Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed rate mortgages

Options
  • 10-11-2006 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

I am just coming to the end of my first year in my current house with which we have a nice 1 year fixed rate of 2.9 %, so have to decide whether to go fixed for 3/5 years or risk variable and hope that interest rates start to fall.

I am thinking 3 years fixed at 4.56%.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Interest rates aren't going to fall by the look of the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Hello,

That rate does not seem to bad. However, you should really take a look around as the whole mortgage business is getting really competitive. Take for example NIB new product where you could move your mortgage free of charge (well nearly) and take advantage of their new rates. I don't know your circumstance in terms the loan to value, value of mortgage, your ability to meet further increases in repayments, if you go with a tracker or variable rate.. You should also check out www.askaboutmoney.com as there is alot of good information on mortgages and that kind of stuff, but I suppose, if you feel rates are going to rise alot in the future, maybe fixing is for you. For me a tracker does the business for me and I think with increased competition, you may be able to offset a good part of the rate increases. I know this is a general comment but it will work for some people.

Advertisement