Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool DVD/Media Streamer

Options
  • 31-10-2006 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

Edit: On 2nd thought, maybe this should be in HTPC/MC forum? :confused::o

Ziova CS505.
    No need to build that HTPC if you want to play your Hard Drive media, hook this up wirelessly and off you go!

The guy I emailed said they should be out before Xmas. :D

I guess they will be about the same price as the Aussie-and-US-only unit that came before it, about €300-400 (cheaper than a full HTPC anyway).
    There's also one without a DVD player.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Conar

It doesn't actually record TV though.
    Personally I'd just buy a USB HDD Media player.

It is nice that it can play your media over the network but it seems like a lot of money to pay for the luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

No need to build that HTPC if you want to play your Hard Drive media, hook this up wirelessly and off you go!

Meh, the only thing of note is DRM support and I'm not even sure if thats a good thing.
    I guess they will be about the same price as the Aussie-and-US-only unit that came before it, about €300-400 (cheaper than a full HTPC anyway).
    There's also one without a DVD player.

TBH you could pickup a used PC for 150e that gives you much more flexibility. HTPC's dont need to be cutting edge, far from it in fact. In SOME cases you can get away with a PIII 800 (40-50e) for all your needs. Now obviously there is more setup required, but TBH most people get a unit like this wireless one and quickly get fed up as its so limited.

/edit

Looks like it has HDCP which in fairness you are not going to get on the 150e PC, then again I dont know what use it is as it wont be transferring encrypted content :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Encrypted content? You mean that HDCP thing? I haven't been following all these technologies recently.
    I'd just use it to play dvds and Xvids/DivX and other stuff from my hard drive. :)

BopNiblets wrote:
    Encrypted content? You mean that HDCP thing? I haven't been following all these technologies recently.
    I'd just use it to play dvds and Xvids/DivX and other stuff from my hard drive. :)

Yup encryption. 400e is a lot to pay for a network Divx player.

If you are just playing Xvid etc etc, then the original Xbox and XBMC are your friends. If you dont want to install it yourself, theres plenty of boardsies who will do it for you.

Wireless (if you insist on having it) can be added by getting a network bridge such as the Dlink AP2000+. You can get one of these for about 40e, and you also have the benefit of being able to position it better and use an external antenna if your coverage is dodgy.

Of course, if you have HiDef content then you need some beefier hardware.

Theres also the Hauppage Media MVP (99e approx) which is available in wireless versions too.

Aha! But this is all in one! :p
    Besides, my old region free CyberHome DVD player is on the blink, can an XBox play region free DVDs? Probably, but it still seems like too much work for me, and I hate buying old technology, I feel dirty after! It's gotta be spanking new and shiny! :D

Yes, I probably need help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Conar

What about the KISS media players?
    They provide a good out-of-the-box HTPC style solution.
    And at least they can record/pause live TV too.
    http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=vr558en&v=users

EDIT:
    And you can connect to it from the office to schedule recordings etc....great nerdy option.

Just thinking of another strike against this wireless player (positive git aren't I?).

Its really only useful if you plan running one of them wirelessly as WiFi is half-duplex and shared between all the clients. G class in a real world is barely enough forthree simultaneous 1200Kb streams, so what happens when you stream HD content?

Of course technologies like MiMo help this, but with a closed unit you cant avail of it unless you get a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

dont believe all you read. I have the buffalo and so do 2 other people I know and I've had no trouble with it.

my main unit is the pinnacle showcenter as I usually just rip the dvd's (keep them in vob)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Conar wrote:
    What about the KISS media players?
    They provide a good out-of-the-box HTPC style solution.
    And at least they can record/pause live TV too.
    http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=vr558en&v=users

EDIT:
    And you can connect to it from the office to schedule recordings etc....great nerdy option.

I have one myself and have modded it with 3rd party firmware to get the best out of it.

It will stream lots of files from your PC, but there is something in the pipeline that will allow you to stream recorded content from your kiss player to your PC (ie, recorded shows).

I'd recommend people to give kiss a shot.

Advertisement