Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Many A Truth Is Said In Jest"

Options
  • 02-11-2006 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Was talking to someone about this today- I know everyone slags each other about potentially hurtful things to some extent but do you often say things in a jokey way when you actually really mean it? Even subconsciously? I have seen people joke about hating each other when they actually do etc and am just wondering, or am I just too scared to say things upfront?!?!

I've phrased all this really bad.

do you ever disguise the truth in a joke? 43 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 43 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Not really. It's an attitude I fear aswell, I don't like the idea of people believing all the crap I spout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Yep i do it but in other areas not quite the way you put it. Guess it is cowardly.
    I dont dislike anyone that i know of!! And no i wouldnt use it to say something bad about a person but i do it regularly.

And its not necessarily bad things either - if that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

You mean laughing at someone while your telling him hes a pr**k?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Jokes have punchlines. Two-faced bitchy comments that are delivered with a dry chuckle at the end of them do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

thrill wrote:
    You mean laughing at someone while your telling him hes a pr**k?

Is that Q for me?

If so then no no no thats not what i mean!! I sometimes used lighthearted jokes to start a conversation i think the other person might need a hand opening up for - stuff like that!

No i am too honest for my own good sometimes and i dont go for that sneaky backhanded comments thing i would rather say things directly if its something negative!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Do a little bit yea, but not as it's described (bitchy snide comments). More like if someone needs a waking up, you can lightly bring them back to reality without screaming down their throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

yeh i know what ya mean i do this a lot,but im not the kind of person tat would hold back from saying something to something upfront anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yup, I do it, but I'm constantly cracking jokes anyway, so I doubt anybody realises it.

I am naturally inclined to take the piss out of people, but never maliciously. I have one friend who cannot laugh at herself, and whenever I make a joke involving her, she looks at me like I've just announced that I murdered her puppy. Now, that's annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

iFight wrote:
    Do a little bit yea, but not as it's described (bitchy snide comments). More like if someone needs a waking up, you can lightly bring them back to reality without screaming down their throat.

Similar here, I hate no one*. There are some people who are just begging to be laughed at that I sometimes can't resist. :p

*at present

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Faith wrote:
    I have one friend who cannot laugh at herself, and whenever I make a joke involving her, she looks at me like I've just announced that I murdered her puppy. Now, that's annoying!

I hate that - "You just offended me and now I'm going to have a huff" - fine you go and do that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If I have something to say to someone, I say it to straight to their face.

Only had to do it once or twice. I get on with almost anyone but when someone pisses me off they find out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Na, I don't do anything like that. I either say it outloud quite clearly or else keep it to myself. I don't try to disguise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

All of the freakin time, I always start laughing when I tell the truth, is it any wonder people never believe me! :D

Amusingly, if I make something up people usually do believe me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

tbh im suprised so many of you pal around with people you dont even like. No need for jokes if i dont like someone they know it tbh.

As for abuse, I refer to my mates as pricks and spas the whole time, its a term of endearment by now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

shane86 wrote:
    tbh im suprised so many of you pal around with people you dont even like. No need for jokes if i dont like someone they know it tbh.

Could be someone in the same circle of friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I'm always at it.
    My poor Dad gets it the worst, bless him.
    I'd usually never say something really hurtful though.

Usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

petes wrote:
    Could be someone in the same circle of friends.

circles of friends are best avoided they are more hassle than they are worth. best just have lots of seperate friends.

Advertisement