Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE News - Sky News???

Options
  • 09-11-2006 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭

Haven't been watching RTE news much over recent months but did last night.

I was surprised to see that they'd gone all "Sky-like" in their reporting on that terrible car accident in Ballinrobe...

There was the roving reporter out and about at the scene of the accident with the Garda and the ambulances and the blue flashing lights behind him.

Is this kind of reporting a new departure for RTE?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sudzs wrote:
    Haven't been watching RTE news much over recent months but did last night.

I was surprised to see that they'd gone all "Sky-like" in their reporting on that terrible car accident in Ballinrobe...

There was the roving reporter out and about at the scene of the accident with the Garda and the ambulances and the blue flashing lights behind him.

Is this kind of reporting a new departure for RTE?
    I'd say it was coincidental - the reporter/camera crew may have been in the area. It happens occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

sudzs wrote:

coincidental i would say too. i would hardly say its a Sky thing. they aren't the only ones to do this sort of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

The one comparison I'd make to Sky would be that they were on the scene fast! I'd wait awhile before thinking that it's a sign of things to come though.

Just a note about yesterday's coverage on Rumsfeld - the Bush press conference at 6:00 was covered by no fewer than three screens on Sky News Active - one simulcasting the main channel (as usual), another with the direct feed, and a third relaying Fox News. The Fox one at least could have been dropped, it's not as if anybody trusts them anyway...

Keith Olbermann (Nov 6th)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

I think they need to stop the whole "So far this year (x) people have been killed on Irish roads. These are their names: ..."

Followed by the names, ages and home counties/countries scrolling up the screen. It's just a cheap way of filling time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I think they need to stop the whole "So far this year (x) people have been killed on Irish roads. These are their names: ..."

Followed by the names, ages and home counties/countries scrolling up the screen. It's just a cheap way of filling time.
    Or a good way of hitting home just how many accidents there are in each individual month, since they don't all get national press attention.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Or a good way of hitting home just how many accidents there are in each individual month, since they don't all get national press attention.

Agreed, and how young they all are. It's very difficult to watch sometimes but I think it's a good decision by RTE to do it.

RTE are a long way from going the somewhat tabloidy Sky News route. At least they don't have a million different scrolling news texts going across and up and down and into an out of the screen :rolleyes:

Advertisement