Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Dec 2nd - Bangkok Impact @ Lunar Disko [Interview]

Options
  • 13-11-2006 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

sami2.jpg

Bangkok Impact is the work of one man, Sami Liuski, all the way from Finland, a country not usually reknowned for being a hotbed of disco talent. But Sami has been doing a fine job in dispelling those notions, both with his Bangkok Impact work, and also as Putsch 79 with Pauli Jylhänkangas, who have had some very succesful releases on Clone in the last few years, the latest being "Doin It". Not to forget the latest crop of Bangkok Impact releases on Creme Recordings, "Taboo" and the awesome Strictly Rhythm update that is "Do It", forthcoming is a new Bangkok Impact release taken from the ' Tribute to Robert Moog' compilation on Creme Organization....

How did you get into music? What were your biggest influences when you were a child or a teenager? Any "I've seen the light!" moments?

I guess I was always interested in music. As soon as I got my first computer I was always listening to the sounds that the games had. Those electronic bleeps and blops interested me more than so called 'normal' music. When I got an Amiga 500 computer I started experimenting with tracker programs. You could do pretty advanced stuff with those programs that were basically just samplers with step sequencers. That's how I learnt a bit about making beats and doing melodies. I was also playing guitar in various band when I was in my teens. I still do play occasionally guitar but I'm more into keyboards now.
    I got into electronic music when I was in high school. I was living in a very small village and no one really listened to electronic music but there was a very good radio program in national radio and local library had lots of classic electronic music like Kraftwerk.
    I remember one moment in my childhood when my friend played me those horrible Techno&Dance compilations. I guess it was the first touch to electronic dance music for me (we were still in primary school) and I remember I was really struck by these interesting beats and sounds.

What about modern techno/disco producers, who do you rate?

I respect Lindstrom, Chicken Lips, Emperor Machine, Daniel Wang, Metro Area, Legowelt, Dexter ... There's a lot really. I think there's lots of good music and good producers out there right now.

How did you get involved with both Crème Organisation and Viewlexx?

Basically it was just by sending demos to both labels. I had released two 8bit rockers EPs on Bunker Records and I sent a demo to DJ TLR that maintained the Bunker Records and Global Darkness websites. It happened that he was just starting out a new label and he liked my stuff so the second release on Crème was the first Bangkok Impact EP.
    Later on I also sent a demo to I-F from Viewlexx and he wanted to release some of my tracks. He's a nice fellow, he even made me a cup of coffee when I was visiting him!

What kit do you use? What is your favourite piece of kit? What do you use for the B.I. live shows?

In my studio I have various analogue gear (not that much but enough to keep me satisfied for now). I use some vst instruments too but I find the sounds from analogue synthesizers more full. I love analogue effects too but most of the processing of the sounds take place in the computer with plug-ins. But you can't really beat a nice analogue eq or a real spring reverb. My favourite piece of kit must be my Roland Sh-09. It's getting a bit temperamental now (getting old) but I really love it's fat sound and it's really fun to play with your hands.
    My Bangkok Impact live setup is pretty simple right now. I don't like to bring lots of stuff with me and when travelling it's very convenient to have just a laptop, midi controller, microphone and effects box.
    Putsch '79 live setup is a bit more complex with more effect boxes, two keyboards, bongos and a laptop. Pauli plays the keys and sings vocoder and I control the laptop and the effects.

How have your live shows been going? Been touring much? And where is your favourite place to play?

It has been great! I think I've achieved a point where I'm pretty satisfied with my live shows and how most of the people react to it.
    This year has been quite busy. I just recently came back from a Japan/Australia tour but usually the gigs are just on the weekends; you go somewhere to play and you come back to home the next day.
    My favourite place to play changes but right now it must be Dublin! I really had a blast there. People were really freaking out to my sounds.

How is the dance scene in Finland?

I think it's getting a bit better and more and more interesting people get booked to play here, but for example I've never played Bangkok Impact gig in Finland. Now the people are slowly starting to show some interest.

There are some quite good clubs here in Helsinki that occasionally have some very nice music. A while ago it was all just about harder techno, trance and drum'n'bass.

Who exactly is Putsch 79? How did it come about?

It's me and my long time friend Pauli Jylhänkangas. We have known each other since high school. Pauli was doing some Metro Area/Daniel Wang type stuff and he sent me some tracks. I really saw potential in his tracks and we started working on them together. That's basically how it went and before we knew we had the first Putsch EP out on Clone Records.

How did the albums go down with the public? (Both B.I. and P79?)

I think both were received quite well. Bangkok Impact album had some nice reviews and chart placings as well as the P79 one. The cd version of Putsch '79 could have sold more but all in all it was pretty good I think.

What are you currently working on? When can we expect another album?

I'm trying to work on new Bangkok Impact album. It's pretty hard since I'm travelling a lot and I don't have enough time to really sit in my studio and do music.

What is your all-time top 5 records? Dance AND non-dance?

It's quite hard since it's changing all the time but I'll try :)

Dance:

1. Black Devil - Disco Club
    2. Raiders of the Lost Arp LP
    3. Dexter - Raw
    4. Dance Reaction – Disco Train
    5. Unit 4 – Body Dub

Non-dance:

1. Boards of Canada – Music has the right to children
    2. Air – Talkie Walkie
    3. Nouvelle Vague - Nouvelle Vague
    4. Plone – For Beginner Piano
    5. Jollymusic - Jollybar

Interview : www.Discopia.com

==============================================
    ==============================================

Saturday December 2nd @ The Underground, Kennedys, Westland Row.D2

Bangkok Impact [Live] (Creme Organization - Helsinki)
    Alan Carbery (Electric City)
    Andy Doyle (Lunar Disko)

Adm: e10 // Doors:11pm //
    --

===============================================
    ===============================================

http://www.myspace.com/lunardisko

Advertisement