Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rampant Consumerism

Options
  • 02-11-2006 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

My lasting memories of Christmas in Dublin are not of cosy evenings sitting around a log fire eating Christmas pud but of throngs of people on Henry Street in the lead up to Christmas pushing and shoving each other, pubs full of drunks, shops full of useless chazarai and rude shop assistants.

Is it still as mindless or are most people over the whole thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"Mindless" tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

dSTAR wrote:
    My lasting memories of Christmas in Dublin are not of cosy evenings sitting around a log fire eating Christmas pud but of throngs of people on Henry Street in the lead up to Christmas pushing and shoving each other, pubs full of drunks, shops full of useless chazarai and rude shop assistants.

you get rude shop assistants all year round imo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

...throngs of people on Henry Street in the lead up to Christmas pushing and shoving each other, pubs full of drunks, shops full of useless chazarai and rude shop assistants.
    Aye. We're over the whole Christmas thing - it's now an all-year-round thing.

It's not like in my day! In my day, Jebus wasn't even born!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

dSTAR wrote:

If you had moany cnuts coming up to you all day then you would be the same. It wouldn't be Christmas without the whole lot, running into people with your trolley, screaming kids, etc. Lav' it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

It starts earlier every year too. Do the main shopping for presents in November, then save all your cash for the sales, that's what I'll do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I generally think of it as a chance to take a week off work, relax, meet up with some relatives and friends. I'll probably be visiting some relatives I rarely see this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Bateman wrote:
    It starts earlier every year too.

Yep - Christmas stuff in loads of shops this year well before Halloween was even over. Eventually Christmas will officially start before Easter.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

<-- is sick of spending Christmas on the wrong side of the counter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

<-- is sick of spending Christmas on the wrong side of the counter :(
    Are you that shop assistant that abused me in 1996?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Karoma wrote:
    Aye. We're over the whole Christmas thing - it's now an all-year-round thing.....

Thats it exactly. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

dSTAR wrote:
    Are you that shop assistant that abused me in 1996?
    By Jove! I fail to see how it could be anyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It feels worse when you are the one selling it.

Work for Starbucks, literally the 1st of November came in and everything had been changed to the christmas design had to put on a christmas top and go out and give samples of our *christmas drinks*.

It just feels soooo, blah. Cant describe it, it just doesnt feel like christmas when your using it to sell stuff. And to make matters worse they've turned the store next door to us into one of those christmas shops. Now when I was a kid I remember one of them appearing in my hometown, but it was essentially a toy store...not this one, this one is purely all the christmas junk, big plastic santa's fake trees etc. If they had real trees too I wouldnt be too fussed but a shop about those ugly fake ones and the tacky decorations just makes it look and feel horrible.

There is traditionally a date that people wouldnt put up their decorations till after and also a date that they all come down. I know my family stick to it, really feel shops etc should stick to it too. Wouldnt it be great that on one day everything goes up at the same time, wouldnt feel so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I generally think of it as a chance to take a week off work, relax, meet up with some relatives and friends. I'll probably be visiting some relatives I rarely see this year.

Thank God for some sanity - Thats what my idea of Christmas is as well. People are always whinging about hassle/crowds/consumerism/mad panic etc around Christmas. But they are the very people who are causing it all!!! I get my shopping done at off peeak times, then relax and enjoy it. I cook Christmas dinner - which to a large extent involves sticking a turkey in the oven plus a few veg, spuds etc. What is all the fuss about?.

After that - the above post has it about sussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Don't care about Xmas. I generally do my shopping on 23rd or so.

I put a lot of effort into it last year and everyone appreciated it but I couldn't be arsed this year. Better things to do with my time and I never get anything decent anyway. I don't thing people that know me, know me that well. They always manage to get me crap gifts. I like movies and computer games, how hard can it be!

I like that my sister always buys me clothes because otherwise I wouldn't get new clothes becuase I hate clothes shopping. She also always seems to get me something I'll actually wear which is a plus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    It feels worse when you are the one selling it.

Work for Starbucks, literally the 1st of November came in and everything had been changed to the christmas design had to put on a christmas top and go out and give samples of our *christmas drinks*.
    Normally I would hate it, but this year I have been ill and will be getting a lot better closer to Christmas so am really looking forward to it, all the Christmas stuff reminds me of good times ahead.

Was in Starbucks yesterday and I loved it, I can not eat mince pies yet but I can have some of the Christmas coffee's and I will be able to eat them soon, it really cheered me up.

We should be having a great time - my first Christmas with Shane and we will all be going to a hotel some time over Christmas for a few days total pampering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

CathyMoran wrote:
    Normally I would hate it, but this year I have been ill and will be getting a lot better closer to Christmas so am really looking forward to it, all the Christmas stuff reminds me of good times ahead.

Glad to read you're on the road to recovery! Happy Christmas!!

Owh god.

I remember working in Dunnes bout 2 years ago. Christmas started on the 1st of November and continued on until the end of January. Christmas songs all the fuppin' time. That kinda ruined charols for me :(

Thankfully enough in my family we have somewhat moved away from the commercial aspect of christmas as much as possible by doing things like Secret Santa. Generally we think more about how much a present would mean to that person, more than the price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

This whole christmas thing is getting ridiculous, i can't believe i'm seeing all these "what to get x" threads already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ClockWorkOrange

BlitzKrieg wrote:

This is my idea of hell on earth, working in starbucks over christmas, having to act cheerful and deal with overpaid annoying yuppies buying overpriced coffee...Id probably kill myself :D

Im surprised more people dont just ignore Christmas, all i hear is complaining about prices and consumerism yet the stores will be rammed to the gills over the next 3 months.. Its beyond belief, people will be taking out loans!!.. I blame women, no man in his right mind would ever go shopping over Christmas's unless he was a bit metro or was dragged by a woman

Ill be spending Christmas having a few beers and a joint and chilling with some mates...You wont find me contributing to the mess..

Boycott Christmas, we have pretty much put the religion fiasco behind us so this is the next logical step...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Well if everyone got everyone else those cyanide capsules i had suggested.... :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement