Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands Wanted

Options
  • 09-11-2006 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

My name is Liz, and I and others in my year have formed a music company called Greener Side Music (I link to the site but its been down quite a bit lately so there's not much on it) as part of Blastbeat. Where we audition bands, select a winning band and promote them, and where at the end all the music companies have the bands play together in a final gig, where an overall winner will be selected, and that band will win a recording contract. As a music company we look after all the administrative stuff, selling CDs to fundraise, promoting the band, public relations, CD and gig reviews, all that sort of stuff. But most importantly we need a good band! We're looking to audition bands on the 2nd and (possibly 3rd) of December in Temple Bar Music Centre. Groups of all genres and ages are welcome. Please email greenersidemusic@blastbeat.com if you are interested and we'll fix you up with a time slot.

Liz

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

great stuff. email on the way.

;)

deXtra

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That should actually be greenersidemusic@blastbeat.org not .com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

That would explain why I got no reply.. will email you again Monday.
    TK - JekyL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

hmmm sounds like yet another X Factor type thing to me..

3 people judging perhaps,, and a grand final?...and what about gear used??.lets say one of the bands has a drummer who has a veryy large drumset *as i do! and nooo im not interested in playing!* will you folks take the time and attention to put it up correctly and make sure he/she sounds as goood as they normally do?...coz if that person has to instead play a bog standard 4 piece bit of rubbish well,,then its not worth doing...you cant get good sounds/music out of substandard apparatus and thats just it.
    Sorry for coming accross as a cynic..but quite frankly I am!...the music scene for original bands is woeful and many inadequate bands exsist , some decent ones too..but to have a competition to see whos best?..naaa thats veryy X Factor to me..real rock and roll bands just dont do it..those that do?..umm a job for their mammys to wipe their noses if yu ask me!

ciao' amigo...goood luk with it i suppose...Baggio....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Hmmh dont spose your looking for the oneman band type ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

is the same thing as RTE covered a while ago ? looked like a good setup / idealogy

Yeah RTE covered it last year, they may be doing another series on it again this year.

RAIN: I'm not sure what our A&R people are looking for but you can send and email and ask them sure.

Oh and I just found out today that at least one member of the band has to be in secondary education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Piste wrote:
    Oh and I just found out today that at least one member of the band has to be in secondary education.
    :rolleyes:

Quite a big stipulation that you've omitted there dontcha think? Most 2nd level students wouldn't even be old enough to be allowed into many gigs legally.

I only found out today, I said that.

Many second level students are in bands and and do perform at and go to gigs. Whatever venue the gigs will be held at will be all ages because are target audience is all ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Fair enough. But between the 2nd level requirement, failure to address questions raised by Baggio and the wrong email address in original post, I don't think you've represented yourself or your organisation very well so far.

I say this because I brought your thread to the attention of a good band I know for follow-up, seems as though now it's been a waste of time due to the witholding of key info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Audio Heaven

Is it like X-factor and wat happens after the auditions?http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif
    :)

Savman wrote:
    Fair enough. But between the 2nd level requirement, failure to address questions raised by Baggio and the wrong email address in original post, I don't think you've represented yourself or your organisation very well so far.

I say this because I brought your thread to the attention of a good band I know for follow-up, seems as though now it's been a waste of time due to the witholding of key info.

It wasn't so much "withholding" of information, so much as I didn't know.

No it is nothing like X-factor, X-factor is televised and big budget and people get slated by judges. The auditions will not be televised, if the A&R people decide they want to make a gig out of the auditions it'll be more a like a battle of the bands.

Drums and amps kits are provided, by TBMC and I doubt they're "standard four piece rubbish". Each band is given time for setup, they'll be setting up their own equipment. For the final gig they'll have their own drumkit, this is just to save time as the venue does cost money so we want the minimize the amount of setup time necessary.

There's no "panel" of judges, just the CEOs and A&R staff, the A&R staff afaik consist of a metalhead and an emohead so I doubt any sort of X-factor type music will win.

After the auditions the band will do gigs and the PR staff will let the public know about them, there will be a final battle of the bands after a few months, of all the bands who the different blastbeat companies have selected, the winner of that will win a recording contract.

emo and metalhead music heads???...isnt that the kind of music that many folks are getting tired of hearing???..especially if it's badly done?...sorry for cynism folks...but this type of "battle of the bands" type stuff..just does my head in...ok if their a bunch of teen bands then goood luck to them...but adult musicians? playing in a competition???....real rock bands...dont do it>... nooo wayyy hose!!

ciao' amigos....Baggio....

Ok stop telling people not to do it, if you don't want to that's fine, but discouraging others? Wtf? We're not looking for adult bands anyway, I know I didn't say that in my original post but as soon as I found out I clarified it. I said that they're metal and emoheads so as to show it wont be typical X-factor stuff (I mean getting Brian Kennedy to write songs would cost us a fortune) that's not to say that only metal/emo bands will win, what sounds good to them will win, and though they'll have the final decision they'll listen to the input of other staff about the bands.

Anything else you'd like to slate us about?

ummm no not really......
    ..... ..is up to other folks what they do..im just cynical about original band scene at the mo....some great folks out there trying hard,,,and no one ever seems to really get anywhere??..is veryyy odd...and battle of the bands stuff just doesnt feel right...but thats just me....loook if it goes well and a decent band or two comes from it then fair play......i just dont see any refreshing music coming out,...most bands seem to be clones of one genre or another with nothing really refreshing....
    still ya never know maybe a band will change my mind.....i think maybe theres rooom for judging perhaps individual musicianship throughout a night like that???...that could make things veryyy interesting...and put the emphises on not only group sound but musicianship aswelll and THATS where things need to improve a lot across the board in my humble opinion.

ciao' amigo and goood luck....Baggio....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Played at this last year. Absolute sham. It consisted of us arriving at 11 for soundchecks to be told we'd be on first. That was fine. About 11 30 we're told oh its been changed you are going on last. That wasn't too bad so we said we'd go get some breakfast because the band on last wouldn't get a soundcheck. So about 11 50 we've just ordered our food when we're told we've to get back that its been changed again and we're on first. We have to be back to have our soundcheck and be ready to start for 12 30. So again we get back after having to throw our food out we get rushed through a 5 minute soundcheck where they took no notice of the fact that my vocal monitors weren't working. All the employees were really ignorant. I'd strongly encourage anyone to stay away from this. Sound and organisation were both awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Audio Heaven

Is there a list of songs to choose from or do you play your own?:) :):):):)

DSB wrote:
    Played at this last year. Absolute sham. It consisted of us arriving at 11 for soundchecks to be told we'd be on first. That was fine. About 11 30 we're told oh its been changed you are going on last. That wasn't too bad so we said we'd go get some breakfast because the band on last wouldn't get a soundcheck. So about 11 50 we've just ordered our food when we're told we've to get back that its been changed again and we're on first. We have to be back to have our soundcheck and be ready to start for 12 30. So again we get back after having to throw our food out we get rushed through a 5 minute soundcheck where they took no notice of the fact that my vocal monitors weren't working. All the employees were really ignorant. I'd strongly encourage anyone to stay away from this. Sound and organisation were both awful.

Hang on a sec, was this blast or blastbeat? There is a difference you know :)

We've have nothing to do with whatever you were doing last year, no-one is going to mess you about and everything should run smoothly if people stick the time alotted to them.

Audio Heaven: You can play whatever you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

It was Blastbeat and either way anything to do with blast is bad enough.

Well sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them, at least we know now how to be better than they were last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement