Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 Almera 1.5

Options
  • 02-11-2006 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey, have a 01 Almera 1.5 with about 38k on the clock.

Anyhow, in the last few days it seems to be stalling while I'm driving and hence I loose all steering and brakes etc. Seems to generally happen when the car is cold and slowing down in a straight line, however this morning it happened when i was taking a left turn and i ended up on the opposite side of the road, luckily there was nothing coming the otehr way! Always re-starts and this mornign it restarted while moving. Anyone any ideas as to what it may be. Think its still under warranty but had an oil change recently not by the dealer so that could be a sticky point with the warranty!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonno23

I too have an Almera, a 2000 model (new shape) with a 1.5 engine, just gone 40k on the clock, and the same problem has started occuring recently with our car.
    It appears to particularily occur when changing down into 2nd gear at a juntion/roundabout. There's never any problem restarting the car. I originally thought it may be something loose as the car slows, but since it only appears when down shifting to 2nd, I'm at a loss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

did the cars ever get recalled for a software upgrade/remap? i know ours did but then it seems to have half the engine replaced at one point or another. new injector sensors, coil, engine mounts the list goes on and on. then again the mileage is over triple what ye have up. never experienced that particular problem as far as i know but i'll check anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Weaselator

did the cars ever get recalled for a software upgrade/remap? i know ours did but then it seems to have half the engine replaced at one point or another. new injector sensors, coil, engine mounts the list goes on and on. then again the mileage is over triple what ye have up. never experienced that particular problem as far as i know but i'll check anyway
    I assume it has, I've only had it since Jan this year. How would I check that?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

#2 Engine May Stall
    http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/recalls.jsp?modelID=C7&modelName=Almera&makeName=Nissan&makeId=D0
    A concern has been identified affecting 1.5, 1.6 and 1.8 petrol engine crankshaft and camshaft position sensors (a common part). An internal failure of the component may cause the engine to stall and not restart.
    Recall affected vehicles and fit a quality assured replacement crankshaft and camshaft position sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Weaselator

kbannon wrote:
    #2 Engine May Stall
    http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/recalls.jsp?modelID=C7&modelName=Almera&makeName=Nissan&makeId=D0
    A concern has been identified affecting 1.5, 1.6 and 1.8 petrol engine crankshaft and camshaft position sensors (a common part). An internal failure of the component may cause the engine to stall and not restart.
    Recall affected vehicles and fit a quality assured replacement crankshaft and camshaft position sensor.
    So just check with the dealer to ensure this work has been carried out yeh?!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input. Only issue is that our car has no problem restarting after it stalls!
    I don't believe the car has ever had any software updates, nor recalls, as we bought it a couple of years ago from a good friend who bought it new. She never mentioned any thing about recalls etc.

Hi all,

Just have a query regarding our Almera again - it’s the newer shape, with a 1.5 engine. There’s just 40K on the clock.

Noticed that the car is stuttering slightly on the open road, don’t notice it in traffic or when started, but when driving along the revs dip slightly. Booked the car in for a service (last service 5,500 miles ago) with an independent mechanics we often use, and mentioned it to the mechanic. I figured it was the spark plugs causing the car to “misfire”.

The mechanic reckons it’s actually the timing chain, and quoted E800 for the job. He reckons it’s a common enough problem with these engines.

Bit surprised at this, I was hoping to get many more miles out of a timing chain. Is it worth bringing the car back to a Nissan garage, as I don’t think the recall kbannon mentioned was ever looked at? Wondering if a Nissan dealer would be better to diagnose this? I’ve always trusted this mechanic, but don’t want to spend E800 when that’s not the problem.

Any help appreciated.
    Jon

Anyone any ideas on this? Is it worth going to a Nissan garage to check the recall history? And would a timing chain cost E800 on an Almera?

Bit worried! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

The chain itself is about 200 euro, then you have an oil and filter change and coolant too. Plus possibly guides, tensioners, seals.And there is a good bit of labour involved too for them!
    This is a common problem with the almeras.The timing chain stretches.

Thanks, amg-slurp, i was hoping the chain would have lasted longer than 40K miles. I'll try to get a price from a Nissan garage and see what they say.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Lightning - i'll give that a try to see if it works. Hoping against hope it does, can't afford to do the chain (althought I know if would be far more expensive should the chain break).

Cheers,
    Jon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

All those Almeras (and primeras etc) were recalled for faulty cam shaft oil seals. They leak oil, and unfortunately, being distributorless, the crankshaft position sensor is in a position where the leaked oil can get on it. This causes erratic behaviour, eventually leading to a no start situation.

My wife's old car, an '01 1.5 was recalled for this reason, but she never got the recall notice. When the car did die, Nissan paid for all the parts and labour (as they would have in the recall anyway), including a new timing chain as the old one was damaged by oil. The work was carried out by EP Mooney, iirc.

CHECK WITH ANY NISSAN DEALER IF THIS WORK HAS BEEN DONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭localchap

I wouldn't trust self employed mechanics for 100% on their repair assessment.Had an experience lately, water temp.risen high, mechanic said, it could be head gasket started its way to be gone and added get ready to pay e400 to fix it. I've blown air out of the rad., refilled it and no problem since then occured. I'd say evryone does business in its own way;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bring the car back to the dealer from whom it was purchased.

Not your ornery onager

Thanks for the replies - I'll contact the Nissan garage in Dundrum to see if it was ever carried out. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

localchap wrote:
    I wouldn't trust self employed mechanics for 100% on their repair assessment.Had an experience lately, water temp.risen high, mechanic said, it could be head gasket started its way to be gone and added get ready to pay e400 to fix it. I've blown air out of the rad., refilled it and no problem since then occured. I'd say evryone does business in its own way;)

Good lad. There are many independent garages out there that are run better, and more efficiently and offer substantially better technical and customer service than main dealers.

Advertisement