Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sat Nav system

Options
  • 06-11-2006 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good quality GPS system which covers Ireland, UK and as much of Europe as possible (the standard France, Italy, Germany, Spain would bne most important)

Does anyone have any recommendations for good systems or (more importantly!) really rubbish ones? I'm fairly swamped with the huge variety out there and was hoping to get some first hand advice.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Dilly

No takers? Is there another, more appropriate forum I should post in? Not sure where it would qualify for!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

See this discussion in the Consumer forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054986177
    The Airis unit from Pixmania looks to be really excellent, has the latest Route66 UK & Ireland maps and is fantastic value.

You can add POI like garages and speed cameras, the software has the lastest maps available with Kinnegad/Enfield M4 Bypass and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Dilly

Thanks for that Ongarite - I'll have a look at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Any unit with the Navteq maps will be good for ireland as they gave it 100% mapped now. Tele Atlas have only 45% although reported they would have 100% by end of 2006. TomTom have switched recently I think.

For Germany, Italy (northern is mapped much better, with TMC, etc., in the right units), then Tele Atlas tends to be better OR SO I'VE READ!

Becker use Navteq, and make very good, if pricy, units. You can get them with navigation, blutooth from Germany for quite a bit less than here or UK.

http://www.katronics.de/index.php?Kat=25&oberkat=4&Tiefe=1&show=1#_details

Very good prices indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've an Airis T920 with Route 66 software, and it's quite good. has an MP3 player as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I have a Garmin 310 (UKand Ireland )( Got it in Harvey Norman approx 400 euro) - they have other dearer ones which cover europe. Or you can upgrade 310 for 100+ euro wiht SD card for europe. As far as I know garmin are hte brand in a lot of aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I have a Garmin 310 that I'm thinking of selling, Approx 6 months old, still have box & all accessories, if you're interested, drop me a pm

Advertisement