Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its cold and people are burning coal etc!!

Options
  • 02-11-2006 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I remember years ago Dublin was full of smog. You could not even see the clouds with it. Then someone banned smokey coal so all fuel was smokeless. Grand it was gone within months and now we can see the clouds :D

Anyway since im now living in Westmeath i have noticed that a lot of houses which have coal fires etc have smoke pouring out of their chimneys. And there is a bank of smog over the towns. Now im not too bothered.. i like the smell and it sort of gives the towns a nice 1900's feel to them... however... is this not illegal everywhere or just Dublin? Or was not not made illegal and just people only used smokeless coal?

I was going to post in green issues but i do not think its much of a green issue unless its every small town outside of Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Are you asking whether coal fires are illegal?

Smokeless coal still makes smoke. It makes fire. Allegedly, there's a correlation between the two.

Many of them probably need to get their chimney cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im sure smokeless coal has some smoke... but not a constant stream as if it was a factory! Maybe its just the older houses and so as you said they need their chimney cleaned.
    And no of course im not asking if a coal fire is illegal.. thats stupid as i think every house has to have a fireplace. I was just wondering what the story with smokeless coal is... does everywhere have to use it in Ireland? Or just Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

It's banned in all of ireland afaik.

And your piece of trivia for the day is....it was mary harney that banned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I recall smog very well from our estate in the early 90's especially on frosty nights like tonight.

Since the change to smokeless it's no longer a problem but over the passing years people are returning to bituminous coal over anthractie (smokeless) since there's a "nicer" fire out of it (better flame, light's quicker and easier)...

Burning smokey coal isn't illegal; selling it within urban settings is...I can for instance go out the road a few miles and buy a bag of smokey coal and burn it quite happily....however my coalman cannot sell it to me legally or he risks a large fine. Although that doesn't stop all of them, especially when people start asking for it again.

I've happily since switched to gas, only light the fire the odd time now to keep the crows out of the chimney. :D

[edit] as for smokeless coal having smoke? Sure it does, it's just not sulphurous smoke...it burns at a much higher temperature whereas bituminous coal burns at a lower temperature and that's why the unburned impurities in the coal smoke.
    The soot given off by smokeless is really fine and creates much more risk of a chimney fire than the other stuff....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

The areas where you must use "smokeless" or "low smoke" fuels areas are:

Arklow
    Bray
    Celbridge
    Cork
    Drogheda
    Dublin
    Dundalk
    Galway City
    Kilkenny
    Leixlip
    Limerick
    Naas
    Sligo
    Tralee
    Waterford City
    Wexford.

Above copied from http://oasis.gov.ie/environment/smokeless_fuel_allowance.html
    about the smokeless fuel allowance for low income households.

ETA: Same link implies burning other smokey fuels is illegal in these areas but spotchecks are only carried out on retailers not homes. Complaints about burning illegal fuels should be reported to local authority and they will investigate apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BrenC

I used to like our coal fire, now its a gas fire, pssshh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

In my day we didnt have fire. When it got really cold we used have to go out into the car and turn on the climate control.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Turf ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Good ol' polish coal (of the smokey kind) is still in use in Fingal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

joejoem wrote:
    In my day we didnt have fire. When it got really cold we used have to go out into the car and turn on the climate control.

How come you car has climate control but no wheels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Dragan wrote:
    How come you car has climate control but no wheels?

Because your climate control can't be robbed...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

so that explains it... The local centra and a texaco garage are the only places you can buy coal in Rochfortbridge as far as i know... so its probably ordinary coal etc... or they are burning cardboard etc.... i know i did that when i first moved in as i had too much to get rid of and still a massive pile out the back until i could get it to the recycling place in mullingar 6 months later :D

Advertisement