Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSIA lump sum reinvestment help needed

Options
  • 01-11-2006 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Want to reinvest my lump sum, girl in the bank was useless, absolutely no help. Anyone done the homework on whos offering the best deals on savings accounts for a lump sum (i will continue saving also). Would need to have access to the money at 30 days notice or less. I've looked at the various web sites but this really wouldn't be my thing.....so any help appreciated to get me started.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Try Rabobank or Northern rock(all internet based). They have some conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

From the bit of research I have done, it does appear that Rabo Bank have the least strings attached and the best rates. All the other banks have minimum terms, minimum amounts and restrictive clauses as to what you can do with your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

Any opinions on Post Office Savings Bonds ?

Seem secure and offer 8% over three years. Not sure what that means if you withdraw before that timescale though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

ChewyLuey wrote:
    Any opinions on Post Office Savings Bonds ?

Seem secure and offer 8% over three years. Not sure what that means if you withdraw before that timescale though.

Are these linked to inflation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yes, they're guaranteed NOT to cover inflation! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Oracle wrote:
    Yes, they're guaranteed NOT to cover inflation! :D

Yes, this is always a problem with guarenteed investments, if it doesn't beat inflation, you've lost out. I'm no expert at all, nor do I claim to be but OP you should seek advice from an independent financial advisor rather than relying on the literature you see for these products.

The IFA will assess your attitude to risk and whether you can afford that risk and help you come to a better decision. It may cost you a bit but you could reap that cost and more back with the right investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Just kidding in my previous post; the An Post investments: Bonds, Certificates and Instalment Savings, used to have a great rate (i.e Instalment Savings did offer 50% over 5 years) and carry an index-linked (inflation index) guarantee. I think in practice, the index-linked guarantee never kicked in because the basic rate was so good. Nice to have it though just in case of super-inflation!
    I'm really disappointed An Post products have become so unattractive, I think pressure was put on the government, and the NTMA (National Treasury Management Agency- the body that governs the An Post savings schemes), to lower the deposit rates; or as the savings and investment industry lobby would say.... "to adjust the rates to reflect the prevailing interest rate environment."

Anyway, enough of that here's a link to some handy pdf booklets on SSIAs, investment and pensions (I hope they help.): http://www.ifsra.ie/frame_main.asp?pg=%2Fconsumer%2Fcr%5Fintr%2Easp&nv=%2Fconsumer%2Fcr%5Fnav%2Easp

Advertisement