Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA reWiring Question

Options
  • 13-11-2006 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Quick question. Got a small light but its got a USA plug, is it possible to rewire to an Irish style plug without burning the gaff down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

bombidol wrote:
    Quick question. Got a small light but its got a USA plug, is it possible to rewire to an Irish style plug without burning the gaff down?
    You'll have to change the bulb too.
    As long as theres nothing else in there, (e.g. a transformer) it should be fine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yeah you can install a 3 pin plugtop on it, but and a big BUT, make sure that the fitting and/or the bulb is rated for 240 50hz use, because when you blug it in the bulb (if not transformed) is going to glow very bright for 1 second and blow, or if the unit has a transformer is either going to burnout, or blow the safety fuse inside it.

Come back with a bit more info and we can help you.

Really if its a case of the unit being just a bulb, all you have to do is replace the bulb with a 230v rated bulb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

its not a bog standard light

1009A.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Ah, thats probably not a standard light.
    Time to take it apart and see how it works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

plug it in for a laugh :D

(only kidding DONT!)

• Advertisement

bombidol, is there any labels on it anywhere.
    At a guess, I'd say there is a transformer in that, or if it's using an 8watt red flourscent tube, there is more than likely a ballast in there and probably not rated for 230v.

Nice light btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

Just saw one similar on e bay Item number: 230052791084 says its rated for either 110 or 220!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If it can only handle 110v, it'd probably be best to buy a voltage converter for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If it's really special to you it may be possible to just replace the ballast with one from a 230V emergency light fitting. I could probably get one for you if you want to take this route.

The choke/ballast may be frequency specific so might not last long at 50 Hz.

Let me know.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

very weird. I plugged it into my step down adapter and it worked, then i unplugged it and plugged it back in, now nothing! not a peep out of it. I have a feeling the bulb is knackered. going looking for another one this weekend

Any update on this bombidol?

Advertisement