Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DVD Player only working intermittantly???

• 13-11-2006 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi,

I have a new Dvd player, well not new as I have it about 18 months but it's never been used - so warranty has expired. Anyways, it seems (to me) like the laser maybe slightly out of alignment or something as sometimes it will begin to play a Dvd and sometimes it won't, it'll skip for a bit, jump around and other times it will play for a few minutes before "losing it's place".

Any suggestions on fixing it or somewhere I can bring it to to get it checked?

I know Dvd players are only cheap now anyway but it's a nice one and was a present so would like to have it working

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are you sure its not just a bad disc?

You could try a laser lens cleaner dvd. If the problem remains you could try contacting the manufacturer, even if its out of warranty they may do repairs. The cost to fix it would probably not be worth your while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 TheMasterG

Yep, have tried multiple disks that I know are good and same thing, intermittant play for a few minutes if it will even read the disk. It's a Hitachi Dvd player, wouldn't like to bin it and was a present a year and a half ago so don't know where it was bought :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,021 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Would try a cd/dvd cleaner first or plug it out, take the case off and brush any dust off the laser lens if your happy doing that.

unless it's a high end or expensive dvd player probably not worth going any further or getting it repaired. You could always turn it upside down or sideways, used to help with the old playstation ;)

Advertisement