Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water in wheels

Options
  • 02-11-2006 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Did anyone out there use water in tractor wheels for weights ? I know some people fill their back wheels for ploughing etc. I was thinking of filling the front wheels of my 399 for dump trailor work. does any one know how much is usually put in? Would too little splash around and give a shake to the wheels? Do you then need valve to top of wheel to check pressure? all help gratefully appreicated guys, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Personally, i would say you might be better off getting a set of weights for the front, how big is the dumper you are planning to use on the 399?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 baikal

Dump trailer is 14 ft long , single axel and a very long draw bar . Not the propper set up I know but it is all I have.It is suspposed to be the eassiest on the tractor to have the weight on the wheels and a lot of people say there is nothing to filling them with water but none of them do it. I think Calcium Clorine-water is the propper recommended job but know nothing about it. Ill try YAHOO again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭maidhc

It would be dog rough on the road I would think. The air in the tyres is the only bit of suspension you can get.

Isn't the 399 pushing on to be subjected to that sort of torture?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.calciumchloride.co.uk/calcium_chloride_msds.html (note the bit about exothermic - getting hot)
    Store in a tightly closed container in cool, dry and ventilated area. Protect against mechanical damage. Wet calcium chloride and concentrated solutions could corrode steel tanks.
    dissolving it in water will increase the density of the water, but like other salts aids corrosion in metals like wheel rims, why not get cesium chloride solution or mercury :rolleyes:

water doesn't compress as well as air (understatement) so if your tyres were full and you hit a pothole they would be a lot more likely to burst

the dynamics of moving liquids means that accelerating, braking, turning would all be affected

I doubt your insurance would cover it either

maidhc wrote:
    It would be dog rough on the road I would think. The air in the tyres is the only bit of suspension you can get.

It probably would be rough for road work allright hadnt thought of that, totally different to filling the back wheels for ploughing.

Isn't the 399 pushing on to be subjected to that sort of torture?

The 399 is a 94 reg 110 hp tractor. Dont thing it's pushing on that much. I still see two different local men use 121 Muir Hills to haul 12/13 ton track diggers.

• Advertisement

http://www.calciumchloride.co.uk/calcium_chloride_msds.html (note the bit about exothermic - getting hot)
    dissolving it in water will increase the density of the water, but like other salts aids corrosion in metals like wheel rims, why not get cesium chloride solution or mercury :rolleyes:

I think the calcium chloride acts as an antifreeze. A litre of ordinary antifreeze with the water would do if the water was a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭maidhc

baikal wrote:
    The 399 is a 94 reg 110 hp tractor. Dont thing it's pushing on that much. I still see two different local men use 121 Muir Hills to haul 12/13 ton track diggers.

The Muirhill is a class machine!

I don't mean the 399 isn't able for the dumper (although it is small compared to an 06 John Deere 7920 working on a site near me!!!), but that putting water in the wheels rather than getting a set of weights will put a lot of extra strain on the drivetrain.

Why not get weights?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

baikal wrote:
    I think the calcium chloride acts as an antifreeze. A litre of ordinary antifreeze with the water would do if the water was a success.
    If it was only anti-freeze then you might as well use urea.

maidhc wrote:
    The Muirhill is a class machine!

I don't mean the 399 isn't able for the dumper (although it is small compared to an 06 John Deere 7920 working on a site near me!!!), but that putting water in the wheels rather than getting a set of weights will put a lot of extra strain on the drivetrain.

Why not get weights?

Aset of weights are about €600. Thought I could save a pound. Mabey I would be just as well with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I made up 'weight boxes' that hang/bolt to the front of most of my tractors, which got packed with various lumps of heavy iron things as the job dictates.
    I put a frame on the front of the spraying tractor that held a small plastic barrel, which when filled with clean water, provided a handy supply for washing hands, unblocking nozzles, etc.
    Every farmer's yard that I know of has a fair share of heavy stuff that would serve admirably.
    Also, many farm machinery dealers will have old/obsolete wheel weights and other similar scrap iron about the place that make excellent ballast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

baikal wrote:
    Dump trailer is 14 ft long , single axel and a very long draw bar .

If it were double axle, the 399 shouldnt have any bother with it, but single axle with long drawbar,:o you might need something hanging off the front alright, as for payin 600 for a set of weights, i would search around for a second hand set first, try the buy and sell... usually good for odds and ends.And those weights should be common enough anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭emaherx

300 series Massey's are prone to problems with track rod ends, Filling the front tyres with water will cause excessive ware.

You shold be able to pick up a set of weights second hand easily, try machinery auctions

Advertisement