Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charvel model 4 questions

Options
  • 10-11-2006 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I have a Charvel model 4 (1987) which to be honest has not been played in a couple of years since the kiddies came along.
    Took it out the other day and apart from desperately needing new strings it played great apart from my rusty fingers (breaking one last year while drunk didn't help).
    So anyway I need to sort out one or two problems and need some advice.
    I need to source an adjusting bolt for the Jackson Flloyd rose. They don't seem the same as standard adjusting bolts and have been met with shrugged shoulders a few years ago when looking for same.
    Also, there seems to be a bit of a buzz on the g string even when played open.
    Lastly, anyone got any (honest) opinion on these guitars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Charvels are great, keep that :D

Adjusting bolt? which bit is that?

You'd be better off posting these questions at www.jcfonline.com

It's full of Jackson and Charvel fanatics, so you'll get sorted in no time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Do you mean allen wrenches?

480.1278.jpg

You can get sets in Atlantic, Woodies, etc in metric and imperial sizes and off the internet easily if you need anything specific.

Regarding the buzzing, read the instrument setup guides in the resources sticky (there's avery good one about setting up an Ibanez with a Floyd type trem which should guide you through everything you need to know to bring the guitar back up to scratch.

Got any pics? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

scubagit wrote:
    Hi Folks,

So anyway I need to sort out one or two problems and need some advice.
    I need to source an adjusting bolt for the Jackson Flloyd rose. They don't seem the same as standard adjusting bolts and have been met with shrugged shoulders a few years ago when looking for same.

Is the floyd the same as the one in this auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/1980s-Charvel-Model-4-guitar-EVH-era-active-Jackson-pu_W0QQitemZ180049222890QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33044QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or a fully licensed Floyd?

If it's the later like it was said already, you're probably looking for a set of allen keys.
    I'm not too familliar with the first type though (which stems i think from when Kramer had an exclusive on proper Floyd Rose bridges)

The measurements are usually standard so if you pop into a hardware store, they should be able to sort you out. If you try a guitar shop, odds are they'll look at you like you have two heads or gouge you silly for something you can buy in a hardware shop for a few quid.

scubagit wrote:
    Lastly, anyone got any (honest) opinion on these guitars?

Charvels are generally decent guitars - a sister brand of Jackson. Before the Jackson brand was widened to cover non USA models, They were generally the Squire to Jacksons' Fender, - solid guitars.
    In fact, a lot of those Charvels are better than some of the guitars Jackson have turned out in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

The guitar in the ebay link is the exact model except mine is metallic blue.
    I probably didn't explain myself about the adjusters. It's the actual tuners on the bridge itself I need. The internal edges on one have been worn out possibly due to the previous owner using the wrong size allen key and as a result I don't think the string is being held in as tight as it could be.
    Sorry for the confusion but I am familiar with the allen key!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

scubagit wrote:
    The guitar in the ebay link is the exact model except mine is metallic blue.
    I probably didn't explain myself about the adjusters. It's the actual tuners on the bridge itself I need. The internal edges on one have been worn out possibly due to the previous owner using the wrong size allen key and as a result I don't think the string is being held in as tight as it could be.
    Sorry for the confusion but I am familiar with the allen key!!!

Have you tried gripping it with a pliers, and turning it that way?

• Advertisement

I'm still not sure what part you're talking about, you don't need an allen key to adjust the fine tuners?

Have a look here and let us know which part it is.

It does actually turn with an allenkey, just slips when it starts to get tight which is why I'll replace the bolts if I can get hold of them somewhere.

Doctor J wrote:
    I'm still not sure what part you're talking about, you don't need an allen key to adjust the fine tuners?

I'm assuming he's on about the string lock screws, seeing as he was on about holding the string.

scubagit wrote:
    It does actually turn with an allenkey, just slips when it starts to get tight which is why I'll replace the bolts if I can get hold of them somewhere.

See if you can use a pliers to tighten it further.

If it is the string clamp screw, then get one off stewmac and hope that it fits. Other than that, it's poxy to get parts for licenced trems, it'd probably be cheaper and easier to replace the whole trem.

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote:

Aha!!
    It's the string lock screw folks. However if you look at the diagram you will see fine tuners as well as string lock screws. Mine doesn't have them. You see the fine tuner and lock screw are connected. Have a close look at the bridge in the ebay link and you'll see what I'm cr@pping on about.
    Anyone else's head hurting??

scubagit wrote:
    Aha!!
    It's the string lock screw folks. However if you look at the diagram you will see fine tuners as well as string lock screws. Mine doesn't have them. You see the fine tuner and lock screw are connected. Have a close look at the bridge in the ebay link and you'll see what I'm cr@pping on about.
    Anyone else's head hurting??

You might be looking at replacing the trem. I'd suggest an Ibanez trem, they're easily the best, most stable, and easiest to use.

Just buy that one, spare parts for life ;)

Advertisement