Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check your registered to vote

Options
  • 02-11-2006 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭

There appears to be a lot of young spuds on boards, if your interested in voting in the upcoming election this website lets you check that your registered to vote

www.checktheregister.ie

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum please move to appropriate forum if its not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Cheers, that reminds me I've to go register.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Here's a (related) question for ya...I was registered as far as I was aware, then somoen knocked at the door one day to check was I registered & marked my name off a list she had. Then I got a letter saying if I didn;t register to vote eithin 10days of receiving the letter I would not be eligible to vote! Can they strike me off the electoral register for not responding to that letter??

>>might make more sense if I check the register first...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ok the answer is not, cos I'm still on the list :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Has anyone tried filling in that thing with a surname that begins with 'O', as in O Flaherty, O Hagan, etc. ? Is there a certain way you should enter your details, as in 'oflaherty' 'O' flaherty' or 'O Flaherty'.

I just tried it, using all of my families first names, and it says none of us can be found, but I have always been registered to vote, as have my parents and siblings.

What could have happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm registered. Woohoo. I have never voted though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Wahey, Pigheads registered. Does this mean I can vote? Great.
    Pighead votes YES
    (Motion being thus: Is Sarky a cnut?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Woo woo, on the register. *ahem* Not much use when I'm out o' the country. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Not on the list.

I regestered a few years ago and voted last time around. Some woman came around the area a few weeks ago about this and my mother asked if I was on the list, I wasnt. She said she would sort it out though. Since then I have heard nothing back and I'm still not on the list.

In all honesty the whole thing seems like such a huge mess, I suppose no suprise in this country. Your told as you grow up how important it is to vote and that you should make the effort, yet, it seems who ever looks after the whole system of whos registerd cant do their job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I am, and so is my wife.. which is strange as she is an American but is showing up as P so in other words Irish citizen so able to vote in all elections and not just local :D She is not however a citizen as she has not been in the country long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Yeah, I'm registered. Now to decide on what candidate to vote for. :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Cool, am totally registered and able to ignore my voting responsibilities!

Why did I find myself checking to see if any dead people were still registered by mistake?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Stupid system to check the number of my house has a letter also but it says numbers only as im sure other houses do also what dopes made that database :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yep, up there as both Rock Strongo and Lance Uppercut. I think I'll give one vote each to whoever does the best doorstep juggling act.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Why did I find myself checking to see if any dead people were still registered by mistake?

Maybe you were afraid that some politicans would use these names and vote for themselves, like on the Simpsons when Sideshow Bob becomes mayor. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

That's probably it Kojak!

Here's a lolly!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

OK, maybe I'm getting this wrong, but according to the table they show, I'm eligible to vote in British Local Elections? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭raheny red

I allowed to vote :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A fella from the council knocked to my door and took my name as he was updating the register and I had turned 18, so was eligible.

That was about 3 or 4 months ago, but I'm still not on the register (according to that site) -- should I send in a written application?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Brian017

^^ What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

FFS is it just me or is the search function retarded? . i put my name and address in exactly and the damn thing said i didnt exist. tried a generic form of it using the first four letters of my area and up i pop:rolleyes: whats the odds the same lads that designed PPARS are behind this beauty.

nice to know im registered but seeing as i went out of my way signing on when i first moved here its the least i fecking expect

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*cracks voting knuckles*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Registered at my old address from 6 years ago. Well, I'm fairly sure it was me that came up in the list.
    Not too bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm registered. We need a joke party in this country. A real one, Fine Gael are just taking the piss at this age acting like they have policies and know how to run a country. Can't be worse than whats in though in fairness.

Hopefully Noel Dempsey will not be part of the next government. Its about the only thing that would make me thing that Irish voters have some idea about what they are doing. Who hasn't this guy pissed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Macker

I voted in every election since the 80's and I'm not registered ,well I didn't think so until I tried various spellings of my name ,and up I pop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    Has anyone tried filling in that thing with a surname that begins with 'O', as in O Flaherty, O Hagan, etc. ? Is there a certain way you should enter your details, as in 'oflaherty' 'O' flaherty' or 'O Flaherty'.

It's O'Flaherty

Well, that's what worked for my O'... surname anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

That site seems to be down for me, can anyone else access it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Yeah it's working fine for me now.

@meditraitor, thanks for posting this, I'd being wondering if I was still registered this weekend and according to the site I am so you've set my mind at ease.

@ Mrs. Doyle, Yeah I tried that and it works for me. Just put the surname as you'd spell it and if the person is registered it'll come up. Tried my cuz and it works for her name and she's an O'xxxxx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

yay, they've updated it apparantly, cos I'm registered now :)

yayyayaya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Registered

*cracks voting knuckles*

Same. Including the knuckle cracking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm registered but um... when's the election?

Advertisement