Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know global warming has hit Ireland when...

Options
  • 07-11-2006 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

you almost get stung by a massive bumble bee in November!

Yeah I was on the train today and this huge buzzing fcuker lands right next to me, knowing that they're more lethal after the summer so i ran! :)

Anyway wasps, bees are meant to die out by September aren't they? I've seen them all through October but November is taking the biscuit. Have i just been seeing things or are they still everywhere? I know someone who got stung by a wasp last month and they were in a bad way, is this a sign of things because I hate them so much and can't leave my window open during the summer but now November?

Anyone else hate (or afraid) bees/wasps or does anyone actually like having them around?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

C'mon those critters weigh about .5 of a gramme!!!

They won't do you any harm. Loosen up a bitT;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

the strongest meanest ones survive well into the cold season. careful now they are surly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

They won't do you any harm. Loosen up a bitT;)

Oh yeah? Well I was lucky enough to get hospitalised the last time I got stung by a wasp. I was stung on my ankle and my leg got so badly swollen up to my knee that it was too painful to walk on for 2 days. That's my excuse for being bloody petrified of them! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Can't quite believe the good people of the U.S.of A still deem global warming to be a fallacy!

Think for me it's the fact it can be really warm some days and baltic the next, seems to be no rhyme or reason to it tbh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I think they are just getting more used to the cold. Caught one and put him in the freezer a few weeks ago to send him into hibernation so I could walk around with a bee on a string (they wake up maybe 5 minutes after being taken out of the freezer, which means you can put a lease on them). The bugger took nearly 20 minutes to fall asleep, the one last year only took 10! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Miss Fluff wrote:
    Can't quite believe the good people of the U.S.of A still deem global warming to be a fallacy!

Oh really?I can.

Found quite a large wasp in my room the other day, though it didn't seem to be full of energy though and seemed quite disorientated. Even though its totally against my normal policy not to kill insects where avoidable, I wasn't chancing having that monster get its stinger near me. The fact that its still alive after all the cold times we've had recently was a clear indication that this was one that was not to be messed with, so I got a shoe and put it out of its misery.

Crazy that theres still a few of them around though, first we're getting monster spiders appearing, as though the old smaller spiders have evolved somewhat, and now the wasps/bees are living longer into the winter...what next?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I can't stand to be in the same room as the damn things. :( Sure, there would be nothing left unbroken after I was done. Something not far off this. Mow down everything in sight. :)

L31mr0d wrote:
    I think they are just getting more used to the cold. Caught one and put him in the freezer a few weeks ago to send him into hibernation so I could walk around with a bee on a string (they wake up maybe 5 minutes after being taken out of the freezer, which means you can put a lease on them). The bugger took nearly 20 minutes to fall asleep, the one last year only took 10! :D

Only thing that comes to mind is... what?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

One flew into me yesterday alright. I panicked and did my usual shrieking and flailing madly about. Bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Myth wrote:
    Only thing that comes to mind is... what?
    Never seen a bee on a leash/string? Click

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

You know global warming has hit Ireland when...

It stops raining, sand replaces soil, and King George II invades Ireland thinking there's oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Actually now that I come to think of it. It was around this time last year that I went on my honeymoon. We rented a little cottage in the middle of Normandy, but every morning we got up there would be 3 or 4 wasps just clinging to the net curtain on the door. They where disorientated, like rb_ie said. We'd kill them, leave, and by the time we came back there would be 3 or 4 more??? It got bizaar after a week of this constant occurance, we started to think we where imagining that we where killing them as there where none flying around yet there was always 4 or 5 on this window no matter how often we'd kill them. We must of killed maybe 60 of them over the whole week.

It was only on the last day that we figured out where they where coming from, there was a gap where the cast iron stove went into the ceiling, and they where falling down and WALKING along the wall behind the presses and climbing up the door. What was REALLY weird was that when we got home i'd left the bedroom window ajar and there where 3 WASPS on the inside of it. It was like the ending to a really cheesy horror movie or something "The're BACK"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

L31mr0d wrote:
    We'd kill them, leave, and by the time we came back there would be 3 or 4 more??? ... yet there was always 4 or 5 on this window no matter how often we'd kill them.

Pesky zombie wasps!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

hate the little cnuts!! got stung in my ear when i was a nipper by a wasp and in the car one day and a bee went up my jumped and got me on the chest...thought id been shot.

im like ruu on the offence though...no lightbulb left unbroken. nothing more satisfying then winning and swatting the little bugger clean out of the sky...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

L31mr0d wrote:
    so I could walk around with a bee on a string

I've always wanted to do that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Funny you mention this, was sitting in house yesterday and from nowhere this MASSIVE bee comes walking across the floor, looked like he was stoned, wasnt in good shape, quick wack of a book and threw him out the window. Another one bites the dust:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

L31mr0d wrote:
    Whats the going rate for a lease on a bee these days? Hugely overpriced last time I checked.

Advertisement