is on to the carriage office quicker than you can say "Jack Robinson"

its this ambiguity that has this country in the state its in...

The Aaaaah jaysus attitude...cmon.. shure wel'l have a sing song.....

There's rules ...keep 'em ...or burn

• Advertisement
Advertisement