Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you hand up each week/month

Options
  • 12-11-2006 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

How much do hand up a week/month to your parents for keep? just intrested to see how my situation is

I hand up 300 euro a month which is about 15% of my monthly wages, what about yourself?

Comments

Currently living with my parents for my final year of college and since I'm not earning... 0.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I moved out the minute I started college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

When i lived with my mother it was 400 a month for myself and my son. I felt at the time it was a lot although i didnt have to buy food (just nappies) or pay any bills.

But then i moved out on my own with my son and realised how much it costs to keep a house with food rent and bills. I'd gladly pay 400 a month now as at the moment between rent food and bills its more than 400 a week :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

400 - 450 a month.
    only 300 aint a bad deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

E50 a week, 20% of my current wages.

When I go back to college next year I won't be paying rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

How much do hand up a week/month to your parents for keep? just intrested to see how my situation is

I hand up 300 euro a month which is about 15% of my monthly wages, what about yourself?

i don't live at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Not a red cent. When I go back to working though, I'll be paying €100 which is actually just going to be kept secure 'til I move out and promptly given back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

When i lived at home about 6/7 years ago i handed up 50 old quid. I got my washing done, all the food i wanted, free use of the telephone, electricity, gas, i didn't have to worry about repairs to the house. At the time i thought it was loads but its only when you get your own place you realise just how good you had it.

300 per month isn't bad, thats abot 75per week. And you still have 85% of your wages to yourself. I'd take that now anyday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I own a house now, just recently anyway and have not lived at home in over a year as I was in an apartment saving up. Anyway I used to give my folks around 400 euro a month no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

350 a month, but I pay my own tv, internet, phone, mobile, car tax and insurance bill myself!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Over 550 a month. I don't mind at all because it's just me and my mother in the house and she couldn't pay the rent without me. She still pays most of the bills minus the broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

My parents currently GIVE me 330 a month as I'm in college and they don't want me to work during term time! I do pay for the calls I make on the house phone though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I moved out to go to college, I don't give or get anything, but I'm guessing i'll have to during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I don't pay anything...and I don't think I will be when I'm in College either..they say they want to have me around during college, so I get my bedroom meals and internets, and they get my lovely company- everyone's a winn0r!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

When times were good (i.e me working like a madman 6 days a week), I'd hand over 20% without a problem, giving a maximum of €100 a week because I'd get greedy when holiday pay was paid out or overtime came into effect. Now that I'm studying for the Leaving, I've cut down to one night a week and tend to keep it all for day-to-day expenditure.

I'll be heading to Cork for college though, so shouldn't have to pay a thing - surely my sporadic weekend appearances will be enough!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Those of you giving money to your parents every month might be happy to hear that you can claim tax relief against it and not many people know that. If you ring the tax office with your PPS they can process it over the phone. They can also back date it a few years (sorry cant remember how many)

my mate recently got a chq for €2k (including backdated allowance)

You dont have to prove payments or anything.

Ring the tax office if you dont believe me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ye ive been hearing about this, how does it actually work. I worked part time while in college and handed up just a few quid every week, can i claim that back? Now that im working full time im handin up the 300 a month, so i should be able to claim some of this?

I just mentioned it to my dad and he said if i get that he will have to pay the tax on it or something?? More Info please :D ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

faceman wrote:
    Those of you giving money to your parents every month might be happy to hear that you can claim tax relief against it and not many people know that. If you ring the tax office with your PPS they can process it over the phone. They can also back date it a few years (sorry cant remember how many)

How though?

You're the one payin them.
    anyways

In college, Live with me da, dont pay anythin, he even gives me 20 euro pocketmoney and im workin n all

good aul pops

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

about 2 grand including petrol, fags,mortgage esb ect.life's a bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moved out about three months into college. Going from Blessington (parents moved there during my leaving) to Dublin every day is painful. How people do that on a bus I'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ring the tax office if you dont believe me.
    Hmm, Make sure ye check up on this as I have a feeling if ye claim for it yer parents will get taxed on it as earnings and may also get fined for not declaring it as income. It sounds a way too easy to just to say(without proof) that you've been paying your parents rent for years.
    Your "Mate" may not have given you the full story.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

At present, I am in college but I am earning about 1000 a month from part-time work. Out of this, 300 goes to my parents

I think it is right to hand up money to parents. After all, life doesn't come for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I hand up €400 a month, reckon Im gonna increase that in the new year, what with the rise in heating prices this winter and all. The extra money has to come from somewhere.
    Ruu wrote:
    I own a house now, just recently anyway and have not lived at home in over a year as I was in an apartment saving up. Anyway I used to give my folks around 400 euro a month no problems.

How dya find it Ruu? Id imagine the first year into owning your first place is about the hardest time financially.
    faceman wrote:

Hehe, and then your folks get a nice letter from the taxman asking for twice what they've paid you and probably asking why they arent registered as a landlord too, yeah thats a good plan alright. Theres no such thing as a free lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

my mortgage is 460 per month heh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pigheads confused with all this "giving money to parents" lark. Whats the point in your parents giving you pocket money if you're just gonna give some back to them. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

faceman wrote:

How did he get 2k euro in rent relief? The relief is 300 euro for 2006 which is given as tax credits, and only 2005, 2004, 2003 and 2002 may be claimed as back payment, all of which were below 300 euro relief. The max he would have got is 1200 euro approx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tml

just in relation to the tax relief, I recently claimed this for living at home, got back € 1300, you can claim it back to 2002. Your parents will not have to pay tax on this income as they can rent out rooms in their home tax free under the rent a room scheme up to a maximum annual threshold of around
    €7k, just ring the revenue to ask them, I found them very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/buying_a_house_or_flat/rent_a_room_scheme.html
    Read the full text.
    The income has to be declared by your parents, and while they do not have to pay tax on it up to a certain amount, the income can go against them if on social welfare.
    Make sure you fully know what you are doing before dropping your parents in the stew and make sure they know their obligations.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Nothing at the moment, living in Dublin for college. If I move home, I'll try to give them something - can't guarantee it'll be taken though, they'd prefer I saved for "the future". I buy my own food et al when I am at home (have done for years, just habit, they'd add what I want to the list if I asked for something) and pay for my share of the phone and net bills - dial-up sucks ass, by the way. Because I'm never there, it doesn't amount to much at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

swingking wrote:
    At present, I am in college but I am earning about 1000 a month from part-time work. Out of this, 300 goes to my parents

What kind of part time work are you doing?! I've a full time job and I only get about 1300 a month!

Advertisement