Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joan Burton Public Transport Meeting - Tue 7 Nov, Littlepace

Options
  • 01-11-2006 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭

I got a flier in the door about Joan Burton's (Labour) Public Transport Meeting on Tuesday 7 November in Dublin West. It will be in the "Paddocks" bar in Littlepace (between Blanch and Clonee).
    The line-up includes representatives of Dublin Bus, Irish Rail and the Dublin Transportation Office (DTO) who are attending, as they did last year, to discuss with residents what progress is being made to meet the demands of residents in Dublin 15.
    /me has been asked to represent Dublin 15 Community Council and ask a few hard questions.
    /me is dreading this and may find an excuse to be ill on the day :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Where is the Paddocks ?
    Hmmm that might be worth going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I was at the last one of these in laurel lodge. They are interesting alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Time to get those Flame proof shorts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Thaedydal wrote:
    Where is the Paddocks ?
    From looking at a MyHome.ie map, I think I found it.
    murphaph wrote:
    I was at the last one of these in laurel lodge. They are interesting alright.
    Yes, it was interesting. Unfortunately some members of the audience were quite rude - some asked questions that were answered moments before and no one took any personal responsibility to help the traffic situation - it was all "what are you going to do for me?"
    The DB and IR lads must have drawn a very short straw in the office to be the ones who had to go out to the meeting.

My favourite part was when someone suggested a multi storey car park at Coolmine train station. Someone else immediately stood up and strongly objected to the suggestion.

IMO. The only thing that public meetings achieve is as an indicator of public opinion, and a token gesture of PR for whoever meeting with the public. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thaedydal wrote:
    Where is the Paddocks ?
    Hmmm that might be worth going to.

The 270 bus route stops outside The Paddocks pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

Parking at Clonsilla train station would be nice and so would a pedestrain bridge so you don't have to risk life and limb walking from the station over the humpback bridge into oncoming traffic.
    AND fix the 39 bus service, it has to be the longest bus route in the city. It takes and 1hr and half from Ongar terminus to Dame Street. Its spends an hour of that going around Blanch and the shopping centre.

No matter what parking you have there, demand will exceed capacity. I think they should have a shuttle bus all over the area and a park and ride somewhere further out, feeding the trains, and feeding a shuttle bus to the bottom the quays. Most people would walk from the bottom of the quays or use the Luas if they could get at least that far.

They NEED to split up the 39 bus route.
    There should be a 39 a b and at least.

There used to be a 39, 39a, 39b and 39c a few years back. That was before the Blanch center though. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

daymobrew wrote:
    I got a flier in the door about Joan Burton's (Labour) Public Transport Meeting on Tuesday 7 November in Dublin West. It will be in the "Paddocks" bar in Littlepace (between Blanch and Clonee). /me has been asked to represent Dublin 15 Community Council and ask a few hard questions.
    /me is dreading this and may find an excuse to be ill on the day :p

Ask what Fingal CC propose to do in relation to feeder bus services to local rail stations as current parking facilities cannot cope and only contribute to local congestion, which defeats the purpose of public transport.

Stand tall, believe in yourself and most importantly, don't feel afraid to vent your frustration in relation to ANY transport issue in the area. You could also highlight the fact that a lot of planning in Hansfield was dependent on the forthcoming rail connection from Clonsilla (to Dunboyne) but is woefully inadequate, without accompanying bus services and will actively contribute to local road traffic congestion in the absence of a well thought out "local transport strategy".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I really pity the reps from Public Transport companies at these meetings as they will get people giving them grief over the bleeding obvious, and quite often over stuff that patently is not even wrong.

In the Blanch area, one area the powers that be need to sort out is to allocate more feeder routes in D 15 to take pressure off the local roads, to lessen the crawling routes the 37, 38 and 39 need to serve the local areas and to alleviate space on city bound buses that short hop passengers require. Feeding to the train will also be a help. Building extra car parking spaces at Coolmine, Clonsilla and Castleknock will just add to the car traffic around these stations, as well as de facto encouraging overcrowding on already packed commuter services until additional services can be provided (Hurry up Spencer Dock!)

Thaedydal wrote:
    They NEED to split up the 39 bus route.
    There should be a 39 a b and at least.
    We currently have the 39, 39A and 39C.

I remember in the NY there were mini buses that you could hop and hop off and they would drive all over the area, basically you could ask them do go anywhere. You paid a flat fee of something like €1.50. Very handy.

DerekP11 wrote:
    Ask what Fingal CC propose to do in relation to feeder bus services to local rail stations as current parking facilities cannot cope and only contribute to local congestion, which defeats the purpose of public transport.
    Is it a FCC issue or DoT/DB issue? I would have expected DoT/DB to be the decision makers wrt feeder buses.
    DerekP11 wrote:
    Stand tall, believe in yourself and most importantly, don't feel afraid to vent your frustration in relation to ANY transport issue in the area. You could also highlight the fact that a lot of planning in Hansfield was dependent on the forthcoming rail connection from Clonsilla (to Dunboyne) but is woefully inadequate, without accompanying bus services and will actively contribute to local road traffic congestion in the absence of a well thought out "local transport strategy".
    I plan to meet with the D15 Community Council chair (who gave me the list of questions) so that I am fully clear on the issues involved. As a cyclist (and sometimes pedestrian who is not afraid of a 25 min walk from Drumcondra train stn to East Point), most of the issues don't affect me. I also believe that some of the solutions lie with the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

As the reps who will be there on Tuesday are low on the chain, I highly recommend putting your views in writing to the Minister for Transport and the Dublin Bus Chief Executive.
    I've had good written conversations with Richard Fearn, Chief Executive of Irish Rail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

daymobrew wrote:
    Is it a FCC issue or DoT/DB issue? I would have expected DoT/DB to be the decision makers wrt feeder buses.

Its up to FCC to develop a coherent transport policy and then the DOT to assist in implementing it. The fundamental issue here, is the willingness of the DOT to subsidise a service, be it provided by CIE or a private operator.

IE run trains. They build car parks, Car parks get full, so they extend them and then they fill up beyond capacity again. Dublin Bus run buses along city centric routes. Bus feeder connections at local level, is a rather simple solution and should be the responsibility of a local council in terms of policy and implementation. Who runs them is irrelevent. The buck must stop with the council. They build roads and operate traffic lights, so they should face the music in terms of public transport.

Local connecting bus services are the only realistic way of feeding train stations. Park n Ride policies are failing left right and centre on our rail network, due to the retrograde nature of the improvements. Just judge Luas Park n Ride to any IE car park. A new build is easy, therefore traditional rail stations need an alternative method of connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think try to bring an adult (parent?) with you and there shouldn't be a real problem. You are there for the public meeting - not boozing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The 270,70x and 70 are a joke of a service. I often walk through to Hunstown to get a bus as its more reliable.

daymobrew wrote:
    We currently have the 39, 39A and 39C.

Yes there is a handful of 39a going into the city in the morning and a handfull coming out of the city in the early evening it is not a serperate route.

Again the 39c like the 39 a skips part of the whole 39 route and is not a seperate route in it's own right.

The whole 39 route needs to be split up into spertate smaller routes like the 40a/b/c/d is in finglas.

Hopefully the added off and on ramps to the m50 ( when ever they get done :rolleyes: ) will stop the traffic as far back as the blanch shopping centre getting backed up due to the slow moving traffic on to and off the m50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

www.unison.ie - Breaking News

11:48 Sunday November 5th 2006

The Labour party has strongly criticised the sustainability of the Government's long term transport strategy, complaining the plan suffers from a lack of detail.
    Although the Government's Transport 21 plan delivered most of its undertaking on time and under budget, Labour's spokeswoman on finance, Joan Burton, questioned its ability to sustain the project in the future.

Critics of the €3.6 billion plan claim it is "high on aspiration, overambitious on targets, and in danger of falling behind in its delivery".

Joan Burton said future projects will take longer to tender and will end up more expensive and that it will be another decade at least before Ireland has a satisfactory transport system.

"My concern would be that although Transport 21 has a lot of ideas I would be thrilled to see happening in Dublin, the detail work to see this happen within a reasonable time frame simply isn't there," she said

http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/?ca=39&si=100875&breakingnews=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Whoever was on duty at unison.ie yesterday needs to brush up on a number of things.

They had a report on Thomas "slab" Murphy and his dealings with the CAB. According to the report from the indo website, he earns some money from his farm, which is, apparently, "straddled by the border".

One would have thought that his farm was doing the "straddling", rather than the other way around.

Now we have this report. It has been fairly well publicised that the amount of money involved in T21 is 34.4 billion euro. Where this figure of 3.6 billion comes from is a mystery.

I went to the meeting last night. Maybe 60 or so people attended (maybe less).

Declan Murray, Divisional Mgr at Dublin Bus started by telling us of a new 'record' journey time for a 39 that morning. It left Ongar at 8:24 and arrived in town at 10:38!! The current average is 110mins.
    • 10% (~100 buses) of the Dublin Bus fleet is in Dublin 15.
    • DB have approval for 100 new buses (~28 for D15)
    • DB have not had any new buses since 2000 (Govt fighting over privatisation).
    • Mr Murray has a 4 yr plan to reduce time to town to 1 hour.
    • DB/Fingal are working on N3 QBC at Snugborough Rd. The N3 bus lane is in legal limbo so Gardai cannot enforce it, this leads to bus delays.
    • Need more bus priority in Blanch and at N3/M50 junction. Bus delays are because the buses are stuck in traffic with everyone else.
    • NRA is also a blocker - DB cannot get any additional bus lanes without their approval.
    • Need more direct routes that don't do scenic tours of D15.
    • Need more local services similar to 237 etc as there is daytime demand.
    • There are plans for a 70B route that will run from Ongar Road, through Littlepace, and onto N3. Should help those that see full 70 route buses pass them.

Michael Power, Service Planning Mgr for Northern/Western area, Irish Rail described the current situation and various plans.
    • The new (Dec 2005) services, catering for 2000 passengers, are almost fully utilised.
    • Docklands station to open 12 March 2007.
    • 4 extra services to Docklands from Clonsilla in morning (arrive before 9:15am).
    • 4 new services (Docklands to Clonsilla) leaving after 5pm.
    • 20 minute journey time to/from Docklands.
    • Hourly service off peak to/from Docklands.
    • Initially Docklands service will be 2 or 4 carriages (because of lack of rolling stock).
    • Docklands services will *not* take away from current services.
    • Dublin Bus will provide bus link to Connolly/City Centre.
    • New timetable mid January 2007 with extra off peak and late night service. The new timetable will have more Sunday trains too.
    • Late in 2007 new rolling stock will arrive and be put in service. This will allow bumping 4 carriage services to 8 carriages.
    • New rolling stock will result in additional services in Dec 2007 timetable update.
    • The Clonsilla/Dunboyne/Pace spur will go for public consultation early 2007; works order/planning permission summer 2007; build start early 2008; open late 2009;
    • Plan for peak services every 15 mins. Three stations on the line: Pace (adjacent to M3, will have a Park'n'Ride facility), Dunboyne and Hansfield. Next station is Clonsilla.

Lots of people were quite angry. Mr Murray was happy to agree with them that the services were poor. Later he told me that the traffic congestion was costing him a fortune - to provide very frequent services he has to throw loads of buses to D15. He compared the 46A QBC - it is 4 miles longer than 39 QBC but runs much better. Kieran of Dublin 15 Community Council (a speaker at the meeting so I didn't have to ask the questions on his behalf :D ) said that the 39 QBC only had 22% dedicated bus lane!!

Joan Burton told everyone to write to Bertie to tell him of the high demand for public transport in Dublin 15. Even 5 emails would make him think about the issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

daymobrew wrote:
    Declan Murray, Divisional Mgr at Dublin Bus started by telling us of a new 'record' journey time for a 39 that morning. It left Ongar at 8:24 and arrived in town at 10:38!! The current average is 110mins.

Wow. Baby Jesus cried.

I think at this time, people in Blanch should be investing in Push Me Pull Yous (http://homepage.mac.com/a.eppendahl/work/push-me-pull-you.gif) and using the train line to get into town.

Did the DTO guys show up or say anything?

markpb wrote:
    I think at this time, people in Blanch should be investing in Push Me Pull Yous (http://homepage.mac.com/a.eppendahl/work/push-me-pull-you.gif) and using the train line to get into town.

Did the DTO guys show up or say anything?
    DTO were invited but said that a rep was not available. As the DTO opposes Park'n'Ride facilities, their absense was probably wise :p . The DTO wants feeder buses bringing people to train stations, though Dublin Bus said that all of their DART feeders were removed because of under utilisation! The 39 route does bring 800 people to Clonsilla station each day!

For 110min journeys, one could cycle to town at a non-sweaty pace and still beat the bus. Even cycling to the train would be a good idea. Irish Rail are open to providing secure bike facilities (considerably cheaper than P'n'R facilities). It doesn't rain half as often as people think.

Of course, I think that flex time and 'work at home' schemes can also help the situation.

A lot of the DART feeders are in areas where there are routes where there are good buslanes. So its actually as quick to get the bus instead of the DART, especially if the bus leaves you closer to your end destination.

The main problem in D.15 is that is bottled all along the route in places where theres no bus lanes. Unless that gets sorted the buses will always take ages. Has been the same for 20 yrs. I can walk to the train so its not something I'd be interested in. My problem with the train is that is dangerously overcrowded and the facilities are very poor at the stations. We should haver shelter from bad weather, a shop and properly maintained toliets etc. I've seen better train stations in third world countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

daymobrew wrote:
    • Hourly service off peak to/from Docklands.

That's a real shame. It's probably down to rolling stock again, but you'll never get people to "think train" with a service that lean.

Dermot

• Advertisement

Advertisement