Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meditation

Options
  • 14-11-2006 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I know this is probably not the right thread to put this post so I apologise and for any admins please feel free to move the thread and point me in the right direction.

I have posted here because my question is in relation to meditation and to the best of my knowledge it is practiced by Buddhists. My question is related to the practice of meditation. i have recently started to meditate or try to at least after reading some books and online resources on the subject. I have found that I seem to get stuck at a certain level where my body is relaxed, my breathing is deep but my mind seems to stay active and I cannot seem to settle it. I was wondering if this is something that all those who learn to meditate go through and it is something that is only mastered by repeated practice or perhaps someone can provide me with some pratical steps to perhaps over come this?

Regards,

PDD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

Well done for having actually sat down and started to practice.
    Depending on the tradition, the methods vary; I'll give a couple of quick points from one, as I understand it. Best thing though is to find a teacher and practice with others from time to time.
    The objective is not to try to make mind quiet and peaceful but to come in touch with a deeper experience of being. There is a continual process of letting go of being caught up, overly involved and lost in thoughts. The thoughts are not a problem in themselves but rather how we react to them with attachment and aversion. The practice of mindfulness in meditation gives an anchor to help us to continually bring ourselves back and be present, letting go again and again of being caught up in the thoughts. In this way we are able slowly to just simply be, in the present, aware and open. It is a slow continual process with ups and downs, doubts, anxieties and all other kinds of experiences.
    Trying to make the mind peaceful and trying to get rid of all thoughts are actually another way of taking us away from being in the present and just simply being.
    Two tendencies often arise which you should watch for and reduce: dullness and agitation. In agitation, we jump from this to that thought and never let go of them. In dullness, there is a lack of a bright and sharp clear awareness in which we drift along.

These are just a couple of things which come to mind. There is no substitute for instructions from a good teacher.
    Keep practising with patience, discipline, enthusiasm and humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Hi PPD, and welcome on board. Sorry for the delay in answering, very busy in work. The following link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054956942 will bring you to a great discussion we had on meditation. I will try to put up a sticky later on meditation as it seems to be a very popular subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

by PDD - but my mind seems to stay active and I cannot seem to settle it.

Hi PDD, welcome to meditation. Ask yourself "Who" is trying to settle it? Who is that exactly? Who is trying to settle who's mind? Two entities? One? This may sound silly, but really, try to get to the bottom of this.

Also, have compassion for your dear old brain. Parts of the brain go through a bit of an alarmed state when we suddenly start to meditate. Blood-flow gets redirected from the back to the front, but not without a fight. It is somewhat similar to what your legs may go through as you start sitting in one posture for a long time. It is not what legs are made for Your feet may fall asleep, they may hurt, you might be fidgety etc. Not much different for the brain.

Patience and practice will move you, slowly but surely, towards freedom.

Advertisement