Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you bought 100 shares in each company in the ISEQ ten years ago..

Options
  • 01-11-2006 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

How much would you have paid, how much would the investment be worth now, what return would you have got etc?
    Would appreciate it if somebody could find these figures.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Firstly, not all the companies in the current ISEQ would have been members ten years ago. Secondly, why do you need to know? Thirdly, ever hear of google?

The ISEQ index is a weighted average of all the stocks on the ISE. It's base value was 1000 in 1988, today it's at 8628.97, so in theory for your €1000 invested in 88, you would have €8628.97 today.

If you really need ten year data go look for it, not that hard to find. (hint: you could try the ISE website or eve try googling ISEQ and see what that throws up!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

xebec wrote:
    The ISEQ index is a weighted average of all the stocks on the ISE. It's base value was 1000 in 1988, today it's at 8628.97, so in theory for your €1000 invested in 88, you would have €8628.97 today.

I'm not sure that's quite the answer to the question the OP was asking.

If the ISEQ is weighted then the 8628 figure cannot be used for calculating the value of 100 shares in each company ten years later. The ISEQ is heavily weighted towards the value of the main bank shares, which is one of the problems of using a tracker type investment -- you don't get true diversity

I think you'd have to take each individual share and work out the gain in each case and then sum the 100 totals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

How much would you have paid, how much would the investment be worth now, what return would you have got etc?

I think the OP is looking for somebody to do the work for him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hold this whilst I take a ........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

you need equal-weighted iseq historical prices (as opposed to the value-weighted iseq prices that commonly appear in the paper).

don't bother about the "100 shares thing", that needlessly complicates matters. Not sure if the ise.ie website has equal-weighted historical prices...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The proper question is "why the fvck did'nt I buy 100 stocks in every company on the ISEQ 10 years ago?"

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

mike65 wrote:
    The proper question is "why the fvck did'nt I buy 100 stocks in every company on the ISEQ 10 years ago?"

Mike.

I'd say like me - you didn't have the money !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

If I could go back in time I would have bought crap loads of stock in Apple and Microsoft, if only I could...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Forgive me, but its a stupid question as shares have listed, delisted, been split, merged, etc. Also some mining shares are individually nearly worthless, while the banking shares are worth 20-30 euros a piece.

Does one count dividends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

SOunds like the OP is expecting someone else to do his homework for him :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement