Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blind Dates

Options
  • 02-11-2006 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Coming here for a bit of advise.Going on a blind date tonight with somebody i met on line. He seems normal but can never be to careful. Can I ask for some advise on how to approach this whole blind date thing. Obviously it is my first one.
    Thanks
    Tra

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The same way you approach any other first date! Apart from the fact you're going to have to ask him what he's wearing so you'll know its him :D

Just meet somewhere central that you can get home from alone without any problem or without having to rely on sharing a taxi or anything.

Otherwise have fun! I hope it goes well for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

As above.

And try not to refer to him by his user name.
    That makes everyone feel like a loser in the real world!

Maybe have something in mind to do incase he doesn't have any plans.
    Even if it's just a particular pub to go to or something.
    It'll save the awkward standing round on a street corner part of the evening!

Enjoy & post back tomorrow with some of the juicy details!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

I would bring a friend just have him watching you from across the road or something theres some right nutters out there. Or bring a weapon maybe.. Just be careful..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

Meet in a safe place where there are plenty of people and that are you comfortable in. Have a friend phone you or text you about 15 minutes or so into the meeting to give you an out if you need it. Just use common sense really. And be cautious and safe.

And if you hit it off have fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Have one of your friends call you about 20 minutes into but also about two hours later in case he becomes weird after a few drinks...have fun!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yep nothing to be worried about as long as you're sensible enough!

Know roughly what he looks like, what he'll be wearing and/or some way the two of you will be able to know that you've indeed found the right person!

It might be a good idea to find out which of your friends are in town that night, in case you need to go to them or them to come to you for any reason. Likewise also make sure you know someone who'll be at home (not at the pub like i was when i was needed ;)) in case you need them to call you for an early exit!

If you're going for a drink or the like, pick a pub you're familiar with, relatively central.

And finally, relax and enjoy the date! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Lorax wrote:
    I would bring a friend just have him watching you from across the road or something theres some right nutters out there.
    Sound advice.
    Lorax wrote:
    Or bring a weapon maybe..
    Dear Mother of God! If anyone was scared enough to bring a weapon on a blind date - why bother going in the first place?

Not good advice.

OP - How did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Lorax wrote:
    Or bring a weapon maybe.

Yeah, I'm a firm believer in that sentence having an ending that reads "So then he can take it off you and kill you with it."

Meet him somewhere public, and have a system set up that you text a friend to say you're all right. Tell him straight out that's what you're doing - "I have to text my friend Bill to confirm you're not an axe-wielding maniac".

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lorax wrote:
    I would bring a friend just have him watching you from across the road or something theres some right nutters out there. Or bring a weapon maybe.. Just be careful..
    And how do you think he'll feel when he sees his blind date with the carving knife in her handbag. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Victor wrote:
    And how do you think he'll feel when he sees his blind date with the carving knife in her handbag. :rolleyes:
    Hoping that she's got a joint of roast beef in her purse?

Seriously though - I hope that it went well for her & that she didn't bring a weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Morning all,
    Thanks for all the advice. Didnt take the carving knife but whatever floats your boat. Had a lovely night last night. He turned out to be really nice. Did keep in contact with one of friends for the first few hours but assured her that was fine. Think another date is on the cards so thanks for all the advice again.
    Tra

Yay!
    Glad it went well Tra.
    So what are you gonna tell the grandkids when they ask how you met? ;)

Love its in the air, every time I look around... dah dah dah dah....Repeat and sway in your chair.

Tra glad it went alright for ya, maybe bringing a weapon would have been a bit extreme I was just thinkin if it was my sister or something.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

MAYBE bringing a weapon would have been excessive?
    People like you are the reason why people going on blind dates and consider bringing weapons. That is a truly disturbing thing to say man.
    Have you completely freaked the bean? Jesus christ that is the most cynical thing I have ever heard.

Think youre being a bit naive presuming there are no weirdos out there at all, especially someone who up to when you meet them is a complete stranger and I dont care what anyone says, look at the cases of Mr C and Mr A in the news at the moment there are some right freaks out there. If the fella went to rape u its better to have something to defend yourself and run away than just let it happen.

Lorax wrote:
    Think youre being a bit naive presuming there are no weirdos out there at all, especially someone who up to when you meet them is a complete stranger and I dont care what anyone says, look at the cases of Mr C and Mr A in the news at the moment there are some right freaks out there. If the fella went to rape u its better to have something to defend yourself and run away than just let it happen.
    Yeh but it's probably best to just stay somewhere very public so that the situation won't arise.
    But this is kinda off topic.
    Maybe start a new thread about whether or not to bring weapons out on dates?
    Personally I never go on a date with out my stun-guns [wink] and whip!
    But then I've been with my boyfriend for a fair while now and he enjoys those things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Never have a weapon, unless you are prepared to use it. Threatning someone with a knife is alot different than ramming it into their chest. Off topic ?

TK

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lorax wrote:
    Of course there's weirdos out there. But meeting someone on a blind date is really no different than meeting some stranger that you snogged in a bar the weekend before. I've met up with plenty of girls on first dates and I didn't know what they looked like. Not that it was a blind date, it was more to do with the fact that I was blind drunk when I met them previously.

To suggest that the OP should bring a weapon is retarded imo, and I really hope that you were only joking. Even suggesting, as somebody else did, bringing a friend along so that they can watch you is ludicrous. Unless she's a young teenager that needs a chaperone it's total overkill. One of the joys of being an adult is that you can meet other adults.

As long as the person is sensible and meets the other person in a public place and goes to bar where there's lots of people they'll be fine. And that should go for any date blind or blind drunk.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

BaZmO* wrote:
    Of course there's weirdos out there. But meeting someone on a blind date is really no different than meeting some stranger that you snogged in a bar the weekend before. I've met up with plenty of girls on first dates and I didn't know what they looked like. Not that it was a blind date, it was more to do with the fact that I was blind drunk when I met them previously.

To suggest that the OP should bring a weapon is retarded imo, and I really hope that you were only joking. Even suggesting, as somebody else did, bringing a friend along so that they can watch you is ludicrous. Unless she's a young teenager that needs a chaperone it's total overkill. One of the joys of being an adult is that you can meet other adults.

As long as the person is sensible and meets the other person in a public place and goes to bar where there's lots of people they'll be fine. And that should go for any date blind or blind drunk.
    AT LAST! Someone speaking complete sense! Couldn't agree with you more.

As for someone suggesting you might be raped by a maniac on a blind date...hardly likely to happen if you are just careful & sensible as everyone suggested. He's hardly gonna try & mount you in a crowded pub or in the taxi queue is he?

Delighted to hear it went well for you OP -woohoo!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some friends got married over the summer. The first bit of the relationship went something like this.
    first contact: she's online, depressed and he sends her a link to a Muppet Show video to cheer her up
    first date: coffee
    second date: shooting range, then watched 'a bridge too far' on dvd
    third date: tank 'museum'

See, weapons need not be introduced until the second date. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ClockWorkOrange

I took a girl on a date to a shooting range, it was in Washington state outside Seattle.. Other than her nearly shooting herself in the face we had a great time..She was pointing the gun (9mm auto) upwards she pulled the trigger, the bullet hit the roof of the range...

Best date ever! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Girls and guns - both start with "gee" :D

Advertisement