Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncey cheque question

Options
  • 08-11-2006 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

For the first time in my life, I managed to bounce a cheque. The cheque was to pay a credit card, the credit card company has received the payment (according to online banking).

What is annoying me is that the bank took the money from my account one day, realised I hadn't the funds and three days later, credited the money back to my account.

For the privilege of this, they charged me €12.75.

I am annoyned that I managed to bounce the cheque, I am even more annoyed in the way the bank handled the whole thing.

What I am wondering is if this is normal? Is this how cheques are normally bounced? I would have thought they would have got the cheque, looked at my account and saw there wasn't enough funds, so refused it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I always thought that cheques were 'returned unpaid', never bounced a cheque either so I can't be sure on this. I believe mine are paid if I don't have enough funds to cover them and I have a day or two to get the funds back into the account to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Some banks are returning far more cheques and direct debits than they used to in order to subsidise their "Free" banking. My bank always paid my cheques and direct debits even when I was a few quid over the limit. When they announced they were now offering "free" banking they followed this by changing their policy and not honouring them once you went over your limit (no matter how much by) so suddenly after 5 years of trouble free banking I had three returned direct debits and 2 cheques within 3 months - I'm now about to move banks as a result they have lost all my business - mortgage, credit cards, insurance, investments I hope they think it was worth it.

Advertisement