Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Horror Films

Options
  • 04-11-2006 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

Watched dead meat last night and thought it was hilarious - what other Irish horror films are around - Filmed in Ireland is probably also accepatable.

All I can think of is -
    • Rawhead Rex
    • Dead Meat
    • Isolation

Anything else to add ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Hee hee Rawhead Rex has to be one of the worst films ever made - so bad it's not funny and shows Clive Barker up for the over-rated hack that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAzJ5XEmcUk

Was released in July.. premiered in Toronto... havent seen it yet but meant to be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dead meat was fairly enjoyable.

Don't forget Boy eats Girl. Was kinda dumb but I have to admit I enjoyed it alot.

Have never seen Rawhead Rex...

In my Opinion.... the filmboard should have shot the producers of Dead Meat. They had gotten a grant of €100,000 euro for the feature. Although they did a good job.... it could have been done a lot better. One of Irelands only contributions into the Zombie sub-genre... and a €100,000 budget after all pre-production is done....... i dunno. I know I and alot of other film-making friends (and not trying to sound Big headed or better then Conor McMahon and his crew) could have done a better job.

For a Zombie movie to suceed, good plot, script, make-up and effects and good actors and great camera and editing) out of this, Dead Meat go about three.

I awaited it with great expectation to see it, loved it when i Heard Fangoria had picked it up to distribute it stateside......but i was left somewhat disapponted, it was as if they went to Amsterdam for a month and when they came back with whatever cash was left, they made a zombie move.

But thats just in my opinion though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Isnt there a new Irish horror comin out soon? Shrooms I beleive its called where some campers take some magic mushrooms and start hallucinating. I must hunt down these other irish horrors though. Heard of 'isolation' and 'Boy eats Girl' but not the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Definately agree about Dead Meat, it was entertaining but it could have been alot more. The humour, as well, in many cases wouldn't exactly appeal if you weren't Irish...

Some good scenes though. Been awhile since I saw it but the hoover in the eyeball was a good one. :D

And as for Shrooms....what can one say, apart from that sounds absolutely awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Irish Gothic

Hi there,

On the subject of Irish Horror Films (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) I'd like to point you all in the direction of a new free on-line journal The Irish Journal of Gothic and Horror Studies, launched on Halloween 2006 and found at http://irishgothichorrorjournal.homestead.com/ In particular you may be interested in an article Kim Newman has written on Irish Horror Film (including dubious gems such as The Leprechaun and Dementia 13).

Our editorial board includes Prof Sir Christopher Frayling, Dr Jarlath Killeen, Prof Mark Jancovich, Dr David Glover and Dr Darryl Jones. As the only journal of this kind in Ireland, we will be paying particular attention to Irish texts and themes in our first issue (and succeeding editions) but we will by no means be confined to local subjects. Literature, film, television, video games and comic books from all over the world will also be discussed. We aim to combine academic credibility and critical excellence with genuine enthusiasm for the subjects we will be featuring in the journal.

As well as Kim Newman, contributors to our first issue include Darryl Jones (TCD), author of Horror: A Thematic History, and David J. Skal, author of The Monster Show, and Hollywood Gothic, who will be contributing a book review; frequent Sight and Sound contributor John Exshaw also contributes an article on the director Jess Franco, while Jarlath Killeen (TCD) writes on the Irish Gothic. We also have reviews on a wide range of Gothic and horror themed subjects in our New Media, Film, Television and Literature review sections.

Please free free to visit us and give us your feedback.

HavoK wrote:

Some good scenes though. Been awhile since I saw it but the hoover in the eyeball was a good one. :D

Hoover.. ...cant remember...... just shows how ( for me anyway) how memorable it was.. and i remember most things in zombie movies.......... each way Anna Falchi died in Cemetery Man....... mmm. Anna Falchi... sorry got a bit sidetracked . there..... mmm..Anna......... crap ... it happened again
    Anna-Falchi-9.JPG

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Good Idea for a topic C-13, something I had been thinking about all right. Was wondering what irish movies where out there and Boy eats girl was the only one I knew of, and havent seen it yet either. must look these up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

If you havent seen it yet spooky donkey i'd put Dead meat high on your list, bloody hilarious film.

To whoever said Leprechaun - Is it really an "Irish" film, fair enough its an Irish character but only the first 5 mins of the first and second films are actually set in Ireland. Other than that theres only references. Still a class series of films though.

• Advertisement

Hey lads.... a few friends and I heard Robbie Williams was having a film comp... so we decided to do a ****ty cheeezzzy.. no plot, no budget, no script throwback to the 80's horror short... its got no point but its meant to be visually stimulating ???? apparently..... check it out and rate it........ 4+ would be cool...... **** this film comp up!

http://www.shootingpeople.org/robbiewilliams/view_video.php?film_id=426#

Advertisement