Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFA sideline projects

Options
  • 12-11-2006 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Greetings childern,
    I was half listening to some radio show last week and whoever the DJ was he was talking about the sideline projects that the Super Furry Animals are involved in. He mentioned that about 4 albums are coming out in the next 12months that feature members from the band collaborating with other bands and stuff like that....

Can anyone here shed some light on this please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Gruff has his 2nd solo album coming out in January
    samples here - http://www.myspace.com/candylionmusic

new SFA album also out next year
    dunno about other solo projects and given the quality of the non-gruff-sung tracks on "Lovekraft" I'm not that interested either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Gruff has been supporting The Flaming Lips in the UK ..

Anyone know if he is playing this weekend in Vicar Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 VCK

So are the Furries on hiatus? Anyone know when they might be working on their next album?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

VCK wrote:
    So are the Furries on hiatus? Anyone know when they might be working on their next album?

look up ^ 2 posts - "new SFA album also out next year"

there was a story on NME.com about Gruffs new album which also mentioned the new SFA album.

you can watch his new video here - http://www.nme.com/artists/gruff-rhys
    though the news story seems to have been taken down.

btw, if you're an SFA fan and haven't heard Gruff's first solo album, I highly recommend it. personally I think its better than the last couple of furries albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Ernesto

drummer (& others)'s group:

http://www.myspace.com/thepeth

sounds good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

nice one guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

Cian is in another band, a techno outfit called Acid Casuals - maybe they've got a new record coming out? I know they released an album about a year or so ago, never managed to get my hands on it unfortunately. Has anyone heard it? Any good?
    Speaking of Cian (he's the keyboardist btw, the band's resident techno-head) i think his role in the band is very underrated as I believe his influence is crucial to SFA's extremely unique sound (now i don't like trying to verbalise a band's musical sound, one of the reasons i hate rock journalism, but I'll make an exception with the Furries cos i love them) I mean that electronic 'warmth' or aura that surrounds their songs, that in every other respect are indie guitar songs, albeit exceptionally brilliant indie guitar songs, lest you think i was classing them in the same catagory as no-talent, NME-hyped posers like the Strokes or the Libertines.
    Needless to say Cian is brains behind the numerous times the band have gone headlong into the dance genre - including their lost classic 'Best Mindf*ck Yet' , only performed live on the Rings Around The World tour, never recorded. He was also the main driving force behind SFA's remixing of Beatle tracks on the Liverpool Sound Collage, being the one who approached McCartney in the first place (in the toilets at the NME Awards as a matter of fact)
    Now don't me wrong, I think Gruff is a genius and deservres all the credit he get, but the brilliance of SFA is definitely a team effort and I just think that Cian's contribution tends to get overlooked sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Ernesto

mwnger wrote:
    Cian is in another band, a techno outfit called Acid Casuals - maybe they've got a new record coming out? I know they released an album about a year or so ago, never managed to get my hands on it unfortunately. Has anyone heard it? Any good?
    Speaking of Cian (he's the keyboardist btw, the band's resident techno-head) i think his role in the band is very underrated as I believe his influence is crucial to SFA's extremely unique sound (now i don't like trying to verbalise a band's musical sound, one of the reasons i hate rock journalism, but I'll make an exception with the Furries cos i love them) I mean that electronic 'warmth' or aura that surrounds their songs, that in every other respect are indie guitar songs, albeit exceptionally brilliant indie guitar songs, lest you think i was classing them in the same catagory as no-talent, NME-hyped posers like the Strokes or the Libertines.
    Needless to say Cian is brains behind the numerous times the band have gone headlong into the dance genre - including their lost classic 'Best Mindf*ck Yet' , only performed live on the Rings Around The World tour, never recorded. He was also the main driving force behind SFA's remixing of Beatle tracks on the Liverpool Sound Collage, being the one who approached McCartney in the first place (in the toilets at the NME Awards as a matter of fact)
    Now don't me wrong, I think Gruff is a genius and deservres all the credit he get, but the brilliance of SFA is definitely a team effort and I just think that Cian's contribution tends to get overlooked sometimes.
    here here.

Advertisement