Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armistice day

Options
  • 11-11-2006 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

and on CNN we are informed on the business news ticker that the Iraqi government estimates that 150,000 civilians have been killed.
    So apparently war is now a business as far as america is concerned.

the death of 150.000 innocent Iraqi people is now considered business news, yet the death of one american soldier (sent by his government to invade another country) makes international headlines.
    fuck you, Ted Turner. may you and your ilk rot in hell.

Will the western world mourn the death of these innocent people on the day they mourn the death of millions of soldiers who have died over the years, or are Iraqi civilians expendible now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Nobody cares anymore why cant you see that.

julep wrote:
    and on CNN we are informed on the business news ticker that the Iraqi government estimates that 150,000 civilians have been killed.

the death of 150.000 innocent Iraqi people is now considered business news,

Has it occured to you that it may just be news and that that is all they are giving god forbid CNN give anything but news no matter what kind it is. Obviously never watched the News long enough to see a programme get an interruption like that have you.? Its JUST NEWS, chill out like.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Steyr wrote:
    Nobody cares anymore why cant you see that.
    I will have no problem banning you for pointless comments like that.
    I'm hungover, so don't push me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by julep

the death of 150.000 innocent Iraqi people is now considered business news,

Has it occured to you that it may just be news and that that is all they are giving god forbid CNN give anything but news no matter what kind it is. Obviously never watched the News long enough to see a programme get an interruption like that have you.? Its JUST NEWS, chill out like.
    yes, it is news. the problem i have with it is that it was referred to as part of the business news. have i been away for so long that the death of innocent people is now a business? it was there alongside the dow jones index.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

surprised it was in the business ticker, mite have been an oversight.

The fact that the iraqi news station is reporting it tho means it rubbish. Its propaganda. I would wait to see it verified by an independent source before casting opinion on it.

Mourning the death of allied soldiers is different. We are mourning "heroes" who fought for the freedom of democracy and you and me. Long may we mourn them.

But you're probably right, even if the stat is true, the western world wont mourn the same way. But then again we dont mourn victims of famine etc.

Speaking of which, do we hold an annual mourn for the victims of Omagh?

Ban me just because your having a bad day ha ha ha ha dont make me sick, thank god your not in power. FYI you cant do that and well this boards has free speech so NO you cant ban anybody just because nobody agrees with you and what goes on in your head.

• Advertisement

julep wrote:
    I will have no problem banning you for pointless comments like that.

Not pointless to ME as i dont care or do the people I know about Iraq so yes it is a valid point.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

faceman wrote:
    surprised it was in the business ticker, mite have been an oversight.

The fact that the iraqi news station is reporting it tho means it rubbish. Its propaganda. I would wait to see it verified by an independent source before casting opinion on it.

Mourning the death of allied soldiers is different. We are mourning "heroes" who fought for the freedom of democracy and you and me. Long may we mourn them.

But you're probably right, even if the stat is true, the western world wont mourn the same way. But then again we dont mourn victims of famine etc.

Speaking of which, do we hold an annual mourn for the victims of Omagh?
    it wasn't an Iraqi news station reporting it.
    this was CNN, an american station. the source was the Iraqi government.
    Steyr wrote:
    Ban me just because your having a bad day ha ha ha ha dont make me sick, thank god your not in power.
    I am here.
    FYI you cant do that and well this boards has free speech so NO you cant ban anybody just because nobody agrees with you and what goes on in your head.
    for future reference, please note that boards.ie does not have a policy of free speech.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

julep wrote:
    it wasn't an Iraqi news station reporting it.
    this was CNN, an american station. the source was the Iraqi government.

sorry yes, i meant to say iraqi government as the source.

Why not pop an email to cnn and ask them about it to see what they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Are you taking the piss there or what?
    I'm not mourning the death of any 'allied' soldiers. They did'nt fight from freedom and democracy, They fought for power and oil.

And fighting for "you and me"??????

My Balls, is all i can say for that ridiculous comment.

T.Sc.

Gobshoite. you obviously dont know what Armistice Day is about. It has nothing to do with Iraq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Are you taking the piss there or what?
    I'm not mourning the death of any 'allied' soldiers. They did'nt fight from freedom and democracy, They fought for power and oil.

so they fought for power and oil in both WW1 and WW2,history not your strong point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

faceman wrote:

I agree the two thing are totally seperate.
    But the fact is that American doesnt give a rats-ass how many Iraqi get killed, but god forbid it be an American soilder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

150.000 Iraqi civilians died since the start of the "War on Terror"? Is that correct? As far as I'm concerned they were murdered by Bush (one of the worse things that happened to humanity since Hitler IMHO) and his administration...

On the subject of CNN: I am not surprised to see "War in Iraq"-related news on the Business ticker... I mean, why did the war happen in the first place? To combat the Al-Qaeda terrorists hiding in Afghanistan responsible for 9/11?
    George W. Bush scares me more than Osama bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Kim Jong-il put together!

Invading a country, for no reason other than financial gain, when the UN tells you not to is just crazy! The US scares me... Europe better start matching their weapons arsenal because we sincerely need to become the new "World Policeman". Our current one has obviously gone crazy...

George W. Bush scares me more than Osama bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Kim Jong-il put together!

i hope you're joking right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Steyr wrote:
    well this boards has free speech

No, no it doesn't. It's a privately owned website and there is no freedom of speech here. There is to an extent, but not utter freedom.
    That said, Julep's hangover doesn't mean he's entitled to warrant posts pointless and ban people for it either. He may be moderator but that can be quickly changed if hes going to be a nazi.

ANYWAY, I see where you're coming from Julep, or at least the thought process behind the original post.
    I don't know whether the fact that they posted the death tolls on the business news ticker means that they view the war/slaughter of thousands upon thousands of innocent Iraqis as a business, could just be a slow day in the business news. Or you could be right, maybe the business/political heads do view it as a business.

Either way, I think everyone knows by now that the "war" in Iraq was wrong from the start. We all know it certainly did have its business side to it i.e America gaining control of the oil for its own benefit. Whether CNNs publishing of the death tolls is showing us that they view it as business, I'm undecided.
    julep wrote:
    Will the western world mourn the death of these innocent people on the day they mourn the death of millions of soldiers who have died over the years, or are Iraqi civilians expendible now?

I can't imagine anyone but the Iraqis will ever mourn the death of their civilians, as tragic as it is.

Let's not confuse Armistice Day (Anniversary of the end of World War I) and the murdering prowess of the american soldiers in Iraq...

faceman wrote:
    i hope you're joking right?
    Not one bit actually. That's how "terrorised" I am of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

World War 1 and 2, along with almost every war ever staged was done so because of the financial rewadrds obtained through gaining natural resources and expanding empires.
    In that way there are certain similarities with the Iraq situation, but i suppose the armies were more evenly matched.

People call soldiers killed during wars "Heroes", some may be, but the majority were just victims. There is no heroism in being conscripted into an army, sent off to a foreign land and being shot dead.

i guess the whole heroes thing has a lot to do with the old adage, It is the victors who write history.

People also talk about the numbers killed in Iraq, yes it is astronomical and tragic, but the vast majority have been killed by fellow Iraqis.

but the vast majority have been killed by fellow Iraqis.

Do you have evidence to back up that statement?Or a link perhaps?

rb_ie wrote:
    Do you have evidence to back up that statement?Or a link perhaps?
    I'd say he doesn't... Probably watched CNN or Sky News too much! :p

• Advertisement

I'd say he doesn't... Probably watched CNN or Sky News too much! :p

Are you trying to tell me that the estimated 100 people killed a day in Iraq, were murdered by American soldiers? Dont be ridiculous, maybe Bush killed them all himself eh?

Its pretty clear that this whole Armistice day thread has been overtaken by stupid anti - american lefties who are going to try to justify why they dont like the country.

As for watching too much CNN and Sky News? Yeah and i read newspapers too, does not make me a puppet of the multi media evil empire that is America?

Sounds to me like your jumping on the trendy attack America bandwagon.

Thats a poor response at best. Again, do you have any links to prove the claim that the majority of the death toll in Iraq was due to Iraqis killing fellow Iraqis?

Are you trying to tell me that the estimated 100 people killed a day in Iraq, were murdered by American soldiers? Dont be ridiculous, maybe Bush killed them all himself eh?
    Answer me this then: Would there be 100 people killed a day in Iraq today if Bush hadn't decided to attack them for their oil?
    Its pretty clear that this whole Armistice day thread has been overtaken by stupid anti - american lefties who are going to try to justify why they dont like the country.
    I'm actually right wing thank you very much. Probably more than you are. This doesn't stop me disliking Bush and his administration. He's dangerous and if you can't see this, you're a fool.
    As for watching too much CNN and Sky News? Yeah and i read newspapers too, does not make me a puppet of the multi media evil empire that is America?
    Yes :p
    Sounds to me like your jumping on the trendy attack America bandwagon.
    I don't jump on bandwagons. I can actually think for myself, don't need the trashy american/english media to tell me how... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Steyr has a point. Nobody cares any more, which is ultimately the problem. If you ever saw the film hotel Rwanda there's an excellent quote that sums it up. "I think if people see this footage, they'll say Oh, my God, that's horrible. And then they'll go on eating their dinners.".

It think the fact that the thousands of Iraqi civilian deaths don't make front page news is a reflection of this.

No there wouldn't be 100 killed everyday if they hadn't invaded. So what? That doesn't alter the fact that its not the Americans pulling the trigger. I'm talking facts not opinions.

As far as linking evidence to support what i say, why would i want to do that. Surely thats a waste of time if people aren't even willing to accept facts, just because i dont want to go to the bother in proving something that is fairly obvious.

I'm not saying it was a good thing, and i'm not saying they are not at fault. My point is that although they were the original cause of the conflict, it is the civil war which will claim more lives.

I didn't say Bush wasn't dangerous, and i am not a fool, I'm a puppet because i have an opinion that doesn't match yours. As for being right wing, your correct, you would be very much more right wing than i am. Your still wrong though.

No there wouldn't be 100 killed everyday if they hadn't invaded. So what? That doesn't alter the fact that its not the Americans pulling the trigger. I'm talking facts not opinions.

Present them.
    As far as linking evidence to support what i say, why would i want to do that. Surely thats a waste of time if people aren't even willing to accept facts,

Ridiculous argument. Either show us facts to prove that the Iraqis themselves have caused a greater percentage of the total death toll since the beginning of the war in Iraq, or stop making things up.
    just because i dont want to go to the bother in proving something that is fairly obvious.

I fail to see how it is at all obvious. We all saw the footage of the Americans almost carpet bombing throughout Iraq, how is it obvious at all that the Iraqis are mainly responsible to the death toll of their own people?
    My point is that although they were the original cause of the conflict

Huh?Iraq started the war?Thats news to me.

Your still wrong though.

Listen, we can all make up "facts" and then make excuses to not bother backing them up. Its easy! That doesn't make us right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

First off, they, as in America, started the war.

Secondly how long did it last? Are they still carpet bombing, no.

Since the thing has gone on and on it has developed into a civil war on the basis of religious division.

I cant believe people are still not admitting this. It is obvious that America are there now as a police force and not an invading army, and by that i mean the invasion is complete and they are trying, half assed, to try to control the different sects.

Why do i need to prove that the daily car bombings and beheadings in Baghdad are not done by Americans, its fairly obvious.

It is ridiculous to ask me to get facts to prove everything i say. why dont you prove to me that George Bush is evil, more so than Kim Jong Il et al. Quantify that and get back to me.

It is ridiculous to ask me to get facts to prove everything i say.
    I'm not saying you have to back up everything you say with links to facts/sources, just that if you're going to make statements such as the one in this thread you should be able to back it up with some sort of proof. Saying that the Iraqis are responsible for the better part of the total death toll is a statement that requires some sort of proof/facts/figures.
    why dont you prove to me that George Bush is evil, more so than Kim Jong Il et al. Quantify that and get back to me.

Where in this thread did I say he was?

• Advertisement

I seem to be arrguing against two people.

The brief "war" has descended into a civil war of attrition, resulting in heavy losses on both sides. This has gone on for over two years and has killed more than the amoount that the US killed, soldiers and civilians. You drag up the numbers if you want to prove me wrong

Advertisement