Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a muddle

Options
  • 05-11-2006 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So the story goes,

Recently started proceedings to sell our house,we got sale agreed and went after the house we wanted and got it(YAY).But our buyers pulled out so we ended up losing the house we wanted.

We then got another buyer for our house but at a lesser price than what was first got. We at this point couldnt find the house we wanted as we kept comparing it to the one we lost.

We then said to our EA that we weren't going to sell as we couldnt find a house we wanted.He talked us out of it saying " Wait till october,because people do put houses up for sale coming up to christmas". So we went on searching,we eventually found a house and started to send out contracts. We then found out that the EA who was selling plus the Vendor were lying to us about closing dates and it would be in the newyear(We hoped to get in before christmas).

So at this stage we were not going to sell again only to be told that our buyers had signed contracts with their sellers and they were getting out of their house sometime soon.Our buyers had signed our contracts but we hadnt signed a thing.

We then felt terrible that if we pulled out that they wouldnt have a house(but they wanted to get out of where they were because it was a bad area anyway) So things have snowballed at this stage,the buyer of my house rang me and asked what was situation and I told him it would be newyear till other house was sorted,he then said were could he put his stuff as storage was expensive. We felt sort of guilty so we told him we could store some of it in ours(Big mistake).

Now it seems the house we want the vendor is holding off on getting compliance certs and other stuff we think he should get.I reckon he is waiting to see what happens in budget.

So now we feel is it best move to sell house.We havent signed any contracts yet but feel terrible if we did pull out. Now my daughter cries saying she doesnt want to move either. I really dont know were to turn to or what to do now. If we werent told lies about other house we wouldnt of got solicitor to send out contracts in first place.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It's very simple.
    This is the biggest financial deal you will make. If you are not 100% happy with how it's going and you feel you should pull out, then do so.
    You can only think of yourself during a time like this. Yes, it's a sh!tty thing to happen to the people buying off you, but this is a lot of money and there's not much you can do. Buying and selling a house is one of the top 3 most stressful things you will do in your life time.
    I don't understand how you are in contact with the people buying, that's odd and unusual and never a good idea in fairness.
    Rule number one: Estate Agents = scum of the earth, never, ever trust one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I think you have to stop thinking about the situation of the other family & concentrate on your own. Yes its hard & youll feel like an awful b***h but getting emotionally involved with your buyers can only lead to problems. Just because youre a nice person doesnt mean they are & they could end up taking advantage somehow & its YOU that will end up with no home at christmas.

Seriously, if there was ever a time to be selfish, this would be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The reason how we came into contact with buyers was by fluke really.We got a letter addressed to the buyers one day in our post by accident.I left it on table to re-post and a mate of mine came up to house and said that was his brothers address.

So when things were going pear shaped and buyer wasnt getting answers from EA,he asked my mate for my phone number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

'Never get involved personally with the people you are buying/selling to/from\r\nthis always gets messy.\r\nThis is a business deal, one which shapes your life and that of your family for maybe 10 years to the rest of all your lives.\r\nDo what is right for your family.\r\n\r\nPeople need to be more savy when buying a house and know eactly where they stand and not be fobbed of by estate agents and solicotrs who assume\r\njust because they know the rules and how things work everyong else dones.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Beruthiel wrote:
    It's very simple.
    This is the biggest financial deal you will make. If you are not 100% happy with how it's going and you feel you should pull out, then do so.
    You can only think of yourself during a time like this.

Rule number one: Estate Agents = scum of the earth, never, ever trust one.

Agreed 100% totally, this would also be my advice to you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

what2do, first of all DONT PANIC! you arent the first in this situation and wont be the last.

If you havent found the home you want, then dont sell. House sales fall through all the time and you havent signed any contracts therefore your purchaser knows exactly the risks involved.

The market at the moment is wobbly but not crashin of anything of the sort. Alot of people seem to be holding off making decisions until after the budget which isnt helping as its causing a short term uncertainity.

I say stay put, wait till you find that home you want.

'Thanks all for the advice. It helps to know your thoughts. I know I must look after my family and I will,if it comes to the crunch Ill make that call to my buyers.\r\n\r\nWe have sale agreed with the other house but as I said we feel they will act the fool if the stamp duty goes or the government ammends it in some way.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

what2do wrote:
    if it comes to the crunch Ill make that call to my buyers.

That's the estate agents job to tell them, as someone said before try to have as little personal contactr with your buyers as it just adds guilt to any decision you have to make.
    what2do wrote:
    We have sale agreed with the other house but as I said we feel they will act the fool if the stamp duty goes or the government ammends it in some way.
    Perhaps try giving an ultimatum to the seller than unless the get back to you within 1 week giving you a firm closing date you offer is withdrawn!

'I hear what your saying Santa claus,we both have same estate agent.Plus I let them put some of their stuff in my house already.So not meeting them is probably not on the cards if they have to come and get their stuff...\r\n\r\nAs usual in hindsight if I\'d of known then what I know now I would never have go this far.'

'
    Perhaps try giving an ultimatum to the seller than unless the get back to you within 1 week giving you a firm closing date you offer is withdrawn!
    \r\n\r\nWe have also done this plus the house needs some work done on it that we didnt expect,it showed up on surveyors report.I said we wanted money off to do the works in house.\r\n\r\nThe estate agent got back onto me saying its a no no,he wont budge on price. This fella who owns the house is a business man and has it let. I reckon he will just sit on it till someone does offer what we offered.\r\n\r\nBut you are right in the ultimatum,we cant just sit and wait on them.Things have to move forward for both our sakes. I\'m at breaking point at this stage.'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

what2do wrote:
    'Thanks all for the advice. It helps to know your thoughts. I know I must look after my family and I will,if it comes to the crunch Ill make that call to my buyers.\r\n\r\nWe have sale agreed with the other house but as I said we feel they will act the fool if the stamp duty goes or the government ammends it in some way.'

best of luck, and dont forget to let us know how it goes.

First of get thier belongings out of your house.
    This can put you in all sorts of legal hassle.
    Talk to your solictor about what can be done to expedite things along, that is if you want to move; if you don't then trust me the sooner the better for those that wanted to buy.
    I have been on the recieving end of being messed about by someone who never "got around" to signing the contracts even when we had, delayed the closing date twice and a week after we had to move out of the house we had been renting and into my mothers which was a stop gap which was ment to be for 2 weeks said they were not selling in the end.

Make your mind up and do what you want about your house for the best for your family.

what2do wrote:
    Plus I let them put some of their stuff in my house already.So not meeting them is probably not on the cards if they have to come and get their stuff

If you decide to defo pull out - tell the estate agent to inform them, give a friend the keys to your house and let him hand over their stuff and a convenient time to everyone. You need never see this person again.
    Don't put this on the long finger, the longer you leave it, the more difficult for everyone. Take no crap from the estate agent, you are nothing more to him than the money he can make out of you. Never forget that.

Honestly if you are using the estate agents I would leave all thier stuff at the estate agents office for them to pick up.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Honestly if you are using the estate agents I would leave all thier stuff at the estate agents office for them to pick up.

An even better idea! :)

Advertisement