Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CowBaby!

Options
  • 06-11-2006 11:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Finally, all this science stuff is paying off for humanity:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6121280.stm
    UK scientists have applied for permission to create embryos by fusing human DNA with cow eggs.

Researchers from Newcastle University and Kings College, London, have asked the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority for a three-year licence.

In your face, nature.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Ah yes, cowbaby. The body of a cow but with the mind of a baby.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

flogen wrote:
    UK scientists have applied for permission to create embryos by fusing human DNA with cow eggs.

Researchers from Newcastle University and Kings College, London, have asked the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority for a three-year licence.

Wtf?

Cows don't lay eggs.

:V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

I expected pictures, bit of a let down. Weel get pictures some day, hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Silverfish wrote:
    Wtf?

Cows don't lay eggs.

Eggs as in ova (plural of ovum).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Here is a sneak peek of what the hyrids could look like*:eek:

*yeah its pretty bad, I'm sleepy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Nice work there Ruu...

@Feral Mutant (why are you disputing the matter anyway, you're already one o' them filthy cross breeds...:rolleyes:)

You missed the sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

My prediction:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I was just learning about this today. I was thinking that it will be interesting when they got to test on humans. When I first saw this I thought it said they have[/url] been given permission to do it. Bit of a let down really. Hope they get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Silverfish wrote:
    Wtf?

Cows don't lay eggs.

Not YET, but soon SCIENCE!* shall give Mother Nature another kick in the teeth.

*Not regular science, where you don't cackle and make things explode with lasers. I'm talking about SCIENCE!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

The wife being called an old cow could take on a whole new meaning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

^ and the flood gates open!

I'm sure I heard a mate saying his cow of a wife had given birth to his child the other day.

Don't know how many of cases where men mate with cows have been successful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I wonder if it will taste like cow or baby.

Probably tastes like chicken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Why call it a "Cow Baby", why not "Baby Cow"? :D

Science has gone mad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Pictures? They already have pictures. Just buy one of the foolish rags found at the check out stands. You know, the ones that also have invaders from Mars and Elvis sightings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Don't get your hopes up;
    BBC News wrote:
    The hybrid human-bovine embryos would be used for stem cell research and would not be allowed to develop for more than a few days.

Unfortunate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Ah yes, cowbaby. The body of a cow but with the mind of a baby.

Ah beaten to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Whoah... so we could end up with a real life version of "Isolation"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Personnally i think it would be fantastic, if they let them make them now, they might let them develop in the future and if they do that, it would allow for all sorts of fusing of sexy people DNA with sexy animal DNA. One step closer to Cat Woman in my book.

Besides, the whole possiblility of a cowbaby being allowed to grow into a cowteenager and ending up lactose intolerant is far too delicious to be denied. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Dragan wrote:
    it would allow for all sorts of fusing of sexy people DNA with sexy animal DNA.

No thanks, I was thinking of animal/human fusion in a freakshow or supersoldier kind of way, not in a sexual context. That's just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

flogen wrote:
    No thanks, I was thinking of animal/human fusion in a freakshow or supersoldier kind of way, not in a sexual context. That's just wrong.

Oh come on, a chick with a tail???

I'd hit it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Pictures? They already have pictures. Just buy one of the foolish rags found at the check out stands. You know, the ones that also have invaders from Mars and Elvis sightings?

Ah yes, the Weekly World News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Dragan wrote:
    Oh come on, a chick with a tail???

I'd hit it! :D

/me shoots furry in the face

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Here's the lastest freaky pic :eek:
    http://195.20.14.200/0/30/19/83/maria-carey.jpg

Advertisement