Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€100/€1000 Challenge

Options
  • 08-11-2006 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

New to this board but wanted to throw this out there to see what people think of this challenge...

Does the board think it's possible to take either a €1 and turn it into €100, (or for those who like bigger odds - turn €10 into €1000) by the end of the year ?

The challenge would be to place one bet each day, (one that the majority of posters agree is the best bet) at average odds of evens, so over a period of time, you would steadily increase your returns. Using the policy of only ever betting up to half your balance and assuming there wil be losing bets along the way - can it be done ??

So if we started with €1 (or €10) in the kitty, the first bet would be for €0.50 (€5) max and if that bet were say at 1/1 and won, the next bet max would grow to €0.75 (€7.50) and so on so that if a bet loses, the kitty is not wipped out in one go. The bets should be limited to singles or doubles only to increase the chances of it coming in.

What do people think - possible/impossible !!!

I calculate it would take 13 successive winning bets at average odds of evens to do this. Obviously in reality, unless we had a very lucky run, it would take more time with the balance halving on each unsucessful bet.

Anyone think it worth having a go at this combining knowledge of everyone on the board giving it a better chance or too much of a long shot trying to select the 'right' bet each day ????:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

An interesting proposition, nay a challenge. I'm up for it, i dunno if you'd get a bet every day though. Also how would you decide on the consensus, the staking, would it always be half stake? 1st 2 bets lose and you've got to start from scratch, or by the time you hit €500, are you still going to go €250 and €250 and again possibly lose both bets? Maybe a 10% staking style plan would be better??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yoursomelanger

Glenbhoy - yes all valid queries which add to this challenge. I agree, you would not necessarliy have to have a bet each day if the challenge is to reach target by the end of the year. The crux will be how to decide on a consensus of which is the best bet to go with each time.

Maybe the approach would be for those interested is to post the 'best bet prospect' in their view each time and then each person taking the challenge decides for themselves which bet they will go with. In that way, it becomes like a competition of sorts to see who can reach the magical number first.

As you say, if the first two bets lose then the kitty is almost gone already so the initial bets would have to be 'safer' bets or shorter odds to build up the balance. As the balance increases, the bet stake can be higher and again as you say not necessarily 50% of the balance needs to be bet at a time. I used this as a guide that in theory using this strategy and with 13 consecutive winning bets you would achieve your goal.

I'm sure most people like a challenge and I'm interested if people have tried this before or have used different systems which have or haven't worked. My luck hasn't been great lately so I'm starting from scratch and wanted to try something new to see how it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pighead started something similar over in wannabet a while back.
    http://www.wannabet.ie/boards/showthread.php?t=128

Check the thread out for some ideas if ya like.

Pighead - thanks. I thought there might have been something already tried like this (but was too lazy to search :))

I went to the link and it seems it was all set to go and opened with a winning selection when it then just stopped - what happened ?? lack of input ?

the reason I opened this up here was that it would not be limited to one sport and with different people having better knowledge on different sports, you could always come up with a decent selection !

I might run with this myself for a while and see how it goes and maybe it may gather momentum if there is some success....

anyway, I kind of jumped the gun last night and placed my €10 (I know breaking my rules already by betting 100%) on a in-play double of Celtic/Falkirk to end in a draw at end of extra time and Southend to hold out against Utd (with about 15 mins to go) - it paid out about €34 so a half-decent start....

tonight I'm going for a treble (another rule gone)

Spurs -1 to beat Port Vale
    Liverpool to beat Birmingham
    Hibs/Hearts - draw

€5 @ 9/1

no luck last night but bet was small. as they used to say on Mastermind - "I started so I'll finish"...

today's punt EUR7.50 e/w on Consonant in the 5.50 at Wolves today - odds 11/2. Has been very unlucky in last two races and is a C&D winner with Holland on board again today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

I turned 100 into over 3000ish, mainly tennis matches!! I find Tennis very easy to win money on, firstly there is only two outcomes => WIN or LOSE!! Tennis Unlike Soccer, GAA etc has nastly draws which come into play.. leaving 3 outcomes,

Generally I will take any odds 1.10 or greater and bet no more than 50% of total bank but have bet whole bank in running to maximise winnings

Best of Luck anyways...

thanks for the input Wooly.... I know feck all about tennis, (mind you with some of my selections so far that could apply to other sports too) so will be stickly mainly to soccer, racing, rugby or GAA but would look at other opportunities where it made sense...

now that I'm back to square 1, i,e, €10 in the bank and after several breaking rules already, it's time to get back on track.

so tonight's bet is €5 on Cork City/Shelbourne draw @ 2/1

games in recent meetings between these sides have always been tight and with the mid-week results going the way they did, I think Shels will be happy enough to come away with a point from Cork knowing that it would end any faint hopes Cork have of the title.

btw - any inputs in terms of good betting prospects welcome on here - I don't think I'll get too far on my own here :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You wont get anywhere betting 50% of your bank every time. You should make every bet from here on in 2euro or under. Going over that will just lead to failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

when you do eventually build up a bit of a bankroll you should be taking advantage of the various sports betting deposit bonuses available throughout the net..
    by setting up new accounts in this way you can also check which site offers the best odds on a particular event, place the bet, and claim the deposit bonus.. win win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Is there any way of setting up a fun competition where everyone has a virtual bank and they post their bets up, etc. I haven't a clue how it'd work but I'd leave that up to you lot. :) Thoughts?

• Advertisement

we tried that, see the sticky. The football competition thread. Went tits up though.

I guess my intent here was to 'encourage' people on here to start with their own bank, however big or small they wanted depending on the stakes people normally bet with. I just used an example of starting with €1 or €10 and working from there. As you can already see, doing this on your own is very difficult and at the moment my luck is up there with Liverpool's away form this season.

What I had hoped would happen is that various people on here would provide suggestions on good bets to place using their knowledge, expertise on various sports or a tip they were given and then it would be up to each person what bet they would go with in attempting to increase their bank. It would have been a bit of fun seeing how people were doing each week and hopefully a few people would do weel and make the target.

It seems per Pighead and others that this was attempted before and due to lack of input or whatever it hasn't worked. I'm willing to have a go but it certainly won't work with input from many people. I thought about putting this up on the Horse Racing or Soccer forums but thought it would stand a better chance here if you didn't rule out any sport and gathered input across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

If I were aiming to make 100 quid into 1000 quid, I'd be playing rollover backing "1 or more goals" on the "total goals" market on betfair. Average odds 1.10 though, so maybe not what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

hi all, first time posting in gabling forum, usually a lurker and sometime poster in poker. I read this thread last week and decided to give it a go over the weekend. Started with 10 instead of 100 (student) up to 5 after tonight. Heres what i've done, any suggestions or tips for completing it appreciated...

5euro man utd to beat blackburn cant remember odds but finished with 12e in my account

5euro double on derry city to beat waterford and millwall to beat whoever they were playing in the FA cup on Monday. Up to about 17euro.

Tonight went for an 8 euro double on Brazil to bat Switzerland (5/6, decent odds) and Poland to beat Belgium (15/8).

On 52 euro or so now in my boylesports account, feeling confident. Suggestions to finish it?
    cheers

keep you betting stakes small. I wouldnt go over a 5euro stake until your at 100euro. Alot of people(guilty myself) when they go on a bit of a winning strike start to increase their stake then after a few bad results are down to where they started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Longford are a decent bet to beat St Pats tomorrow night. Pat's won't want injuries or cards with the Cup final coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bateman wrote:
    Longford are a decent bet to beat St Pats tomorrow night. Pat's won't want injuries or cards with the Cup final coming up.
    Pighead was thinking of doing this bet too but Longford are missing a few players so it put me off a bit.

Alan Murphy, Kevin Doherty and Dave Mooney are banned while Martin brothers, John and Robbie, are injured while David Freeman has pleurisy. Looks like they're gonna give a few of their kids a run out.

Also theres no real incentive for Longford as the only way they can overtake St Pats is by winning 4-0. Looks like a boring end of season draw to me.

how about this for a Friday night accumulator....

Shels/Bohs - Shels win 4/11
    Derry/Cork - Derry win evens
    Cardiff/QPR - Cardiff win 8/13

Shels will not want to lose the title on their home pitch against Bohs who are missing a few players through injury. I would even be tempted to go with Shels to win to nil.
    Derry are at full strength and will want to send Kenny off on a high. Cork are missing Gamble & O'Brien in midfield through suspension so I would expect Derry to get through this one.
    Cardiff beginning to get back to form against QPR who are in the bottom half of the table.

Advertisement