Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five-String Upgrade

Options
  • 30-10-2006 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Playing bass these days, I tend to find myself running down, only to run out of room at the bottom of the lick, so thinking of selling the Warwick and upgrading to a five-string of some variety. There isn't any spare cash, since I'm also saving for a seven-string, for which I will not be selling the Les Paul. So, any estimations on what'd be a good five-string for the same money I'd get for the Warwick? I'd rather go second-hand if possible, see no point in paying inflated prices for new instruments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Have you played my Mahogany/Padauk/Bubinga Ibanez with the bartolini preamp and pickups? Its a stunning bass, i think they do it in a 5 string too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Don't believe I have Freak m'dear. Would kinda prefer neck-through by the way, and I don't think I'll get over a grand for my Streamer, so let that be the benchmark for prices. Want a clear and punchy tone as well, somewhere between a Jazz and my Streamer would be a good thought.

Hmm thats a tough one, how about.... a Bacchus from the U box? Although I dont believe theyre neck thru

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Well, how much did you pay for your Warwick? Easier to work with a budget ;)

I never got taxed or anything, so got it for about 550, but I have no intention of seeling it for so little, it's worth a lot more. CAll the budget about 800-1000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

make sure you try out the warwick before buying i swear its like playing a tree trunk but then again the tone makes it all wort while.

I own the Warwick, and I've disagreed with you about the neck in the past, I don't see your problem, it's meaty, but not too meaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

ahh right you are, I dunno just dont like em, sur you have your prefrences and i have mine, still though you gotta love that warwick growl.

I discovered this rather sexy beast in Music Maker yesterday...
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/peavey_c5nt.htm

feylya wrote:
    I discovered this rather sexy beast in Music Maker yesterday...
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/peavey_c5nt.htm
    Bargaineous, whats the irish RRP on that?

• Advertisement

€469 I think in MM. I almost bought the fecker on the spot. Really nice, 9 peice neckthrough too!

I actually was playing that yesterday morning, coincidentally, but it was ****ing horrible to play. Dead spots all over the neck, and so badly set up it was unrealistic. Looked lovely, and had a sweet tone, but it was ****ed playability-wise.

Come on, how many guitars in MM are unplayable? A large majority imo. Especially the basses. Would be a fantastic machine with a bit of work and a few upgrades.

This thing was an absolute dud though, a lot of deformities in the neck that I dunno if any setup would have been enough to buff out to be honest. Pity, because it was damn nice to play as well, gorgeous neck-through construction.

The way I see it, it's a solid bass. I didn't see any issues with the neck but I didn't play around on it for too long. Now, considering that you can get it for €370, spend €130 on a complete setup, fret level etc and you'll have a great guitar. I'm really tempted myself tbh but a strat is first.

Also, is it just me or does the thomann webpage name look like Peavey_cvnt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ishibashi. Bacchus. No messing, there is no better deal out there.

Save the extra required and get a true top of the line bass instead of compromising now for the sake of a couple hundred quid and getting a vastly inferior instrument.

Trust me :)

I do have my eye on a particularly delicious flamed blue five-string Bacchus alright. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Keep it there. They are top of the range basses and no mistake, but for the money (ie about the same as a mid-range Korean bass) they are insanely good value.

Advertisement