Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Hosting Reseller

Options
  • 14-11-2006 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Doing a bit of web development in my spare time and looking for a recomendation for an Irish Web Hosting Reseller?

Basic Requirements include:
    Windows based server
    Support ASP.NET 2.0
    Support SQL Server

Or can anyone give me advice whether it is necessary to use a irish based reseller or would a international one be ok? The reason I am looking at a irish one is that I thought it may be safer to stick nearer to home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to webmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Amateur wrote:
    Or can anyone give me advice whether it is necessary to use a irish based reseller or would a international one be ok? The reason I am looking at a irish one is that I thought it may be safer to stick nearer to home.

Most of the bigger Irish hosting offer telephone and email support, which can make your life a lot easier.

Best thing to do is to contact a few of us and ask awkward questions :)

If you don't get a decent response move on .....

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

blacknight wrote:
    Most of the bigger Irish hosting offer telephone and email support, which can make your life a lot easier.

Best thing to do is to contact a few of us and ask awkward questions :)

If you don't get a decent response move on .....
    *wonders who of blacknight's competitors' phone support has gone down the tubes*

• Advertisement

CuLT wrote:
    *wonders who of blacknight's competitors' phone support has gone down the tubes*
    You always presume I'm stirring :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Have used many in the past.
    But preference would have to be with www.blacknight.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

Would definitely NOT use Webworld. Have had nothing but trouble with them. They never respond to emails and are impossible to contact. I have moved on to Hosting365 and find them top class and very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I'll second www.hosting365.ie from experience but I have heard good reports about www.blacknight.ie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Amateur

Thanks for everyones help.

I am finding it hard to find a company that supports SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, any ideas?

What would SQL Server 2005 Full Edition cost me?

Or i was thinking i might just set up shared hosting for my clients with the likes of hosting365 or someone or does that look very unprofessional?

I have explored the option of a dedicated server but a. dont think i need one and b. they cost way too much for me.

• Advertisement

If you want to do down the dedicated route you could use SQL Express to start with and upgrade later

In terms of reseller hosting most of us have plans that would meet your needs

You are unlikely to find anyone offering SQL Express in a shared environment as the memory limits are too low

Reselling shared hosting accounts is an incredibly bad idea. If you want to resell hosting either go dedicated or get a proper reseller account

Was never going to go with reselling shared hosting but just through it out as an option.

Blacknight, i could you put together a package for me, for both a reseller account and dedicated? I can send you my spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

yep...blacknight.ie all the way - excellent customer service :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

SQL Express on dedicated is free (and the underlying server can be had from as little as 80 euro or so per month (inlcuding Windows 2003))

Most hosts reseller plans also offer generous MS SQL allowances that you can bundle for your users.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

blacknight wrote:
    You always presume I'm stirring :(
    It pays to be cynical :)

On topic, I have a colo server with blacknight, two actually. No windows boxes though, I find it strange when people look specifically for windows hosting.

That said, I've never had to operate or maintain large data warehousing systems, user management, etc; I'm sure windows hosting is rather useful in an office environment.

I have been considering recently setting up a reseller account in the states, www.jodohost.com. They seem to be offering a good deal.

I was wondering peoples views on it, pros and cons and if it is advisable based on the fact I will web developing for companies in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

Amateur wrote:
    I have been considering recently setting up a reseller account in the states, www.jodohost.com. They seem to be offering a good deal.

I was wondering peoples views on it, pros and cons and if it is advisable based on the fact I will web developing for companies in Ireland.

If you are setting up a reseller account, you are going to have support issues. Reselling is a bit more tricky than straight hosting.

If you are reselling, you then have a responsibility to your clients to provide top class service. You need to be able to get a very prompt and efficient service from your hoster. You need to be able to phone and discuss any problems. Not easy [or cheap] if the company is in the States.

For my money - Blacknight.ie every time. Very prompt, courteous and efficient. And Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

i've had a reseller account with a us-based host (idologic.com) for about 2 years now, and they are excellent, i've never had any issues with responses to my emails, despite the time difference. i've never had to ring them, but even if i did, call costs are very cheap to usa these days so that isn't really a reason not to go with a usa host.

that said, i *am* going to move some of our customer sites to an irish-based host, mainly for the reason that some don't show up as irish under google.ie. i presume this is because they aren't .ie's and their IP shows them as being located in the usa.

looking at the 2 most mentioned hosts on boards, it appears that irish based hosting of comparable quality is more expensive (even ignoring VAT).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Please don't drag up old threads, and please read the stickies at the head of the forum regarding the changes in rules on hosting discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement