Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late...?

Options
  • 04-11-2006 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going unreg for this as a few people I know use boards, but I'm a fairly regular poster so could really do with some advice.

Been with my boyf for a while, and although we haven't had sex yet we have messed around a fair bit doing other stuff - oral etc. Thing is we've tried to be careful but there have been times that he has touched me after touching himself...

And now I'm a few days late. Only 2 or 3 but enough that I'm starting to get really freaked out. I was on the pill last year but came off it around 10 months ago, and only in the last 2/3 months has my cycle gone back to normal and been regular.

I know it could be delayed by stress etc but it was only this morning that I copped it so I don't think it was that. Nothing else major going on in my life at the minute that would cause it either.

So firstly, is it possible to get pregnant that way?? What are the chances? Secondly... what the hell am I going to do if I am :( We're both in college doing our respective degrees, I'm doing a really difficult course, and my parents have such huge expectations of me, I've never really been the type to cause trouble.

As well as that, I can't see my boyf being willing to believe I haven't been off doing stuff behind his back

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So you came off the pill, what other contraception where you using ?

If you are even 1 day late you can get a test and find out and then see what you want to do about it.

www.positiveoptions.ie

Yes it is possible to transfer semen in such a fashion and all it takes is on to find the egg.

Get a test put yourself out of your misery or book a test and talk with some one that can help you get your head together and what you can do and what you want to do about it if it is positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No contraception, we'd both been tested recently and were clean. Sex was off the cards for me for a while due to things I've had going on recently and he'd been really supportive of that.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

'His \"touching\" you after touching himself could indeed cause pregnancy. Just how likely this is depends on just what you mean by \"touching\" and how much semen was transfered. Depending on this the range is anywhere between nigh on impossible through to pretty likely (hey, a turkey baster, a gay man and a non-spermicidal condom is still the cheapest way to get pregnant without having sex, and that\'s essentially within the range of \"touching\" the woman after \"touching\" the man).\r\n\r\nAt the same time, if your cycle has only just settled it is relatively likely that it\'s a bit out of synch.\r\n\r\nIn all your risks are high enough that its worth doing a test and low enough that its not worth worrying about the next step until that test comes back positive.'

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

So firstly, is it possible to get pregnant that way??

Quite possible. I've been told by my mother that I'm living proof of it happening.

Get a pregnancy test. As Thaed said, here are ones which can tell from the first day of a missed period, First Response is one. You can decide what to do after you find out if you are pregnant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Annie Bananie

Ehm.. Im not Irish, but maybe Irish sperm are like supermen or some..
    I can not see how this cold make you pregnant (unless he was very fast, having them in his hand and putting them far into you).
    Correct me if Im wrong, but sperms do need warmth to survive.

Maybe this could get you pregnant, but it seems very unlikely to me.
    I've never heard of any that gotten it this way (except iguana's mother then :) )
    For your sake, Im hoping Im right in this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

You are not pregnant, but get a pregnancy test to confirm this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sperm can live in a woman's body for up to six days — possibly seven. And, as long as the semen is still wet, the sperm can survive outside the body. If the semen has dried, been wiped off, or washed off, there are no longer any living sperm.

The rule of thumb most health educators use is to avoid contact with semen and other bodily fluids while they are wet.

This means not allow the fluid to come into direct contact with your skin. In addition, there is sperm in pre-ejaculate fluid which also could be an issue even if he didn't ejaculate inside you

Sperm can easily be alive in fuild on some ones hand for or else where on the body at body tempature for several hours.

While it may be unlikely that you are pregnant it may still be a possiblity,
    get a test and find out and if you are look into what your options are for you in your life

www.positiveoptions.ie

and if you are not the look into what contraception options are for you in your life.

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/index.html
    www.thinkcontraception.ie.

So anyway, to respond to the people that think that sperm die when it reaches air...that is false...if that were true there would be no sperm banks because the semen touches the air and then it's used to get people pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Annie Bananie

Thaedydal wrote:
    So anyway, to respond to the people that think that sperm die when it reaches air...that is false...if that were true there would be no sperm banks because the semen touches the air and then it's used to get people pregnant.

True, I admit I was wrong about that :)

Still don't think it's very likely to get pregnant that way, even if it obviously can happen.
    But as the others said, take a test and then you don't have to wonder anymore.

Advertisement