Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulholland Drive.

Options
  • 04-11-2006 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I've always wanted to know how others viewed the film "Mulholland Drive".
    Did you enjoy it?
    Did you understand it?
    And generally, what did you think about it?
    For me it was one of those films that really affected me. First time I saw it I was lost, and that's what got me so interested in it. I went over it again, I showed my friends and I got a whole group of people obsessed with figuring it out and trying to put a point to this thing that was keeping them awake all night.
    Was there an actual point?Was it supposed to make sense? Was the main point of this to bring myself and all of my friends closer and to think about something that wasn't so simple as the hollywood crap.

So please, discuss.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the most bizarre films I have ever seen. Watched when I was about two years ago and havent since, but just remember it being one of the strangest experiences I have em... experienced.
    Apparantly there is a point (as is the case with most Lynch films) but is so obscure it would be recommended to read academic papers on it.
    One of those films I dont really want explained, and just want it to act as the odd, confusing, unique spectacle that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Really effected me too, nearly put me off films for good. If there was a point fair enough, but i certainly didn't get it and thought it was just a pure head**** film. It's probably only a film for Lynch fans, thought it was utter rubbish myself. If Lynch made it for everyone to interpret individually then thats just bull**** filmmaking, there's either a point he wants to put over or theres not, and if there is then fair enough, i didn't get it but fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I could never fathom out this film - it just seemed to be very difficult to follow. The scene when the 2 women go to the play in the middle of the night was extremely bizarre, IMO. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Love that scene now that you say it, brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,045 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Love that scene now that you say it, brilliant.
    Possibly my favourite scene of all time, loved it.

Loved Mulholland Drive, my favourite movie by a long shot.

I think i understand it, but as the meaning of the movie has never been given i can't be sure. The only bit i know i did't get was the scene in Wendies (was it a wendies...?) when the two fellas go out back and one is scared by the freaking hobo thing behind the dumpster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Its a mistake to try to 'understand' this film . like some other D Lynch. There is no explanation or substance behind the wierdness and non-sequitors. You either just like the style or you dont. His stuff is a bit like opera - nonsensical plots which crumble under the slightest scrutiny or effort to look for logic - but allows some striking and fascinating scenes to be enjoyed within thier limited boundaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

watch it back, most of the film is a dream sequence and when it all gets mixed up is when she (Naomi Watts) actually wakes up. I tried to follow this the first time i watched it and thought it all made sense until everything turns on its head but if you watch it back knowing that its all a dream until she wakes up (if i remember she is actually told to wake up a number of times) it will make more sense...great film, Lynch is a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Probably my favourite film of all time! I must now look at it again.

Even though the scenes aren't in any sort of chronological order, there is a logical time line that can be followed giving the film a coherent plot. However the majority of the film is set within a dream, so logic goes out the window during this part of the film and symbolism takes it place.

Immense film!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I adore this movie! It takes the dream movie to whole new heights. There is no border between what is real, fantasy or a mixture of the two, its like waking up after a really vivid dream and not knowing what happened was real or not just as the memories and details slip out of grasp. I think Lynch really got it right with this movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Got around to finally watching this,

I have to say i think its an awful movie,

Yes the concept is great but i just don't think it was executed well For me its a terrible movie ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

yourdeadwrong!

Do elaborate , what did you find so good about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Masterpiece

Voted as the best film since the turn of the century by a poll of top movie critics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I thought it was a masterpiece of storytelling.

I saw it in the cinema when it came out. I came home spitting nails because it seemed impenetrable. The movie must have gnawed at me. A year or so later, I saw it on video or DVD again, and it just clicked - the movie's story is quite simple, once unravelled, but at the same time, it's a powerful love story and psychological horror.

The music and mood are phenomenal. I could watch it any day of the week, it would be a desert island film for me.

I think its a good idea poorly executed,

Each to there own i guess that is the beauty of film

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Advertisement