Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Systematic desensitization for Agoraphobia

Options
  • 05-11-2006 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of anywhere that offers this form of Cognitive Behavioural Theraphy as my sister has developed agoraphobia and is getting more and more reluctant to go out unaccompanied.
    ("Systematic desensitization" is where people are brought along to situations that may bring on panic attacks in the company of a therapist).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Get her gp to make her a referal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Thaedydal wrote:
    Get her gp to make her a referal.

I've spoken to the family GP and he has no info on this.
    He referred her to the local Health Board clinic, but given the waiting lists to see a general therapist publically (3 months plus and no guarantee that they will do exposure desensitization as opposed to visualized desensitization). I was wondering if anyone knew of someone private who it might be quicker to see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Call a local university psychology department and talk with faculty. But I would stay away from therapists who use Glasser's Reality Therapy approaches to systematic desensitization! Their approach is not gradual but rather shocking.

Advertisement