Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damien Rice new album '9' full preview legal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

it's not that good?!? It's frickin brilliant! Pity my copy I got today was scratched, I'll have to bring it back tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

are you serious ?? I've been listening to it for the past few days and I have to say I'd give it only 6/10... dogs/9 crimes are good the rest imo are not that good ... tis a damn shame...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I picked it up this evening but haven't played it yet.

Just on the last song now. It's a good album, not as strong as O though. The songs that I've heard live are clicking with me more as they're more familiar to me. This will need a few spins before a proper opinion can be formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I'm lovin' it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭/Andy\

Haven't listened to it yet and I'm kind of afraid to! I loved O, and want to like the new album, but I read a review which accused Rice of trying to indulge himself vocally Jeff Buckley style. As Buckley was one of a kind and possibly my favourite vocallist of all time, I shudder to imagine the consequences of Rice trying (and no doubt failing), to emulate him! You guys that have listened to the record, please tell me that the review isn't true?

There's a couple of melodies that are a bit Buckleyish but he's always been a bit Buckleyish. I say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Have only given it a couple of listens but am disappointed with it so far. Hopefully it's a grower. Couple of great songs but seems to be a lot of filler.

Early impressions - not as good as O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

I think its too soon to compare it to O but on first impression I'm really loving it. They really nailed Elephant, it sends chills down my spine.

I take it everybody found the hidden track (not the 15 minute drone after Sleep Don't Weep ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

It sounds really good, still only on first listen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

What Damien Rice has done in this album is taken the music from his old album and sung new lyrics over it. So disappointing from someone who has so much talent. All he has done is resold me an album I already bought 5 years ago. Listening to it I can hear exact copies of Volcano, The professor and Cold water. This is on top of the fact that the one of the only original songs on the album (rootless tree) has been available on the internet for years. Think it came from his Juniper days :mad:

Which is the exact copy of Volcano?

And Me, my yoke, and I sounds completely different to anything on O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Damien Rice.... Yawn....

Nice to see people are waking up to his bore-tastic re-hashed music. Some of the songs from 'O' were good... But a whole 2 albums of him is just enough to make me want to run and take a long jump from a short bridge... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

iFight wrote:
    Which is the exact copy of Volcano?

And Me, my yoke, and I sounds completely different to anything on O

It is "Me my yoke, and I" that sound exactly like volcano. Its the same chords and the same strumming patter.

Sleep don't weep is the same as cold water.
    etc. etc. etc

duckmusic wrote:
    It is "Me my yoke, and I" that sound exactly like volcano. Its the same chords and the same strumming patter.

Doesn't sound anything like it to me.

Just listened to Volcano, my bad, sounds a bit like it ;)

Still, I like 'Me, My Yoke, and I'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

So disappointed. Where's the progression?

Been there, sung that. Come on bejaysus - something a bit different to the last album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I don't know what all the fuss is about this bloke he's one of the most over-rated Irish artists there is the scruffy little out-of-tune boll1x.
    Boring!

I don't think Me My Yoke and I sounds like Volcano...

Plus everyone who says this is just like O...listen to the lyrics, it is so far from O...his lyrics are much more mature, it's a much deeper album.

I'm impressed with this album. The Animals Were Gone is such a great song. He did Accidental Babies really well too.

I think the only mistake was putting Me My Yoke and I on the album, he wrote it when he was 15 or 16 so it doesn't really fit.

I can hear the similarities between this and O and I must admit that "Me, My Yoke and I" sounds an awful lot like "Volcano" (and so do a lot of people as whenever Rice plays this live the crowd gets excited and then confused). However I do think it's a good album and I do think the songs can stand on their own.

I suppose it's kinda like it but I've never been confused between it and Volcano at a gig...it's so obvious when he starts Volcano, he distorts the guitar and then vyvienne comes in on the cello...that doesn't happen with Me My Yoke and I as far as I remember

• Advertisement

Yeah but the amount of times I've seen "Volcano" played differently and the fact that "Me, My Yoke and I" sounds so similar makes confusing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

John wrote:
    There's a couple of melodies that are a bit Buckleyish but he's always been a bit Buckleyish. I say go for it.

Which bits? Must have a listen... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

there was only one song on it that i didnt know, that was sleep dont weep, i thought after all this time it would be alot better, its not bad though, he should have made it more rock like he said he was gonna do, its along the same lines as O, he should made it darker etc..

not bad though, im pissed i bought it though, coz elephant and dogs are just renamed from blowers daughter part 2 and the girl that does yoga!

the lyrics are darker I think...

he said in an interview that he wanted to make a rock album but this was what came out when he started to write

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

cartman wrote:
    not bad though, im pissed i bought it though, coz elephant and dogs are just renamed from blowers daughter part 2 and the girl that does yoga!

Well in fairness it was never called Girl That Does Yoga, that just seemed like the most logical title when the mp3s were circulating :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I think the album is alright,

when me my yoke and i kics in it reminds me of the Redneck Manifesto's Dillon family dancers tune when that kicks in.. exactly the same they are if ya ask me, but what would i know...do-dooo-do-doooo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭idlesupernova

It's clicked with me after first listen, I was never keen on O but I had a spare few quid bought this and just have it on constantly, I Belive him when he's singing, some singer-songwriters, I just dont believe them when they sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Have to say I don't get the hype. I watched him on Jules Holland the other night. It was an ok performance, but I wouldn't say I dislike his music it just does nothing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I loved O, and there are certainly some great moments on this album ('9 Crimes', 'The Rat Within the Grain') but overall I'd have to call this a distinctly average affair. Both Damien and Lisa both have incredible voices, very emotive and tender, but there isn't all that much more to Damien Rice than that. 9, at times, displays a startlingly lack of innovation or originality.

'Elephant', 'Dogs', 'Grey Room' - nice tracks, no doubt, but we've heard their kind before, and from the same person. 'Rootless Trees' is embarrassingly generic, its immature refrain is almost cringeworthy - that it will probably make for a successful single is an indictment of something, be it Damien himself or the consuming public. When he does attempt something a little different à la 'Me, My Yoke, And I', it's a poor effort. Added to the mix are 9's lyrics, which appropriately lie somewhere between the mediocre and the clichéd ('You can wait for ages / And watch your compost turn to coal / But time is contagious: Everybody's getting old').

It's not a bad album, if you like all of O, you'll like most of 9. For anyone who likes unfair comparisons, I'd say most of 9 is on a par with the lesser songs on O, which isn't bad at all. The real disappointment is how little such a promising artist has progressed. It's far too easy to conclude like this, but he wrote his own review in the album's finale, 'Go play with your piano / Write a mediocre song / Out this shell of mediocrity / And pretend there's nothing wrong'.

• Advertisement

Rat Within the Grain is the B-side to 9 Crimes, it isn't actually on the album.

Advertisement