Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Ironies

Options
  • 03-11-2006 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

I was watching a comedy show which I had not seen is years last night, The Royal Family. Cracking show by the way. Anyway since I have not seen it in about 5 years, everyone had grown that much older. What caught my eye was “Na-Na” and how old she was. It got me thinking about Life’s Irony’s and thinking about the following.

My daughter is 7 months old and get praised and lots of attention for doing the smallest of things. The exact same happens to the elderly if you think about it. My point is we start of as helpless babies and end up as helpless elderly people who get praised for doing something as simple as going to the bathroom. If that is not one of life’s biggest Ironies (you end up where you started in life) I don’t know what is?

What other Ironies would you like to mention and discuss?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Ashes to ashes.
    Dust to dust.

Needing a bib at dinner time
    And a nappy at bed time.

Full circle baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

"Every Rose has it's thorn. Just like every night has it's dawwwn. Just like ev'ry cowboy, sings a sad, sad song. Every rose has it's thorn".

think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

it's not really that ironic, spoons when u need a knife, now that's ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

spoons when u need a knife, now that's ironic.

Thats just awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

You know what I always found ironic? The word phonetically isn't spelled phonetically...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

That you always find what you are looking for in the last place that you look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

That's not ironic, that's just common sense, of course it's in the last place you look - because you finish looking for it once you've found it. Why would you look in another place once you'd found it? :D

Even if you find it in the first place you look, it's still the last place, isn't it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I was talking about a person in this case!

For me it is ironic that my life was suddenly becoming extremely happy when I get diagnosed with a serious illness...having said that, my illness is not stopping me from staying happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

a free ride when you've already paid.

Nothing in that song is ironic..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

fish-head wrote:

Which, in itself, is ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Rain on your wedding day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Sofaspud wrote:
    Which, in itself, is ironic.

Precisely the genius behind the song!

Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

How you don't miss something until it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Just as i arrived home with my viagara the wife leaves me for another woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

fish-head wrote:
    It really should have been called 'Murphy's Law'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's everytime I say 'I love you'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Kolodny wrote:
    It really should have been called 'Murphy's Law'.

'Isn't it Murphy's Law, dontcha think?'

Haha, doesn't quite scan. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

'a little bit too murphys law yea I really do think'

Its a catchy little number

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

my favourite kind of irony is the poetic justice kind. Like when you're playing a game of poker and the guy whos boasting he's going to wipe the floor with everyone there gets knocked out first on a stupid hand. I don't believe in Karma, but I believe good things happen to me when I don't expect them to... maybe its all about perspective?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 themire

In Italy the film "Lost in Translation" is called "Amore tradotto" which means "Love translated".
    So the original title is literally lost in translation.
    That's ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

This is ironic.

People who spend loads of money on a massive plasma television complete with home theatre system.

and are happy to watch a pirate DVD of a film RECORDED IN A F*CKING CINEMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    This is ironic.

People who spend loads of money on a massive plasma television complete with home theatre system.

and are happy to watch a pirate DVD of a film RECORDED IN A F*CKING CINEMA.

what? you mean Mystery science theater 3000 :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Bambi wrote:
    what? you mean Mystery science theater 3000 :confused:

No.

I mean a crappy pirate DVD of say, Walk The Line [insert any recent film], recorded in a cinema with a camcorder. That cost €2 from some dodgy dude. Usually it's the c*nts who know least about films that engage in this particularly irritating form of one-upmanship.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ironic - sounds like an ingredient in my multivitamins...

Being in school and you cant wait for you school days to finish. But when we all start workin we wish we could go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

im thinking people have a very misconstrued understanding of the word ironic. many of the things that people think are "ironic", including most in the Alanis Morissette song, are not ironic but merely coincidental, unfortunate or just plain unrelated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

faceman wrote:
    Being in school and you cant wait for you school days to finish. But when we all start workin we wish we could go back!

The only thing I miss about school is the holidays. I hated school it was awful. Constantly being told what to do. Being punished for forming an independant thought. Homework. Being bitched at for refusing to pray. And the kicker.......
    ......even at 17 you have to ask permission to use the toilet, yet might be told no because your teacher is in a bad mood!:mad:

I dread the thought of reincarnation if it means I have to go back to school, I would rather be eaten by worms, pooed out by worms and eaten by more worms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

iguana wrote:

I dread the thought of reincarnation if it means I have to go back to school, I would rather be eaten by worms, pooed out by worms and eaten by more worms.

See that ironic, you wouldnt eat dead worms! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Please...no more Alanis Morsette (or however the fup her name's spelt) lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

People that laugh openly in the cinema at some laboured piece of irony, fully exhibiting how much they get "irony".

Advertisement