Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buzzing and dead note on a strat

Options
  • 08-11-2006 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

I have a buzzing from strings where their too close to the frets and a dead note 11th fret on the high e is this because the truss rod isnt set up properly?

the dead note gives me the same note as the 12th fret on the high e, but if I slightly bend it up i get a different sound.

Would adjusting the truss rod fix this?

I don't think i'd try it myself, probably get a professional to do it, just curios if that is whats causing the problem.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You've got one fret lower than the next one, when you bend up it's the sound of the 11th fret rising up and taking the string off the 12th fret. The truss rod won't help you here. There are plenty of guides to fret levelling and crowning on the web but, as usual, if you're unsure bring it to a professional, or you can just higher the string saddle a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

The doc is right as always. I'd just add that it could be that the 12th fret is popping up a bit out of the fret board wood. If you get a metal ruler it should lie flat along the frets. If it rocks back and forth on one fret, you probably have a raised fret. Here's a link to a proper tool for checking that. If that fret used to be OK then a quick and dirty solution could be to tap the fret back in with a a rubber mallet (available in Woodies fpr a few €). Be careful obviously!
    Most new guitars usually could do with some fret levelling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

just tried the ruler there, it rocks alright. Is it expensive to get them leveled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Give Derrick Nelson a ring and he'll tell you exactly how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Hi al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

-=al=- wrote:
    Hi al
    Sickened

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Doctor J wrote:
    Give Derrick Nelson a ring and he'll tell you exactly how much.

Will do, thanks - I presume the number in the resources thread is ok.
    -=al=- wrote:
    Hi al

Hi al !!... this could go on couldn't it :D

Advertisement