Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lottery syndicate

Options
  • 03-11-2006 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

This board appears to be frequented by people who like to gamble but not just give their money away so I can't think of anywhere better on boards to post this question and haven't found the topic discussed previously(I searched).
    I'm in a lottery syndicate. We have over 35 members. We use the same numbers week after week and don't weight for numbers over 31.
    I figure that with that many members we should be getting a fair few small wins every week but we are not.
    Can anyone recommend software which improves our chances so that our stake goes as far as possible each week to maximise our chances of winning the jackpot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It's a game of chance so can't imagine there could be any rational system of winning. I organise a syndicate in work for the Euromillions and reckon we must have put a grand on to date, our prize fund currently stands at €153, not the greatest return but still we only put in two quid a head every week and we should have enough for a decent lunch at Chrimbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

May be a game of chance but current method is based on using peoples chosen numbers which would mostly be below 31. With a methodology that weights for higher numbers the chances of winning may be the same but the payout per win should be higher and working of frequency of numbers appearing in previous draws the hit rate of wins may be higher but I've never seen actual worked proof that this actually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭green123

the only advice serious gamblers will give you about the lotto is dont play it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Have to agree that it's just pure luck and their is no system to it or else it wouldn't be called a lottery. Although if you are interested read up on the syndicate in the UK that won recently. Was a group of professors and students who came up with a system that they claim increased their chances, but I would still put this down to luck!

Edit: Couldn't find a decent link, but this describes it. Not sure how accurate the article is but sounds like a very basic system. I'd rather take a punt on the odds at the bottom of that article!
    http://www.anorak.co.uk/features.php?features_id=170794&feature=Poker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

As said above the winning numbers are random, but to increase your payout you pick numbers that others don't pick.

1,2,3,4,5,6 because "nobody would ever do these". I think about 10000 people do these in the UK every week.
    Also avoid 2,4,6,8, 10, 12. 3,6,9,12,15. 5,10,15,20,25,30.
    One week in the UK hundreds won the jackpot. The winning numbers were in a zig-zag pattern down the centre of the card.
    People avoid consecutive numbers.
    People use birthdays (as mentioned above), and housenumbers. Birthdays 1-30, and there are more number 1 houses than say 25 (some street are short).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Yous could of at least deleted my post aswell, makes look like a right tit.

Advertisement