Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbelieveable Laziness

Options
  • 02-11-2006 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in my 4th and final year of college. I want to do as best I can but the problem I have is laziness and a lack of motivation.

I have a number of projects and assignments to do but I only do a little bit before getting really bored and going and doing something else for a bout 2 hours. I can't get stuck into them like I should and when I'm not studying or doing college work I feel guilty. So even when I'm doing other things I should enjoy, I have guilt hanging over me.

I've never been the greatest student but this year I really need to but I find it incredibly difficult. Any advice to get me into the right frame of mind?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

one thing I tried was getting rid of distractions, so I left my television at home and lived in a house with no tv, no hi-fi, no dvd player or whatever. When you have nothing to do, study becomes less of a chore.
    Also try and reward yourself for studying, like taking time off, going to cinema, pub or whatver. just my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭letterman

Yeah, get your head out of your arse and realise that no body else is going to do the work for you. Jesus HTF did you manage to progress through 4 years of College in the first place. Grow up and get a grip.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

letterman wrote:
    Yeah, get your head out of your arse and realise that no body else is going to do the work for you. Jesus HTF did you manage to progress through 4 years of College in the first place. Grow up and get a grip.:mad:

A bit harsh there letterman!

To Motivateme - I think you need to realise that everybody slacks off a bit. Dont beat yourself up over it.

Do the work that you need to so but make sure that you really enjoy your time off too. If you feel guilty about not studying when you are supposed to be enjoying yourself then you will just end up resenting study!!

I only do a little bit before getting really bored and going and doing something else for a bout 2 hours.

Maybe a bit OTT But THB if you can get off your arse to do 2 hours of something else when you know you have deadlines then WHF.

"Do the work that you need to so but make sure that you really enjoy your time off too." Good point Tarakiwa but stress the words "do the work..."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

letterman wrote:
    Maybe a bit OTT But THB if you can get off your arse to do 2 hours of something else when you know you have deadlines then WHF.

"Do the work that you need to so but make sure that you really enjoy your time off too." Good point Tarakiwa but stress the words "do the work..."
    LBH TBC OCD BBC ITV KKK RST ......... WTF?

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    LBH TBC OCD BBC ITV KKK RST ......... WTF?

Dont have most of those channels mate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Motivate me!

lol. You're so lazy you've to get other people to motivate you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

letterman wrote:
    Dont have most of those channels mate
    Do you not have OCD? It's great. It's on all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

OP, you just have to set yourself goals, I always find it easier if I have it written down and mark things off until I am satisfied enough. What do you want to do when you are finished in college? You are in your final year, don't blow the whole lot now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Instead of getting up & doing something else for 2 hours & feeling guilty while doing it, why don't you set that activity as your reward but only if you complete X amount of study (be it hours or subjects or whatever) and make sure you don't lift your arse off the chair til it's done.

As someone else said, no one else can do it for you & if you fail you'll have no one else to blame! Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'I probably deserve some of the abuse. \r\nI\'ve always considered myself somewhat clever and understand most things straight away so I kind of don\'t see the point of studying. I know this is an arrogant and stupid way of thinking (because it doesn\'t work when exams roll around) and I need to break away from it.\r\n\r\nThanks for the advice. I\'ll take it onboard and write 1,000 lines \"must try harder\"\r\n\r\n:)'

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'll take it onboard and write 1,000 lines "must try harder":)
    Just as long as you don't copy and paste them! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Untense

I think if you're really that unmotivated, it's not for you and you'd be better to just quit altogether.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Same here, I went into college on Thursday which is first time in 9 days, reason I hadn't gone it was because I wasn't up before 5pm, not like I would be out pevious night, just gone in bad habit of falling asleep around 8am.
    Trying to break out of it now but need to do work.
    Usually writing down what I need to helps, I should start again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'm a horribly lazy person in third year of college myself. Unforunately if there's a quick fix I haven't found it. For we who can't cram the best thing I can suggest is little and often. When you get time off before big exams, or when class tests are announced start studying straight away, so that the little time you can concentrate adds up. Though for fourth year, that's probably not going to be a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The key is just to make a timetable whereby you know 'this is the time I work' and 'this is the time I play' and don't ever let the two activity times bleed into each other.

Start off with just 1 hour tomorrow and see can what you can do in it. When the hours up throw the books away and enjoy the rest of the day. Next day onwards then up it 2,3,4 etc until you reach the point where you're doing the amount of hours you actually need to pass.

If you try to do tonnes straight away then you're doomed to failure and If you don't have some fun/relaxation you're just gonna end up resenting the time you've given to studying even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Routine, Routine, Routine....If you can set up a post lecture routine of say, 3-4 hrs a day to some work and KEEP doing it, there is no reason why you cant do well. Find a nice quiet corner (e.g. in the library), turn on some music (I have to study with music, maybe you dont) and shut out the world.

A little bit over a long period of time is better than the old "week before the exams" super cram. Too often I have found myself understanding concepts the night before an exam that I should have taken the time to familiarise myself with months beforehand.

Advertisement