Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly the most embarassing thing ever

Options
  • 03-11-2006 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

I play guitar...well i used to. I started nearly 5 years ago but I wouldn't say I've been playing that long. (well thats my excuse for being so crap :) ) I haven't played properly for about a year now. And even back then I would only pick it up every once in a while.

Anyway, I still don't know how to change the strings on my guitar! It's so embarrassing! I just tried there and I can get as far as putting the new string in the bridge but when I get it to the headstock I haven't a clue what to do! I asked my brother and he got confused too cos he used to be able to do it but he's kinda busy and can't help me. I've been on a couple of websites but they just made it worse. The problem seems to be that the string won't wind. I feed it through the hole but when I turn the tuner it just won't wrap. The other strings look so neatly done (the ones that need changing) and I don't know how they got wrapped so tightly because the 6th string that I'm trying to wind won't stay in place at all.

Can anyone help me or will I have to get someone who knows how to string a guitar to show me? All my friends who play guitar would laugh at me because, after 5 years I should know how to bleedin change the strings. Usually I'd get my mam to go down to the local shop and buy strings and she'd hand it in and come back in five mins and they dhave it stringed for us. But now I actually have bought strings so I can't exactly bring it in to the shop and ask them to show me how it's done can I?

Really long and unecessary thread, I know. Sorry. But nobody has taught me how to do it :( Is there any websites which explain it CLEARLY?

Cheers if you read all this whining! So embarassing...:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Hopefully my MSPaint skills are still up to scratch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

This site makes it pretty clear. A peg winder (costs a few € at any music shop) is also a good help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Sounds like you're not pulling the string through the peg tight enough, hence when winding there's too much excess string and it's just going all over the place.

Pull it tighter and hold it, then start winding and voila.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Thanks for the tips hopefully it will wind properly....
    This site makes it pretty clear. A peg winder (costs a few € at any music shop) is also a good help.

In this one it says to wind it under itself but...

steveland? wrote:
    Hopefully my MSPaint skills are still up to scratch :)

here it says bring it over itself.

If you get me...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

You bring it over itself back under itself if that makes sense, have it winding under the machine head string hole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

you shouldn't have to wind it much at all, the 6th string doesn't need much tightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

LundiMardi wrote:
    you shouldn't have to wind it much at all, the 6th string doesn't need much tightening.

But aim for 5-6 wraps on the high E and B strings. Less slippage then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Thanks for the tips hopefully it will wind properly....

In this one it says to wind it under itself but...

here it says bring it over itself.

If you get me...:confused:
    Thread it through the hole in the capstan (the bit poking out of the head) and then wrap it around the sticky up bit.

The video explains well:
    http://hobbies.expertvillage.com/videos/changing-guitar-strings.htm

Advertisement