Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz and Blues Piano Books

Options
  • 03-11-2006 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Im a fairly experianced keyboard player, been playing with rock, blues and soul bands for years but self taught for most of that time and want to brush up on theory and blues technique as well as starting to play jazz scales, chops and runs etc. Can anyone recommend a couple of good books of the above? Need to knuckle down and get into some jazz :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I play piano and keyboards - mainly rock and classical. Never really been into the jazz end of things - yet ;)

But this seems like a good place to start...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Mark Levine's jazz piano book is pretty damn comprehensive if you can get it. The most important thing is to just listen to lots of jazz piano though. Make sure not to get too caught up on the theory side of it and develop a good ear for the music. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Cool thanks!

Respect to the brasseye inspired name also! Its nice to have that part of the brain stimulated by Cake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Mark Levine's jazz piano book is pretty damn comprehensive if you can get it. The most important thing is to just listen to lots of jazz piano though. Make sure not to get too caught up on the theory side of it and develop a good ear for the music. Best of luck.

Levine's book is solid, best i've come across (not that i've really looked for any more since i've got it). don't listen too shatner though, he couldn't tell me before whether he was playing a major or a minor seventh :p

although he is right on the ear part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

hey i know my sevenths damn it! :p
    Oh and for jazz pianists to listen to i recommend the following players
    Keith Jarrett
    Herbie Hancock
    Bill Evans
    Oscar Peterson
    McCoy Tyner
    and eh... many more!

and kudos for seeing the Chris Morris reference. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i love a bit of Art Tatum myself.

Advertisement